Deadline June

Please don't abuse each other on my journal thread!

Firstly, whether traderman1 is a tool or not may well be up for discussion, but please, not on this thread. Traderman1, you could certainly make your posts a lot more palatable for other people with next to no effort. I do actually have the ability to prevent either of you posting on this thread. Although I don't want to, if you can't discuss something - preferably involving me, but more to the point reasonably then watch what happens when you next look for the 'reply' button.

Re: TurningPoints Improvements Needed

Here's the USD/CHF. My innocent little system is looking out for swings backwards and forwards and instead of sticking to its established frequency to and fro, the Swissie doubled speed and delivered a sharp whipsaw. 2/16 on the chart.

I think it had something to do with the Iranians sending warships through the Suez Canal - or something similar, I didn't catch the news when it happened on Wednesday.

It bought in pretty much at the top after a strong rise.

That is often not a good sign that things are unfolding dependably.

Secondly the second bar after the system went long turned into a real stinker - an opportunity to bail out which could have saved 30 - 40 pips.

They're definitely things to backtest, although knowing the markets for what they are, it would probably have an overall negative impact to start tinkering like that.

Attachments

• $USDCHF (60 Min)  17_02_2011.jpg
    $USDCHF (60 Min) 17_02_2011.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 179
Re: Please don't abuse each other on my journal thread!

Firstly, whether traderman1 is a tool or not may well be up for discussion, but please, not on this thread. Traderman1, you could certainly make your posts a lot more palatable for other people with next to no effort. I do actually have the ability to prevent either of you posting on this thread. Although I don't want to, if you can't discuss something - preferably involving me, but more to the point reasonably then watch what happens when you next look for the 'reply' button.

Sorry Adam.

Hey, Adamus, here's a trading recommendation for you:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/85510-my-journal-2-a-208.html#post1432616

But only if you're willing to stay with the trade for a loss of a few thousand dollars. Otherwise don't even enter it.

Or rather: put it like this. Stoploss of 2k (3.7), takeprofit of 4k (4.3). Take it or leave it.

Why don't I do it? Because I wouldn't sleep at night, and I would close it early (eithe way, whether profitable or not) by how anxious I'd be.

Last edited:
Hey, Adamus, here's a trading recommendation for you:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/85510-my-journal-2-a-208.html#post1432616

But only if you're willing to stay with the trade for a loss of a few thousand dollars. Otherwise don't even enter it.

Or rather: put it like this. Stoploss of 2k (3.7), takeprofit of 4k (4.3). Take it or leave it.

Why don't I do it? Because I wouldn't sleep at night, and I would close it early (eithe way, whether profitable or not) by how anxious I'd be.

Hi Travis, thanks for the tip. You're wasting it on me though. I have no idea of the odds - well actually I do, for me the odds are 50:50. To tell you the truth, and to give you a bit of credit, you make good calls so maybe the odds would be more than that, but you don't make enough calls for me to consider them to have an edge worth exploiting.

Well, usually I spot these opportunities once a week. I would be grateful if others told me "hey, look, this market is extremely oversold". It's not about following my advice blindly but just taking a look at the market I am mentioning.

Core set of currencies to use for multiple forex pair trading systems

As a starting point, I have settled on the following five pairs to use as my core set of markets for my multiple instrument systems:

AUD/USD
EUR/GBP
EUR/CHF
EUR/USD
USD/JPY

This is just guesswork based on my aims
(a) to avoid a USD-heavy exposure
(b) to avoid correlations as much as possible
(c) to keep the average bid/ask spread low

I am tempted to put AUD/CAD in there, but it's not liquid and violates (c). Everything else violates either (a) or (b) - e.g. GBP/USD, EUR/JPY, USD/CHF

This gives me 3 different sets to consider when implementing a new system.

My standard set includes the following which was defined by the availability of the historical data:

AUD/JPY
AUD/USD
CHF/JPY
EUR/CHF
EUR/GBP
EUR/JPY
EUR/USD
GBP/CHF
GBP/JPY
GBP/USD
USD/CAD
USD/CHF
USD/JPY

The downside is that it's quite USD-heavy and inter-correlated.

The last extended set is:

AUD/CAD
AUD/CHF
AUD/JPY
AUD/USD
CAD/CHF
CAD/JPY
CHF/JPY
EUR/AUD
EUR/CAD
EUR/CHF
EUR/GBP
EUR/JPY
EUR/USD
GBP/AUD
GBP/CAD
GBP/CHF
GBP/JPY
GBP/USD
USD/CAD
USD/CHF
USD/JPY

This includes the kitchen sink basically. It has a tendency to correlate but the worst downside is the size of the bid/ask spread. That's also the reason why there's no NZD, ZAR or SKR in there.

I would also consider XAU or XAG etc but Interactive Brokers don't offer them.

Just for the record my original intention and much of my backtesting experience has been futures. If I traded futures I'd have much more potential to avoid USD over-exposure and presumably inter-market correlation. The required investment of time in obtaining and managed and using intra-day futures data (with NT7 especially) is a barrier to entry at this time.

Well, usually I spot these opportunities once a week. I would be grateful if others told me "hey, look, this market is extremely oversold". It's not about following my advice blindly but just taking a look at the market I am mentioning.

I remember your trade in Crude and the things you talked about then. But even so, for me, oversold and overbought are not something I can see on a chart or recognise when a percentage movement level is reached. I have to become familiar with the instrument over weeks and even then I'm not happy doing it. I'd rather code it and backtest it.

But you should start a signal service on your journal. Take a look at the markets every day and give tips with a target, a stop and a time exit. If you do that for a year, the results would be very interesting.

I won't do it on a regular basis, because I agree with you that automated trading is better. But I can't help noticing some opportunities every once in a while.

Re: Core set of currencies to use for multiple forex pair trading systems

As a starting point, I have settled on the following five pairs to use as my core set of markets for my multiple instrument systems:

AUD/USD
EUR/GBP
EUR/CHF
EUR/USD
USD/JPY

I'm going to run some out-of-sample tests using this set now with the Gap Filler system and I'll post the results. This raises a logical problem concerning backtesting. It means I'm giving myself 3 chances to get the out-of-sample test to work, because I'm testing the out-of-sample with 3 seperate sets.

The reality of how much money the system will make over the next ten years is actually fixed already, I just have to decide to trade it or not - I'm not going to tweak the system anymore. Not without watching it live for a while.

I'm indecisive about the pairs in the core set. I want six pairs, so I want to swop EUR/USD for EUR/JPY and to add USD/CHF

HTML:
(a) AUD/USD       (b) AUD/USD
     EUR/GBP             EUR/GBP
     EUR/CHF             EUR/CHF
     EUR/USD             EUR/JPY
     USD/JPY              USD/JPY
                               USD/CHF

Re: Gap Filler - out-of-sample comes good

Optimised result - 2001 - 2008 disktrading data:

HTML:
Instrument    Total Net Profit    Average Trade    Total # of Trades
$AUDJPY_DTC    22660.00    70.37    322
$AUDUSD_DTC    12080.00    36.06    335
$CHFJPY_DTC    15930.00    48.72    327
$EURCHF_DTC    13385.00    52.08    257
$EURGBP_DTC    7475.00    25.78    290
$EURJPY_DTC    22795.00    70.57    323
$EURUSD_DTC    11045.00    32.97    335
$GBPCHF_DTC    26655.00    87.97    303
$GBPJPY_DTC    27770.00    84.41    329
$GBPUSD_DTC    10850.00    34.01    319
$USDCAD_DTC    10495.00    34.30    306
$USDCHF_DTC    12140.00    36.46    333
$USDJPY_DTC    17685.00    50.67    349
COMBINED RESULTS    210965.00    51.11    4128
Out-of-sample, 2009 - 2010

HTML:
Instrument    Total Net Profit    Average Trade    Total # of Trades
$AUDJPY_DTC    -1355.00    -33.88    40
$AUDUSD_DTC    2305.00    52.39    44
$CHFJPY_DTC    1340.00    34.36    39
$EURCHF_DTC    3530.00    84.05    42
$EURGBP_DTC    2130.00    50.71    42
$EURJPY_DTC    1150.00    27.38    42
$EURUSD_DTC    835.00    18.15    46
$GBPCHF_DTC    11315.00    257.16    44
$GBPJPY_DTC    10320.00    234.55    44
$GBPUSD_DTC    2055.00    66.29    31
$USDCAD_DTC    380.00    10.86    35
$USDCHF_DTC    2275.00    54.17    42
$USDJPY_DTC    1600.00    37.21    43
COMBINED RESULTS    37880.00    70.94    534

Apparently the only way to improve the implementation in the script is to use a 1 tick series for the backtest so I might do that later.

Of course! I Stupido! My system takes every gap, even the 1 point gaps. I need to filter out the tiny gaps that don't even offer enough reward to cover the commission and slippage.

In the meantime I'm going to set these off tonight on the simulation account to see whether the NinjaTrader code I wrote works live.

I have 5 different tasks running in parallel right now and it's not conducive to blogging about it here but it needs to be reported on before the finest details escape me.

First I ran the out-of-sample tests on the core, standard and extended sets and the results were not good. The core set fails to profit at all, it runs up about $2000 profit in the two years out-of-sample. I ran the backtests on the standard set, so I have no real statistical comparison from backtest to out-of-sample on the core set.

The standard set's out-of-sample performance was not inspiring. It profits but drawdown is about 50% of profit and the equity curve sucks, and it looks worse and worse as you add in transaction costs. So I wouldn't trade it.

The extended set performs fantastically though. This is pretty much the most difficult outcome to get to grips with.

- the extended set out-of-sample includes 10 forex pairs that I didn't use in the backtest, so again I have no direct comparison available. I have the data for the backtest period for the instruments, but I will have to load it into NT7 to be able to test against it

- the great performance comes from the extra forex pairs in the extended set that are not in the standard set, obviously, since the standard set's performance was so mediocre. This means I actually have another set - the exotic crosses - which is the only set which I would consider trading on the basis of out-of-sample.

- the exotics have a much higher transaction cost due to spreads and slippage.

Here is the result - this is with round turn $30 transaction costs:

HTML:
			12 FXCM exotic OOS+15
Total Profit	$53510.00
Commission	$19170.00
Profit Factor	1.77
Max. Drawdown	$-6160.00
Sharpe Ratio	0.51
Profit/DD		8.69
Start Date		01/12/2008
End Date		31/12/2010
Total Trades	639
% Profitable	84.04%
Average Trade	$83.74
Average Win	$228.82
Average Loss	$-680.05
Ratio Win:Loss	0.34
Largest + Week	$3570
Largest - Week	$-5185
Trades / Day	0.84
Profit / Month	$2214.46
Max. Recovery	448.05 days

So my actions on this system now will be:

- load FXCM data for 2000 - 2008 for backtest comparison of exotic set

- investigate what the difference was between my first out-of-sample success for the standard set and the second strategy which produced such mediocre results: my guess is that it was the limit order entry, which was necessary to make the backtest results realistic.

Attachments

• GapFillerEquityCurve12-FXCM-exotic-oos+15.jpg
    GapFillerEquityCurve12-FXCM-exotic-oos+15.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 153
Re: This week's 7 Habits priority setting

Still slacking on my goal setting. Hopefully once the Gap Filler system is sorted out one way or the other, I won't over-prioritise it on my Sunday afternoons. Plus I need that 7 Habits diary to write all this stuff down in, since my family and social life is equally unplanned at the moment and it all ends up being organised on the hoof.

Long Term Goals

(1) Make a million. I decided this is way too simple. I've done some forecasting to work out what's possible, when and how.

(2) Build a trading platform that does all the good things I need that I know from the various different trading platforms I've used or evaluated, e.g. TradeStation, NinjaTrader, TradingBlox as an open-source collaborative project made up of trader-developers.

Medium Term Goals

(1) Find or invent, write, test and implement trading systems.

(2) Software for foundation of trading platform - name it, get it up and running without the database performance issue it currently has dealing with millions of trades.

(3) A new one - I'm not entirely satisfied with the journal here on T2W as a resource. I would like a blog with added functionality including some privacy options, back-up options and journal 'dumping' to xml file or similar.

Short Term Goals

(1) Gap Filler system: have done some out-of-sample tests that were inconclusive and lead to two more tasks.

- sort out data needed for backtesting the extended set.

- establish what broke between the out-of-sample test run on Jan 23rd and now

(2) Other low hanging fruit in the systems ideas list I have: Joel Rensink's One Night Stand and First Strike systems. No progress last week again. I didn't even look at it.

(3) Get some kind of definitive response from British Telecom on the network problems causing the disconnects in the IB TWS logs. Last week's out-of-office replies from the support turned into "You need to use a VPN", which was too casual - I need to get an admission of failure so that the 18 month contract is voided. In the meantime I'm going to take my trading machine around to a friend's house who uses Virgin Broadband. This should demonstrate whether I can run IB TWS overnight without any disconnects, especially between 4AM and 5AM.

(4) Software - name it - haven't thought up anything good enough yet. Still to set up the project testing batch run and code a database performance test which fails if it falls below a desired level.

(5) Sofware 2: get Apache and Tomcat running together on VPS. Managed a day on this, got somewhere, not sure how close to success though.

(6) VPS for NinjaTrader - find best hosting service. If I get this done now, I might not need to worry about the lousy BT broadband.

(7) I'm putting together a spreadsheet to allow me to forecast my threshold to geometric equity growth using various input parameters. It's a tacit admission that I need more money now, so I'm modelling how many months of work are required. Parameters:
- starting account size
- pay-in to account per month to increase starting capital
- change-over date from working 9-5 paying money in, over to working on trading only and taking money out
- take-out per month when trading for a living
- days to build one trading system and get it ready to trade
- avg return per month per trading system trading 1 lot (or 100K)
- avg margin required per trading system trading 1 lot
- maximum lot size (it would be nice if this parameter became important)

Last edited:
Threshold to Geometric Compounding

A spreadsheet to allow me to forecast my threshold to geometric equity growth using various input parameters:

a tacit admission that I need more money now, so I'm forecasting how many months of salaried work are required to get my account size up to a level where it will compound exponentially despite withdrawing profits for living expenses.

It'll be easy enough to code the formula with a month per row, either adding to the account equity with deposits before the trading-for-a-living date or subtracting the living expenses after.

I'll have to decide on values for the typical average trading system, (a) how much margin per lot it requires and (b) how much profit per lot it makes.

Each month I can add profits from trading, based on the account equity available for margin and the number of systems running.

Every x number of days I can add another trading system, as I develop them.

These are the parameters:

- starting account size (what I have now)

- pay-in to account per month to increase starting capital

- change-over date from working 9-5 paying money in, over to working on trading only and taking money out

- profit-take per month when trading for a living

- average number of days to build one trading system and get it ready to trade

- avg return per month per trading system trading 1 lot (or 100K)

- avg margin required per trading system trading 1 lot

- maximum lot size (it would be nice if this parameter became important)

The big question is what to use for parameter values. All of the parameters have an effect on the rate of compounding, some surprisingly more, others less.

I don't want to add it as an attachment because I won't be able to change it if I find an error later, like just now. I'll see what I can do with it.

Last edited:
Re: Threshold to Geometric Compounding

It looks like I don't have any choice if I want to upload the spreadsheet here. It only works as an attachment. So here it is as of 2011-02-23 and I won't be able to update it after a couple of days even if I want to, i.e. it might have errors in it.

Estimating the correct profit per system per month to enter is the trickiest bit. The urge to overestimate it is strong, but it's good to see that even when using a conservative estimate, the compounding can still kick in effectively.

Estimating the margin required per system is also tricky. I'm using what I consider reasonable, i.e what I'm using now - £14K, but I need to work out the optimal fixed fraction a la Ralph Vince Mathmatics of Money Management which should allow me to bring that down.

I put in an option to use whole lots only or fractions of lots, and it makes a major difference. One big advantage of trading forex. This is the same principle that allows you to compound your savings account faster if you receive your interest on a daily basis. When rounding down how much cash you use to reflect the whole lots you trade, cash is left on the side - if you can trade fractions of lots as in forex, more is used for making money.

Attachments

• ThresholdToGeometric.xls
    307.5 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Last chance to get on board of the NG, at least with a mini contract QG.

Snap1.jpg

EUR/CAD - the system was obviously looking for the market to climb back up to 1.3620 but should have picked up on the downtrend from the high of 23/02/2011, or perhaps better, should have seen that the consolidation around 1.3560 was a swing high.

Attachments

• $EURCAD (60 Min)  01_03_2011.jpg
    $EURCAD (60 Min) 01_03_2011.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 159

Didn't catch any of AUD/USD over the last 4 days. The swings were too fast.

And now it's picked up on it, it's obviously looking at swings that are bigger than the visually obvious ones.

.... and now it turns out it was OK after all.

Attachments

• $AUDUSD (60 Min)  01_03_2011.jpg
    $AUDUSD (60 Min) 01_03_2011.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 160
  • $AUDUSD (60 Min)  01_03_2011-2.jpg
    $AUDUSD (60 Min) 01_03_2011-2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 164
  • $AUDUSD (60 Min)  01_03_2011-3.jpg
    $AUDUSD (60 Min) 01_03_2011-3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
last week's 7 Habits accomplished or not

Short Term Goals

(1) Gap Filler system: have done some out-of-sample tests that were inconclusive and lead to two more tasks.

I needed to code something up in Java to translate the FXCM 1 min bar data into the NinjaTrader format and I got precisly nowhere with that. I only needed it to check that the performance of the exotic crosses was similar in the test period and the out-of-sample period. Since I want to find a solution to trading it across my standard set of currencies, I de-prioritised this one.

I still need to look at my very first tests which were good and where I cheated and took a sneek peek at the results for the out-of-sample which proved good. I failed to keep the code for that first script so I'm going to have to try to remember or guess what I was doing then.

(2) Other low hanging fruit in the systems ideas list I have: Joel Rensink's One Night Stand and First Strike systems. No progress last week again. I didn't even look at it.

No progress.

(3) Get some kind of definitive response from British Telecom on the network problems causing the disconnects in the IB TWS logs. Last week's out-of-office replies from the support turned into "You need to use a VPN", which was too casual - I need to get an admission of failure so that the 18 month contract is voided. In the meantime I'm going to take my trading machine around to a friend's house who uses Virgin Broadband. This should demonstrate whether I can run IB TWS overnight without any disconnects, especially between 4AM and 5AM.

"I have had TMC check all on the BT network and we cannot find anything that is causing this connection to fail. I am sorry that I cannot provide you with a solution to the problem."

(4) Software - name it - haven't thought up anything good enough yet. Still to set up the project testing batch run and code a database performance test which fails if it falls below a desired level.

No progress.

(5) Sofware 2: get Apache and Tomcat running together on VPS.

Also no progress

(6) VPS for NinjaTrader - find best hosting service.

Also no progress

(7) I'm putting together a spreadsheet to allow me to forecast my threshold to geometric equity growth using various input parameters. It's a tacit admission that I need more money now, so I'm modelling how many months of work are required.

Did this. Very interesting. Without getting too wrapped up in it, it shows that in essence the first 5 years or so, or 10 if I use conservative values, are difficult, but then once the monthly income generated moves over the threshold to geometric increase, income will increase 10 fold every three years or so. The sobering conclusion is this: just don't take any money out until that threshold is reached, and don't take out so much that the monthly income falls back below it. I'll attach the chart, one for optimistic and one for conservative parameters.

Last edited:
Re: Threshold to Geometric Equity Increase

This is with conservative values.
Start Date 4/1/2011
Starting Account 25000
Pay-in per month before date 2500
Take-out per month after 1500
Change over date 3/15/2013
Margin per system per lot 18000
Minimum Lot Size 1
Maximum Lot Size 25
Return per month per system 600
Number of systems at start 2
Days to build one system 200
Use fractional lots Y/N y

That's starting capital of £25000 using £18000 margin per lot/100K assuming a return of £600 per system per month - for the accountants out there, that's 3.3% per month, based on 25% of my out-of-sample net return (net of commission, slippage and tax).

Fractional lot sizes is only possible in forex, not futures and it makes a big difference.

A couple of broad points to bear in mind:

- the steadier the real income, the more reality will look like this chart, so the more systems the better, the less correlation between them, the better.

- after the threshold, it all becomes easy. With these input parameters, equity grows 10 fold every 6 years.

- getting to that threshold is difficult since income is subject to bigger drawdowns from the limited no of systems.

So the interesting bit of the exercise, once one puts aside the nice idea of actually being rich, is how to get there, or how to survive the first part of the growth to geometric.

I see several factors needing to be balanced cleverly so as not to endanger the whole operation with excessive risk:

- more salaried work to build capital = more capital = more systems deployed = less risk

- more salaried work to build capital = less time to build systems = fewer systems deployed = more risk

- more systems = less risk, so minimise the effort per system built

- less system correlation = less risk, so maximise effort per system built

- less system drawdown = less risk, so maximise effort per system built

So I could slog my way through the next couple of years trying to hold down a job, build new systems and trade existing ones, but my main thought here is that building new systems is the most important part and by working 9 to 5 I would severely cut back not only the time I had to build systems, but also the effectiveness and inventiveness that I have developed over the last year.

Attachments

• MyHTML1.gif
    MyHTML1.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 186
Open Invitation to All Mechanical Traders

To all mechanical traders who are at the same point as me in their career - limited capital and limited time and potentially big starting-out risks: the most logical answer is to pool capital and system to reduce basic risk from drawdown in the initial phase of building up the capital and systems portfolio.

If my explanations in the preceding post make sense and you're interested, get in touch by pm and let's talk.