dbfx - Market maker or ECN?

CFR's take on FX and the Banks the make up Interbank. It is somewhat long but might be worth the read.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-brokers/44854-dbfx-market-maker-ecn-14.html#post1055880

Yeah (sigh) kinda tough going reading that, and it was a bit lacking in focus. Some good info, but the way it was written ended up sounding more like a conspiracy theory type semi-rant from where I'm sitting. Not to say there isn't an inner circle mind you.....

Anyhone care to give me basic lesson on what people doing on spot FX?

I by chance looked today into aud/nzd. I never traded FX except CME futures. But A/N is dead on CME..

So I thought - there should be life on spot markets. So I remembered names like FXCM and Oanda.. I quickly opened paper trading accounts - I need to see how does it work.

I was surprised to find that the spread is 6 - 7 (what you call it pips?)... I genuinely tried to understand how people can trade with such spread but couldnt figure that out.

So I thought it might be bucket shops who made these spreads up...

My question - what kind of spreads are available to trade spot FX in principle. And how what are initial account size needed to open?

Like a little table:
Bucket shops - 7p, account - very small.
??

I mean - this is not secret information I hope. For a guy who is in the picture it might take 1 min to type.. For me it will take few hours of reading forums filled with ravaging psychopats and delusional elite traders and few phone calls to brokers.

I'd appreciate a quick introduction.

Thanks

anyone?

what I have discovered myself... AUD/USD future trades 1-2 tick spread on CME, NZD/USD 1-2... Sooo.. the max spread for AUD/NZD is 3.

FXCM quotes 6-7 as I watch it now. Even more baffling is that it was 2.1, 3.2 and 7.0 respectively... 2.1 + 3.2 <> 7.0

so the question still is - is there smaller spreads exist and if not - still curious how do you "forex people" trade this crap and most important - why?

Cheers

P.S. this not sarcastic or rethoric.. I am genuinely trying to understand what am I missing here..

Last edited:
anyone?

what I have discovered myself... AUD/USD future trades 1-2 tick spread on CME, NZD/USD 1-2... Sooo.. the max spread for AUD/NZD is 3.

FXCM quotes 6-7 as I watch it now. Even more baffling is that it was 2.1, 3.2 and 7.0 respectively... 2.1 + 3.2 <> 7.0

so the question still is - is there smaller spreads exist and if not - still curious how do you "forex people" trade this crap and most important - why?

Cheers

P.S. this not sarcastic or rethoric.. I am genuinely trying to understand what am I missing here..

I think what you are missing is what many people in this business miss. You cannot look at spreads alone to determine trade size, or somehow use spreads alone to determine who you trade with. In the Forex, for the most part, you control the Leverage and your Cost Basis in the trade.

High leverage, big spreads, big cost basis (equity used to make the trade) and big profit targets with tight stops, are all things that can eat you alive. Yet, this is how many people trade. Because of the leverage, in this business, your money management skills are just as important (if not more important) than your actual trade signal development skills. You can have a system that works 100% of the time to a target of 50 pips, but if each signal produces a draw of 30 pips a high percentage of the time AND you set the typical (clueless) 20 pip stop, then your 100% trading system can easily be drawn down to a paltry 30% winner.

Money Management is the 8,000lb Gorilla that many newbies ignore and never truly study in this business. Money Management, in the Forex, is King Kong. Nobody in their right mind ignores King Kong walking down the streets of New York City. Yet, Forex Newbies do it all day long.

1 pip is the smallest unit of FX measure and extends four decimal places to the right. In here, we deal in tiny, fractional units of whole dollars. Yet, it is your Leverage and Cost Basis (equity used to make the trade) that determines the power of the pip against your account balance, good or bad. 1 pip could have a Per Pip Value (PPV in my Revenue Model) of $1.00 equity net gain or net loss to your account. Or, in the case of my last trade profile, your PPV could be $7,506.00 equity net gain or loss. Thus, a simple 3 (three) pip move translates to $22,518.00 net gain or loss to the account. A 50 pip move could mean $375,300.00 net gain or loss, but ALL of this ALSO depends on the Leverage used during the trade.

There is no fixed formula for which broker to use based on spreads and starting account balance other than those that will allow you to open an account with $400.00. My advice is the same - stay away from shops that fix spreads and manipulate their data feed to your fat client (your installed trading platform). If you are new to the Forex, doing some homework and locating the handful of Intermediaries out there that offer as close to a true STP as possible, is time well spent.

A fixed spread by definition means that data feed is not real Interbank. Real Interbank FX prices are always evolving, 24hrs a day, 7 days per week. There is no such thing as a fixed price in FX. There is no such thing as an Open, High or Low price in FX. The only thing that is real in FX are the continually changing Bid/Ask/Last. Brokers and Intermediaries have to establish order. So, they create out of thin air the concept of a Bar of Data (1 Daily Bar, 15 Minute Bar, 30 Minute Bar, 1 Week Bar, etc.). These bars do not exist in the Interbank system, only on the Intermediary server that deals-up pricing to you through a data feed, the Trader. If you use an Intermediary that fixes the spread, then the prices you see in your trading platform are by definition fictitious analogies of what true Interbank pricing looks like with every tic.

Intermediaries don't need massive swings in Interbank prices to make a business model work for them, because they are relying on volume and the spreads that THEY create on THEIR servers, as real Interbank prices move up and down. They can slightly trail the real Interbank market with spreads, or they can slightly lead the Interbank market with spreads that produces profitable opportunities for them, while your spreads look fairly fixed. This is why no two Intermediaries have the exact same fixed spreads. Spreads are primarily created for Retail Traders they allow for the creation of a viable business model for Intermediaries who profit from the spread differentials upon each trade you make.

In the real Interbank market, spreads are either extremely tight or non-existent and the true Interbank players push their Bid and Ask out to the Vendors (Intermediaries) who then "mark-up" (create a spread) prices before passing them on to your via their data feed directly into your trading platform. Other FX Intermediaries will lessen the "mark-up" and charge you a commission per trade in lieu a wider range of spreads. If you are a Retail Trader, it is very hard to avoid this. This is simply the cost of doing business in FX as a Retail Trader.

So, don't worry about spreads. Be more concerned with Timing, Direction, Magnitude and the Probability that your trade will strike a target that is far enough in excess of any spread that you will ever encounter in the Retail market. You can still scalp here, but you need to find an Intermediary that offers something at least resembling an ECN and Straight Through Processing or your orders. Typically, those guys are charging a commission per trade or sometimes per side, so pay attention when you do your homework.

Don't waste valuable braincells on spreads. Spend time finding a good Intermediary who will simply pass your order to Interbank or at least to a viable and strong liquidity pool with depth and breadth of liquidity. This takes homework.

Hope that helps.

BTW - Bid/Ask manipulation goes on in just about every market that I can recall. There is no secrete in this fact. At least in the Forex, we get a huge head-start on the news that affects us, each day and each week and all of it boils down to where a Central Bank will move its rates. So, Fundamental and Technical Traders alike, should be having a filed day in this world.

People mess up here, mostly because they don't manage their money properly. One needs to become a Money Manager to trade the FX well, long-term. Being just a good Trader here, is really not enough. Leverage can be your best friend or your worst enemy, here. This is what the CFTC fails to understand and this is why they think that knee jerk over-reaction will solve a problem born of a lack of Trader education on proper money management style and technique. Clueless Bureaucrats - of course, I digress.

(y) Thank you for very thorough answer! Appreciate it.

I have interest in using a particular cross currency in my other strategy. I am not going to trade pure spot FX. This one has no volume on CME, so I probably will go for a cash market.

I found a broker who gives real spreads plus fee. The fee is 3.90 per 100K traded. 1 pip per 100K is $10. So if say FXCM or other monster of Forex charge 2 pip above DMA spread it cost me $10 to open 100K position and $10 to exit = $20.

Those people with DMA access will charge me 2 x 3.90 = $7.80.. this is no brainer really. I am not sure why anyone would pay 20 instead of 7.80.

The money management is important in any kind of trading. My rough estimation is that any Forex transaction has lot more risk than even future transaction. I dont want to embarass myself trying to calculate exposure not knowing the FX business in details but from what I've seen there is similar level of volatility on FX markets but costs trebled at least.

However the "huge head-start on the news" is really intriguing point... Could you please explain for a dumb person in better details - are you saying that FX traders in general have some advantages trading the news? And what are these news exactly? :idea:

I think what you are missing is what many people in this business miss. You cannot look at spreads alone to determine trade size, or somehow use spreads alone to determine who you trade with. In the Forex, for the most part, you control the Leverage and your Cost Basis in the trade.

High leverage, big spreads, big cost basis (equity used to make the trade) and big profit targets with tight stops, are all things that can eat you alive. Yet, this is how many people trade. Because of the leverage, in this business, your money management skills are just as important (if not more important) than your actual trade signal development skills. You can have a system that works 100% of the time to a target of 50 pips, but if each signal produces a draw of 30 pips a high percentage of the time AND you set the typical (clueless) 20 pip stop, then your 100% trading system can easily be drawn down to a paltry 30% winner.

Money Management is the 8,000lb Gorilla that many newbies ignore and never truly study in this business. Money Management, in the Forex, is King Kong. Nobody in their right mind ignores King Kong walking down the streets of New York City. Yet, Forex Newbies do it all day long.

1 pip is the smallest unit of FX measure and extends four decimal places to the right. In here, we deal in tiny, fractional units of whole dollars. Yet, it is your Leverage and Cost Basis (equity used to make the trade) that determines the power of the pip against your account balance, good or bad. 1 pip could have a Per Pip Value (PPV in my Revenue Model) of $1.00 equity net gain or net loss to your account. Or, in the case of my last trade profile, your PPV could be $7,506.00 equity net gain or loss. Thus, a simple 3 (three) pip move translates to $22,518.00 net gain or loss to the account. A 50 pip move could mean $375,300.00 net gain or loss, but ALL of this ALSO depends on the Leverage used during the trade.

There is no fixed formula for which broker to use based on spreads and starting account balance other than those that will allow you to open an account with $400.00. My advice is the same - stay away from shops that fix spreads and manipulate their data feed to your fat client (your installed trading platform). If you are new to the Forex, doing some homework and locating the handful of Intermediaries out there that offer as close to a true STP as possible, is time well spent.

A fixed spread by definition means that data feed is not real Interbank. Real Interbank FX prices are always evolving, 24hrs a day, 7 days per week. There is no such thing as a fixed price in FX. There is no such thing as an Open, High or Low price in FX. The only thing that is real in FX are the continually changing Bid/Ask/Last. Brokers and Intermediaries have to establish order. So, they create out of thin air the concept of a Bar of Data (1 Daily Bar, 15 Minute Bar, 30 Minute Bar, 1 Week Bar, etc.). These bars do not exist in the Interbank system, only on the Intermediary server that deals-up pricing to you through a data feed, the Trader. If you use an Intermediary that fixes the spread, then the prices you see in your trading platform are by definition fictitious analogies of what true Interbank pricing looks like with every tic.

Intermediaries don't need massive swings in Interbank prices to make a business model work for them, because they are relying on volume and the spreads that THEY create on THEIR servers, as real Interbank prices move up and down. They can slightly trail the real Interbank market with spreads, or they can slightly lead the Interbank market with spreads that produces profitable opportunities for them, while your spreads look fairly fixed. This is why no two Intermediaries have the exact same fixed spreads. Spreads are primarily created for Retail Traders they allow for the creation of a viable business model for Intermediaries who profit from the spread differentials upon each trade you make.

In the real Interbank market, spreads are either extremely tight or non-existent and the true Interbank players push their Bid and Ask out to the Vendors (Intermediaries) who then "mark-up" (create a spread) prices before passing them on to your via their data feed directly into your trading platform. Other FX Intermediaries will lessen the "mark-up" and charge you a commission per trade in lieu a wider range of spreads. If you are a Retail Trader, it is very hard to avoid this. This is simply the cost of doing business in FX as a Retail Trader.

So, don't worry about spreads. Be more concerned with Timing, Direction, Magnitude and the Probability that your trade will strike a target that is far enough in excess of any spread that you will ever encounter in the Retail market. You can still scalp here, but you need to find an Intermediary that offers something at least resembling an ECN and Straight Through Processing or your orders. Typically, those guys are charging a commission per trade or sometimes per side, so pay attention when you do your homework.

Don't waste valuable braincells on spreads. Spend time finding a good Intermediary who will simply pass your order to Interbank or at least to a viable and strong liquidity pool with depth and breadth of liquidity. This takes homework.

Hope that helps.

Excellent post really puts things into perspective

@TraderNumber7

Are you saying that the platforms that are offered for free by brokerages have software in them that can manipulate the situation to the broker/spreadbetters advantage?
Even with the best money management you cannot win against this.

I have always suspected this anyway as I saw some crazy spikes going the other way at times when you could see that a trader could be making a killing until the spike kills him. Of course the spike didn't exist in the real market when I checked the following day from other sources.

Does that mean that having your own feed and an off-the-shelf platform guards you from these bucket shops?

anyone?

Cheers

In terms of that precise example, I would say that what you did wrong was calculate the implied spread in audnzd incorrectly.

You don't simply add two spreads together to make the spread in a cross pair. In the case of aud/nzd, the spot rate is the aud/usd spot rate divided by the nzd/usd spot rate (doesn't always work quite the same due to oddities of market quote convention but that's how it is for aud/nzd, have to trust me on this).

SO, taking the widest of your spreads that you talked about (i.e. 2 points in audusd and the same for the kiwi) you also need to remember to use the right side of the bid/ask spread each time

So in this case the audnzd bid is audusd bid / nzdusd offer
audnzd offer is audusd offer / nzdusd bid.

Again it doesn't work the same each pair. But anyway, taking rough current spot rates of 0.9030/32 and 0.6970/72 by my reckoning gives an audnzd two way price of 1.29518/1.29583, i.e. a 6.5 point spread.

And of course that's even assuming those are good starting points spread wise. 2 in aussie looks ok, but it's generous in kiwi

Anyway, hopefully you get the picture - 3 points in the cross is artificially low.

At some point I am meant to be writing a knowledge lab piece tying together lots of little bits and pieces like this. If I get the time.

Let me know if that helps.

GJ

Thank you. Yes this is helpful.. I am doing a bit of homework myself and now more educated than I was a week ago in FX :)

But I found guys who does 4.8 on Aud/Nzd most of the day. STP and not very high commissions.. I compared them to Ducascopy and Ikon GM and they are consistently cheaper around 1 pip...

I think the quality and attitude of a broker is more important in FX than if futures. So I am pretty much settled..

But please publish the link once you've done with the article.

Cheers

Below are emails responses from alpari. I was trying to find out if the two small accounts they offer are countered on their own books ie if they are the market maker for my trades.

My emails are in black and theirs in blue.

===============================================================
To: Alpari (UK) Customer Services
Subject: General questions.

Hi,

Your Micro and Classic accounts show no commission. Does this mean you will counter trade me in-house or are my orders sent to the real market?

I'm looking for full ECN, it is the only way to guarantee a fair playing field.

Thanks
===========================================================

Subject: RE: General questions.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

For our Micro and Classic accounts, the costs of trading is incorporated into the spread. Micro and Classic accounts are not strictly ECN.

We offer full ECN for our Pro accounts. We charge commission for trades on Pro accounts.
For more information on our Pro accounts, please refer to the following link: http://pro.alpari.co.uk/
I hope this helps, but please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further information.

Kind regards

=========================================================
As you can see I did not get a definitive answer to my question. So I had to ask again.

==========================================================
To: Alpari (UK) Customer Services

Hi,
Thank you for the swift response.
My questions remains. Are you the Market Maker for the smaller accounts?

Regards

=================================================================

==================================================================

Dear Mr ,
Thank you for your email.

For Micro and Classic accounts, we do not send each individual order to our Banks.
Banks prefer to deal with commercial counterparties (such as ourselves) in marketable amounts, usually 5-10m at a time.

What we do at this stage is then package that risk and only offset with our trading partners when we have accumulated sufficient volume to do so.

Sometimes this would be done instantly, when large customers are trading 50 lots or more, and sometimes it takes longer as we have many customers trading Microlots.

Due to the large size of our client base we often find that natural buyers are met by natural sellers, and we can therefore frequently match these trades off with no risk.

Kind regards

========================================================
This was a fuller answer but I can't tell if they are the market maker, the last sentence suggests that they do something else if my trade is a risk to them. I'm guessing they counter trade me in-house. Am I correct?
Are there any ECNs that take small accounts

you are asking improper question and getting a very polite answer. what else do you want?

they say - if you want ECN open Pro account. what part of this is not clear?

How the hell a broker can provide direct access for 10K if the lot is 100k... how do you think they could possibly do that? If you bite hard a pound coin in half will each half be 50p?

you are asking improper question and getting a very polite answer. what else do you want?

they say - if you want ECN open Pro account. what part of this is not clear?

How the hell a broker can provide direct access for 10K if the lot is 100k... how do you think they could possibly do that? If you bite hard a pound coin in half will each half be 50p?

I'd like to say first that my response below is conjecture since I was not given a clear enough answer bu Alpari.

I wanted a clear answer as to whether they are the market maker for those small accounts. The tone of their response is very similar to spreadbetting firms. That is disconcerting to me for a firm that use with ECN.
If that is the case then they are unscrupulous. How then can you trust them with the with the big accounts when they are messing around with the smaller customers, if indeed that is what they are doing?

I was hoping to get an answer telling me that they are not market makers and do not trade against their clients. They had the opportunity to do that and didn't which infers that they do.

you now I am not FX expert. But from what I know - this is not possible not to trade against orders smaller than 100K (lets experts correct me if it aint right).

There is no sense to ask them or any one else. Nobody can place your orders straight to the market.

Not true - you can execute in small size on some (but not all) ecns. Presonally I find it a total pain in the @rse when I'm working a bid or an offer for say 3 mio usd/jpy and some retail account pays me for pocket change, leaving me with a balance of like 2,999,850 to do or whatever. It happens from time to time and on a busy day it's an absolute nightmare. Once that happens my order is no longer an exact 'market amount' in interbank terms, so it limits where I could send it if I want to move it from one venue to another. So you just end up sticking an order for 3 million in again. total waste of time, and your book gets full up with sh*tty little balances. It's like being a guy in a warehouse and being told you have to break open a pallet containing a thousand boxes of soap powder just to sell one box for a few quid. You'd really rather not.

So personally I would rather this sort of thing didn't happen all things being equal. I'm sure this will not make me any more popular here but I'll try and cope with that ;)

GJ

total pain in the @rse
that what I thought.. I didnt know anyone does it...

The other thing made me curious... I read some clever book filled with some stat analysis and all.. I didnt understand a thing of course.. But I did understand is that it is totally possible to create an automated system which calculates spread in a way the MM is almost always profitable whatever people are trying to do... So why dont you hire some PhD from Russia for $100 a month :) and build the system.. And just sit around and poke it with a long stick

(the question is not related to small lots. just generally curious why would you do it by hand?)