Daytrading partner

jaapstok

Hi,

In short: I am looking for someone to chat with during the day, to exchange ideas, experiences.

A bit about myself: I have been interested in trading for about 1,5 year. In the meanwhile I've read a lot of books, researched a lot. Did a bit of daytrading while I was working which wasn't ideal at all.

I then took the decision to go for it fulltime as I wanted to fully emerge in the experience and really go for it as it is a career I want to pursue. At the beginning of this year I did a course with the prospect of becoming an inhouse trader.

I traded on a simulator and I developed a strategy which showed quite good backtest results, although when I forward tested it I didn't get the results I expected. This was due to missing a couple of very good entries or not being in the office and missing entries that way. As a result it was still profitable but I wasn't satisfied with the results. I then tried trading spreads but I didn't like them for daytrading and preferred trading the outrights (trading all futures).

I'm currently trading the EUR/USD and the Bund futures at home with a strategy that I have been developing while trading, tweaking a bit here and there.

I have to say it takes me very long to find a strategy I'm satisfied with to then forward trade. I'm confident I will find my way and eventually be trading live. I would say that I like quite mechanical systems and aim for systems which have least subjectivity possible. A bit of discretionary I think is always needed but I like to limit that.

so as mentioned above if anyone would be interested in having a chat while trading, exchanging ideas please let me know!

If you are based in London, then you should check out the Traders Network drinks next week (Wednesday evening, 6:30pm) - it's normally on once every two months. There are normally a good number of full-time traders who come to the event, and it might be a good chance to find one or more of the type of people that you are looking for. Personally, I have made several good connections there (including the three traders with whom I am currently sharing an office!).

There is a T2W thread about this too:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/meetups/83636-london-traders-network-drinks-central-london-6.html

I won't be there next week, but normally try to go.

Good luck.

Another option for you...

You could also try out an online trading community - Philip Konchar in Ireland has set one up - though there is a monthly fee - but it is good for exchanging ideas and there is a free trial for it too. Just google TraderCast to find it.

. . . You could also try out an online trading community . . .
Err, I've heard about these. Let me think, I'm sure there's one around here somewhere. Oh yes, I remember now, it's called Trade2Win, lol!
:p

jaapstok - I think you need to be clear in your own mind what it is that you want. If you literally just want like minded people to discuss trading with, then you're in as good a place as any until you find something along the lines of options-george's suggestion. However, the thread title implies you're looking for a coach, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. If it's the latter you really want, before whipping out your credit card, I suggest you read these two FAQs:
Can You Recommend a Mentor, Coach or Trading Course?
How Can I Distinguish Between Scams and Reputable Vendors?
Tim.

Hi Timsk,

I know the title is a bit deceiving. I wanted to remove the coach bit but I forgot to remove it and couldn't edit it anymore
I do read on forums, but it is nice to be interacting with someone during the day. and share ideas / experiences. I'm also not looking to pay anyone. So I wouldn't join a community with a monthly fee.

. . . I'm also not looking to pay anyone. So I wouldn't join a community with a monthly fee.
Hi jaapstok,
I realise that you and options-george are thinking more in terms of a chat room which is, of course, different to T2W. That said, T2W is completely free and there are threads that are very active throughout the day in which traders share their immediate short term views and trading ideas. Here's an example of what I mean: Trading with p/f. Blink, and you'll have missed ten pages!

So, if there isn't a thread already running that focuses on the market(s) and trading style(s) that interest you - how about starting one of your own?
Tim.