Dash Riprock Esq. - serious stuff

Re: Get Long My Schlong, by Dash Riprock Esq. - serialisation

and then after the craziness it goes back to rotating around a price, though after a move like that I would go home :)

Attachments

• zb.PNG
    zb.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 235
  • zn.PNG
    zn.PNG
    63.3 KB · Views: 214

Here is a Brent matrix - please let me know what you have learnt from it.

Attachments

• matrix.jpg
    matrix.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 266

I didn't see a calendar spread matrix it was between STIRs. I don't even know anything about it I was just saying cos Dash was talig about watching spreads. Cheebus Teh Annointed!

its pretty confusing to me why you would try trading STIRs? don't you have some accounting qualifications? why don't you use them? trading STIRs seems pretty hard going especially if you aren't a person who is naturally suited to them. personally, I would love to be able to trade STIRs and it seems like good fun but I know what I am good at and what I am not good at...i may do fine scalping around on betfair but I would get destroyed trying any of this...what you think? for me, there are a lot easier ways to make money and it sounds like that would be the same for you too.

...............In the nicest possible sense there is actually not alot of things here on trade to win that are related to how trading is done by professionals.............

Dash

From what you say and have said on other threads it seems to me that most professionals trade in a way that has little regard to charts or fancy lines drawn on them insofar as intraday trading is concerned. For us lesser mortals at the retail end who don't or can't (p'raps that should be can't or don't :)) trade in that particular professional way I'd be interested to know if you think the charts enable us to anticipate where you might be inclined to trade and to follow your footsteps if you do.

jon

it shows all the spreads and is for learning purposes you tard

Yeah, don't listen to those guys telling you a spread matrix is only useful in markets with volume beyond the front month, here's one for the bund:

Useful, eh?

I never said it was useful I said Dash could use one to watch the spread he was talking about. I know nothing about these matrices.

well the way I trade is to trade the legs outright (infact very rarely will I trade the Notes Over Bond (NOB) spread at all), but I think it's important to look at - for other asset classes too i think, like stocks for example.

I mean basically IMO it only makes sense to have a directional bias on one contract if that bias is from a parallell shift across the whole range of contracts (I mean there all going the same way by roughly the same amount). I dont want to be in a situation where I've got a directional bias on one contract only because the curve has steepened/flattened, or say be going long on mid-caps when large-caps aren't going anywhere.

So, when I'm looking at whats going on and thinking about how to trade it, i want to see that the other contracts are doing similar things (like they all require the same trading strategy, what I was talking about today - I don't want to be scalping one when the other is off to the races or punting on one when the other is flat as a pancake). In the same light, when I am taking a directional bias, I dont want to be getting in when the spread has gone too far, because this means either the move is specific to my portion of the curve only (or say is specific only to mid-caps), or that there will be orders coming through to fade it through the spread, or both. In either case I'm not interested.

Good thread DR. Excellent actually.

But…

Most of the punters here just want to know who’s going to win the 3:30 at Kempton.

What you’re outlining is a method to determine the difference between who’s flagging and who’s being held back.

Anything more than a coin toss and you’re going to lose them.

I’ll have a quid E/W on Dec Pork Bellies.

just a few more posts to give more examples of earlier stuff;

the thing here is that both contracts are doing exactly the same thing; rotating around a high volume area just below the days highs. This is what I like to see if I'm thinking about trading either side of the market

What's noteworthy here as well is that though the 10yr looks like its in middle of nowhere, the 30yr is testing y'days low - a cap/level on one contract under pressure is holding the other down too (10yr had big gap down).

(just because one is at y'days low doesn't mean other should be too)

Attachments

• p1.PNG
    p1.PNG
    38.4 KB · Views: 231

One point, Dash.. Pls stop calling the long bond contract "30yr". It's confusing now that there's an actual 30y.

this next one shows something to keep an eye out if you are trading/looking at a range.
Both contracts sold off by a few ticks very quickly - and importantly - pretty much simultaneously. When this happens be on your guard for a product wide sell off because something, somewhere, has changed (i think this was one of the fed speakers, but it isnt imperative to know what exactly). You don't want to caught on the bid here because there is someone out there who knows more than you, and they're selling. To you.

Attachments

• p2.PNG
    p2.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 205

One point, Dash.. Pls stop calling the long bond contract "30yr". It's confusing now that there's an actual 30y.

ok sorry. I'll call them bond (30) and note (10) and anything longer than that is my schlong ultra or über whatever its called.

(I am exclusively talking about ZN and ZB futures on globex)

So yesterday was a good example of going from a ranging market immediately to a trending market - the risk being that you get steamrollered before you know it.

Well here is an example of how a "trending" market can chop you up. The risk of trading the breakout (and going to the 1st strategy, long only) is that it was either a brief run on stops or some fast money doing something without any sizeable backing (I think this was a fed speaker again). This is why it's important to look at the tape - a simple buy order above the range here is going to get filled on a false breakout, but by looking at the tape you can get a better handle of what's going on. 1 lot wonders don't move markets.

There is of course nothing to stop you buying all the way down on the pullback - nobody said it would be easy.

Attachments

• p3.PNG
    p3.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 214

whats that volume study called, muggins? Is it volume at price? I've used it somewhere else but cant find it on this one I'm on now.

ok sorry. I'll call them bond (30) and note (10) and anything longer than that is my schlong ultra or über whatever its called.

(I am exclusively talking about ZN and ZB futures on globex)
Yeah, ultra is the new 30y... It's fine, I can see which contract you're referring to by the handle. It's just that 30y is a bit confusing.

the flipside is that you don't want to be sitting on your hands while there is a directional bias across the range of products just because the initial move was weak. If stocks are going up, be buying stocks FFS!

So what I do to help avoid getting in on pullbacks or missing out on moves is I use heikin-ashi candlesticks. If I think it's a trending market across the board I'll only trade when the heikin ashi are going the right way. It's not very fancy but it works for me. In the graphs here (after the breakout from the high volume area) I would only be going long while the candles are white, and doing nothing when they're blue.

now tbh I've just about said everything I think I can about this here. Obviously some people will agree / disagree with it or whatever, but my basic view is that

a) markets are either trending or ranging
b) they move to money, and money moves them

so whatever you can do to give you an idea if its trending (which way?) or ranging (around where?) gives you a massive advantage over flipping a coin or darts or dartboards or whatever. If you can combine that with reading the tape (how much and where?) you have a good foundation for trading.

Attachments

• p4a.PNG
    p4a.PNG
    32.9 KB · Views: 209
  • p4b.PNG
    p4b.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 202
  • p5a.PNG
    p5a.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 195
  • p5b.PNG
    p5b.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 187

whats that volume study called, muggins? Is it volume at price? I've used it somewhere else but cant find it on this one I'm on now.

It's just a volume histogram (so yeah volume at price) with a 10 period ema. Also I don't use time charts intraday (these are both tick charts), and ignore the highs/lows of candles/bars because nobody gives a sh!t about a 5m dojo/hammer/flying dragon/bachman-turner-overdrive
(y)

It's just a volume histogram (so yeah volume at price) with a 10 period ema. Also I don't use time charts intraday (these are both tick charts), and ignore the highs/lows of candles/bars because nobody gives a sh!t about a 5m dojo/hammer/flying dragon/bachman-turner-overdrive
(y)

Why do you use an EMA with volume?

Why do you use an EMA with volume?

it's just a crutch for directional bias

EDIT: The EMA is of the mid price of the tick bar, not the EMA of the 10 period Volume at price

Last edited:

First ever ZN trade - im winning :)

Attachments

• zn.JPG
    zn.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 203