CWM FX - I Told You So !

Interesting articles.

So it was Leverate who wrote to clients and asked them to withdraw funds from their trading accounts, which makes sense.
If the police activity was nothing to do with CWM then why would they terminate the agreement one wonders?

However, we on this board have never questioned Leverate or their ability to operate as a platform and liquidity provider.
We have questioned the "private investment" offered by CWM and it would seem that none of those investors have been given the opportunity to withdraw all their funds. These then were not held by Leverate.

I believe I'm correct in saying though, if you give your Permissions to operate via a Tied Agent agreement you are responsible for the actions of that Tied Agent. It will be interesting how people get on if they hold Leverate to account.

Hi,

Maybe Indignation has a point?

Lets see what Leverate or CWM FX have to say. Most professional companies publish PR releases so maybe some kind of statement will be coming?

Best to keep things factual.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board Indignation, nice of you to join us, your first posts here are interesting.

People with no interest in the subject being discussed here rarely (if ever) post, this site has many members yet it’s just a few of us here. So why did you post, it doesn’t sound like you have money invested, you don’t sound worried? Your comments are very well phrased, not so as to outright stand up for the Company but to sow doubt. Very clever.

I suspect you are either part of CWM or you are an agent/introducer….I guess time will tell.

Let me address one or two things you have said:

"Earlier this month, the financial services firm made a reference to a police raid that had taken place in Heron Tower, in which 13 people were arrested by the City of London fraud squad."
Note this bit... " the financial services firm made a reference to a police raid"
So CWM broke the news, not City AM!!!

Not so.
City AM posted the story and a few hours later that morning a Tweet appeared from CWM, which has since been retracted. The article you quote from was written after the event, once the raid was public knowledge and CWM had posted (and retracted) the comment.

Quote: "I have been shown a private account of someone that indeed did get £5000 per month, over the 3 statements that I saw, into a UK bank account from the Cayman's."
So who was the originating transferor? CWM FX, CWM, A N OTHER, ... What bank in the Caymans did the transfer originate from?

I’m sure the poster will ask his friend, and if he is able to reply he will.

Quote. "Now, if they have lost the Leverate licensing and are unlicensed"
They never had Leverate Licensing... The Markets in Financial Instruments Directive "MiFID" does not allow a regulated company to passport it's licence to an unregulated company.

Not true.
A Regulated firm can itself Authorise a Tied Agent or Appointed Representative to carry out activities covered by MiFID. Leverate, according to CWM, provided such services enabling them to not only offer a trading platform in the UK but to Transmit Orders and to Promote a Regulated Activity.
An AR or Tied Agent is in itself not Regulated, it takes it Regulation from its Principle firm.

Quote: "I know a person with a fair amount in CWM's guaranteed returns account."
By Guaranteed Returns Account do you mean their Managed Account?
Have you seen a contract? Who are the parties to the contract? CWM FX, CWM, A N OTHER?

I’m not sure what you would call it, it’s the same difference really as it’s the whole concept of the investment, not the name given to the account the money sits in. Interesting how you picked up that very subtle difference in name though, you are aware of these accounts then?
To provide a Managed Account in the UK you must be Authorised to offer something called “Managing Investments”. Leverate do not hold this Permission (not in the UK or Cyprus), thus if indeed they were offering Managed Accounts this would be a rule breach.
As to the name on the account, nobody has ever mentioned what name they would be in. However, if you had just attended a presentation at CWM, in Herron Tower, and they offered you “their investment” it would be strange if contracts were drawn up in another company’s name?
Perhaps you know differently?

Quote. "I understand there is now a large firm of solicitors about to commence legal action against introducers who have been promoting this to retail clients."
You understand from what or whom? No one else has commented and again there is no media coverage?
Quote: "rumour has it that CWM FX have another 14 days where they have a deadline to pay back all the money raised for their proposed 'fabricated' investment of guaranteed returns"
Rumored by whom?
CWM FX? Your evidence is
"Fabricated Investment" your evidence is?

The poster did say it was a rumour, none of us have any factual evidence of the legal action or the 14 day deadline as none has been posted.

uhmm... So are you claiming CWM FX are the "other" party to the investment Contract? I have not as yet seen a contract where CWM FX are named as a party to the contract.

So are you saying you have seen contracts and CWM are not named?
Why would they not be named, my point above……………………” if you had just attended a presentation at CWM, in Herron Tower, and they offered you “their investment” it would be strange if contracts were drawn up in another companies name?”

Quote: "I was told it was 100% safe because of the Billionaire CEO was underwriting each and every customer on the managed account and backing their investment with his own money."
You heard that from whom?

I have been told, by more than one person who attended presentations given by CWM, that a “Greek billionaire” would cover all losses. The other poster may have been miss-informed with his information; the lines may have become slightly blurred.

Quote: "You will notice that approx 3/4 of the way down Guensey is mentioned (remember the 3% per monthly "regulated"), read into it what you will"
The regulated option was being regulated out of the Caymans, not Guernsey. The post the above quote came from is nothing but speculation.

I would agree, I think the poster has gone on a dead end here. However, could you clarify what you mean by “the regulated option was coming out of the Caymans”? What do you know about this?

So for reference...
has anyone seen a fully executed Contract between the Investor and CWM FX?

No they have not, but I’ll just go back to my point regarding “our investment”. However, it’s interesting you labour this point. Perhaps you might tell us why, was someone offering another company investment or were they smart enough to have it in another name? You know the answer I’m sure………………

has anyone seen a fully executed Contract between the Investor and "the "other" party if it is not CWM FX? If yes, who is/are the other party(s)

See above……………….

has anyone seen who the paying/transferring party and bank is? Is it CWM FX or another party? If yes, who is/are the other party(s)

See above……………..

And what is happening in the media/press? With such a high profile Company and CEO who have sponsorship deals with some of the biggest names in sport, surely an investigative journalist / newspaper would be al over this.

What makes you think that’s not been done already? Given the Mail on Sunday has already been all over a Binary Options firm from Cyprus, and some of the CWM staff came from that background (including its MD), don’t you think it would make for an interesting story? They do……………….

Forex Magnates has learned that Leverate notified clients of CWM FX that the broker was switching liquidity providers and that they needed to withdraw funds and would be able to redeposit when a new platform launches.
>>> notified clients of CWM FX that the broker was switching liquidity providers <<< so CWM FX are switching liquidity providers and not as a result of Leverate pulling the plug!

You can twist the words however you like, I’ll tell you how it works. Nobody, and I mean nobody, in the FX broking business moves its liquidity provider (and the firm providing its regulatory cover) without having another Firm in place and ready to go instantly. It happens overnight, seamlessly moving of accounts.
You don’t send all the money back to clients, wait a few days or a week, then ask them to wire it back again to a new firm.
You don’t almost shut off your website
You do have all your agreements in place in advance.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, or probably anybody else’s that Leverate pulled the plug, and you can dress up from a PR perspective what you will but they pulled the plug, period.

We know what a great web presence CWM have made of themselves, they are all over Facebook, Twitter feeds, all the staff on Linkedin (even the PA!!), SEO everything…….I’ve been waiting for the reputation management to start, and this I would suggest is the beginning.

Hold on chaps, it’s about to get rough……

an articulate and robust response tracker (y)

they do appear to be now on the hook and wriggling at present.

though I believe any efforts will do them no good at all, as it looks like they could be about to be thrown under a bus. cwm fx as a brand has been all but cleansed from cwm world. no more Chelsea fc banners, wigan warriors now the only mention, oh and an fx education site link that isn't. :cry:

Thanks Traker535...

I would suggest we have similar thinking on certain points and disagree on others. Such is the nature of reasoned debate. My post was not to sow seeds of doubt or promote positive a "spin" of CWM. As I mentioned earlier, there is no smoke without fire and I am sure something will break. However, I do believe that given some of the factual postings the synopsis has been skewed in favour of "preffered" thinking, that is that CWM FX are guilty of something very serious. My posts were to provide an alternative thought process based on the same information, take it as you will.

Just for the record... By profession I was involved in the offshore financial services sector for many years. (Now retired)

I am not CWM, either in an official or un-official capacity. I am not an Introducer to CWM. Other than being a client of their managed fund, I have no vested interest in CWM. I have personally met with the CEO, the legal principal, the sales director and the *introducer of the product which contacted me. *This happens to be an individual I have known and done business with for many years.

I have first hand knowledge of the people, process, contractual documentation and the bank / transfer entities, which is a little more than can be said for most of the posters in this thread.

As a result of connections in the offshore environment, I also had sight of the initial prospectus, terms, management / fund managers / auditors for the "regulated" product which was to be launched. (currently now on hold). It was regulated out of the Caymans (CIMA) as a open ended protected cell of the Brighton SPC. (That is the connection between CWM and Belvedere).

There are also many SEPERATE (but related) issues here, which look to be rolled into one. Whilst they are related, they cannot be rolled into one and treated as one. They are different and should be treated differently.
To name a few...
CWM FX - Leverate (the forex platform and liquidity provider)
CWM - Managed Account
CWM - Regulated Product.
CWM - Belvedere etc.

Anyway... take my musings and words as you will, it matters not to me whether we agree or disagree. But honest open factual debate needs to be just that; honest, open and factual.

Thanks

Good morning to you and thank you for clarifying that you are indeed an investor in the “private investment” that has been touted by CWM and discussed here on this board.

So whilst not quite being a disinterested party you are in fact a very interested party, as you have funds tied up in their offering, albeit an offering not of their making as they would appear now to be just the promoters, you say.

Perhaps you might indulge us. It has been said (and I personally have people who have been presented to) that the offering works like this:
You send £100k offshore and £10k of it is traded using 3:1 leverage. This £10k manages to return to you £5k per month in profits, every month, and your £90k is never touched.
If by some reason the trading looses money then an un-named Greek billionaire will cover those losses. In effect it’s a managed FX trading programme that returns the investor 600%PA on risk capital with a never loose guarantee.

Without getting into the who-hars of what the paperwork says, who the promoter is and where the fund (or account) is based can you confirm that the above is your understanding and experience of the opportunity?

Thanks Traker535...

I would suggest we have similar thinking on certain points and disagree on others. Such is the nature of reasoned debate. My post was not to sow seeds of doubt or promote positive a "spin" of CWM. As I mentioned earlier, there is no smoke without fire and I am sure something will break. However, I do believe that given some of the factual postings the synopsis has been skewed in favour of "preffered" thinking, that is that CWM FX are guilty of something very serious. My posts were to provide an alternative thought process based on the same information, take it as you will.

Just for the record... By profession I was involved in the offshore financial services sector for many years. (Now retired)

I am not CWM, either in an official or un-official capacity. I am not an Introducer to CWM. Other than being a client of their managed fund, I have no vested interest in CWM. I have personally met with the CEO, the legal principal, the sales director and the *introducer of the product which contacted me. *This happens to be an individual I have known and done business with for many years.

I have first hand knowledge of the people, process, contractual documentation and the bank / transfer entities, which is a little more than can be said for most of the posters in this thread.

As a result of connections in the offshore environment, I also had sight of the initial prospectus, terms, management / fund managers / auditors for the "regulated" product which was to be launched. (currently now on hold). It was regulated out of the Caymans (CIMA) as a open ended protected cell of the Brighton SPC. (That is the connection between CWM and Belvedere).

There are also many SEPERATE (but related) issues here, which look to be rolled into one. Whilst they are related, they cannot be rolled into one and treated as one. They are different and should be treated differently.
To name a few...
CWM FX - Leverate (the forex platform and liquidity provider)
CWM - Managed Account
CWM - Regulated Product.
CWM - Belvedere etc.

Anyway... take my musings and words as you will, it matters not to me whether we agree or disagree. But honest open factual debate needs to be just that; honest, open and factual.

Thanks

Hi Tracker535.

In response to your last post:

1. Quote: "albeit an offering not of their making as they would appear now to be just the promoters, you say."

>> I don't believe I actually said that! << however, I can confirm that neither the product offering nor the contract was issued from/by CWM FX.

2. Quote: "You send £100k offshore and £10k of it is traded using 3:1 leverage. This £10k manages to return to you £5k per month in profits, every month, and your £90k is never touched."

>> I cannot comment on the above specifically and if this is what you have been told then it may be factually correct based on executed Contract(s) which contain those terms. However, I believe from previous posts that no one can substantiate Contract terms so in effect this is nothing more than hearsay.

For clarity and avoidance of doubt, that is not how I understand the programme to be and that is not the programme I am directly involved with.

As a couple of pointers:

Leverage is not 3X but 10X
All Invested funds are traded but with maximum drawdown/stop loss limited to 10% which is then contractually "covered" by the other party to the Contract.
Investment funds were initially transferred into a European Bank.
Commerzbank were the Trading Bank. <<<

Hope that helps.

Also, as an aside and albeit unsubstantiated, I was led to believe that the programme itself had generated average monthly returns in excess of 15%. If that is the case, again unsubstantiated, then, and forgetting the morality and legality of the issues for the moment, and in the "broadest sense" offering clients a return of 5% per month and paying introducer fees of circa 3% per month, with the full invested funds of the client being traded would look to stack up.

Thank you for the replies, enlightening.

So, you can confirm that in your case the offering was communicated to you by CWM, however the product is managed by another party and it is them you have invested with. Thanks for that, perfectly clear.

It is different though to how the offering has been communicated to others, maybe its changed over time, who knows. Anyway we now have a very good understanding of the mechanics of the investment you are in.

Essentially then you have an offshore programme which invests all of your money and leverage's this ten times with a draw-down limited to 10% of the account.

So for example if you invested £100k it would be leveraged to trade £1m. Given you have a draw-down limit of 10% (£10K) that would mean any losses on the £1m position in excess of 1% (£10k) and your account would be stopped.

I hope I’ve got that right, please correct me if I’m wrong?

And, just to be clear, if there are any losses on the account a contracted third party will cover them in full. Is that right as well?

Again, just so we are clear, we have an offshore trading programme that makes good returns (and here we must assume at least 5%, although you have indicated it could be as much as 15%) and if it looses any money a third party will cover it.

Amazing………truly amazing……………… and you invested in this with all your years of experience in financial services?
Perhaps some of the FX gurus on here may wish to offer comment on this “programme”?

As an aside:

I have a gentlemen I know very well who is interested in this programme, he has a rather large debt he wishes to clear and can invest quite a lot of money. He’s very happy with the concept and is delighted someone will cover (out of the goodness of their heart) all the losses, or has developed a system so good it never looses.
Feel free to contact him, I can’t place his number right now but he’s in the phone book …………………G Osborne, 11 Downing Street, London. Something about clearing the National Debt in time for the election he mentioned??

(OK, I couldn't resist it and a a little tongue in cheek……but you get the point)

Also, as an aside and albeit unsubstantiated, I was led to believe that the programme itself had generated average monthly returns in excess of 15%. If that is the case, again unsubstantiated, then, and forgetting the morality and legality of the issues for the moment, and in the "broadest sense" offering clients a return of 5% per month and paying introducer fees of circa 3% per month, with the full invested funds of the client being traded would look to stack up.

Hi Indignation,

Welcome to the forum. Of course we are trying to keep things factual.

I am surprised as an investor in the CWM FX program that you are reluctant to divulge precise details of the scheme. It is almost as if you are defending CWM on some kind of legal technicality or nuances of wording. The technicality being broadly 'it wasn't CWM FX. Honest, company X did it and look ...CWM FX is not even on the paperwork.'

You stated

'I can confirm that neither the product offering nor the contract was issued from/by CWM FX.'

Why not please tell us exactly who the contract, parties involved and so on were instead of just confirming? What is holding you back? Please post up some of the details (and perhaps other forum readers could corroborate?) Was it a company affiliated with the group ?

Keeping things factual:

What We Know:

Now irrespective of whether the contract was with CWM or with any other party. The facts (as we see them now) is that CWM FX does not now (and did not) have a license to offer, promote or arrange managed investments to the general public in the UK. They only had a license (provided by Leverate) as an FX platform . Even that recently ended.

An Example:

For simplicity, for forum readers a clear example. An unlicensed UK financial adviser (who is a licensed mortgage broker) provides advice to his clients. He suggests that they get into a 'guaranteed investment' with 'solid returns' provided by fund X.

To the FCA it matters not if the target fund X is managed by Mr Smith of ABC Asset Managers (Caymans) or Mrs Jones of Jones & Co Asset Managers (UK). Also it matters not whether it is offshore or onshore or on any shore. It makes no difference to the FCA. The hypothetical adviser was a licensed mortgage broker and didn't have a license to advise, promote or arrange an investment scheme to the general public . This is against the FSMA 2000 and he just couldn't do it. (Incidentally, even a regulated IFA would have to comply with KYC, suitability reports and so on and couldn't do it either even if he wanted to. This is due to the high risk nature of the investment. Also, any amount of due diligence would have raised initial red flags.)

Were CMW FX Promoting an Investment Against the Rules ?

So if CWM FX were promoting this program to the general public in writing or verbally (and there are plenty of witnesses to this and you also confirm this) without the appropriate license then they shouldn't have been doing so irrespective of what the investment actually was. On the other hand, maybe there is some kind of licensing they have that we are not aware of ? Maybe somebody on the forum could let us know if we have missed something?

Now I have no axe to grind with CWM...in fact I have only ever been suggesting that forum readers do extra due diligence and exercise caution. Nothing more. Based on the facts that we have that's really the only conclusion that anyone should have at this point.

Last edited:
I rest my case. You guys really don't get it do you. Even now you are looking for clues to support your ideology. You have built your case on hearsay information and when first hand information is provided you want to twist and turn to make things fit.

I quote... "Amazing………truly amazing……………… and you invested in this with all your years of experience in financial services?"

>> Greater minds than mine are also invested. And, just for reference, payments have been received on time every time to date. <<

I quote... "I am surprised as an investor in the CWM FX program that you are reluctant to divulge precise details of the scheme." and later .. "Why not please tell us exactly who the contract, parties involved and so on were instead of just confirming?"

>> so let me just say, the majority of posts in this room, in fact 9 or even 10 pages were made before my comments. You all presumed you had the facts to make all of those comments. Now you are asking me to divulge details of my contractual relations?- errr I don't think so puppy dog. If you can make all of the assumptions made to date without first hand knowledge, even when some claim to be close to investors, the company et al then that beggars belief. I was asked by Traker 535 to indulge you... which is what I have done. <<<

I quote. " It is almost as if you are defending CWM on some kind of legal technicality or nuances of wording."

>> Draw from my comments what you will. I am probably the only one posting who has a contract in the managed fund. I am probably the only one posting with first hand knowledge of what was offered and by whom. IF this programme is a Ponzi as many of you suggest, then I stand to loose a considerable amount of money... however, your assessment of the programme being offered is based on hearsay and are (as in my case) factually incorrect. (the programme terms for example) <<

I quote. "Were CMW FX Promoting an Investment Against the Rules ?"

>> Is that a question you need answering? Having read the previous 10 pages in this thread I would have thought that was a gimee! Most of the posts in this thread categorically support the notion that CWM FX were promoting an investment. However, just to be clear, I was not introduced to the programme by CWM FX and CWM FX do not appear on any paperwork/contract documentation. So from my perspective, limited as it is, I cannot confirm either way, other than to say... not to me they didn't.

I trust that clarifies my position.

I rest my case. You guys really don't get it do you. Even now you are looking for clues to support your ideology. You have built your case on hearsay information and when first hand information is provided you want to twist and turn to make things fit.

I quote... "Amazing………truly amazing……………… and you invested in this with all your years of experience in financial services?"

>> Greater minds than mine are also invested. And, just for reference, payments have been received on time every time to date. <<

I quote... "I am surprised as an investor in the CWM FX program that you are reluctant to divulge precise details of the scheme." and later .. "Why not please tell us exactly who the contract, parties involved and so on were instead of just confirming?"

>> so let me just say, the majority of posts in this room, in fact 9 or even 10 pages were made before my comments. You all presumed you had the facts to make all of those comments. Now you are asking me to divulge details of my contractual relations?- errr I don't think so puppy dog. If you can make all of the assumptions made to date without first hand knowledge, even when some claim to be close to investors, the company et al then that beggars belief. I was asked by Traker 535 to indulge you... which is what I have done. <<<

I quote. " It is almost as if you are defending CWM on some kind of legal technicality or nuances of wording."

>> Draw from my comments what you will. I am probably the only one posting who has a contract in the managed fund. I am probably the only one posting with first hand knowledge of what was offered and by whom. IF this programme is a Ponzi as many of you suggest, then I stand to loose a considerable amount of money... however, your assessment of the programme being offered is based on hearsay and are (as in my case) factually incorrect. (the programme terms for example) <<

I quote. "Were CMW FX Promoting an Investment Against the Rules ?"

>> Is that a question you need answering? Having read the previous 10 pages in this thread I would have thought that was a gimee! Most of the posts in this thread categorically support the notion that CWM FX were promoting an investment. However, just to be clear, I was not introduced to the programme by CWM FX and CWM FX do not appear on any paperwork/contract documentation. So from my perspective, limited as it is, I cannot confirm either way, other than to say... not to me they didn't.

I trust that clarifies my position.

Thanks Indignation for clarifying your position.

It is always good to hear a different point of view and, of course...the 'puppy dog' reference is something I haven't heard yet.

One thing I would disagree with is that there is a certain 'ideology' regarding CWM FX. This sounds very much like your classic straw man argument.

From Wikipedia: A straw man is a common reference argument and is an informal fallacy based on false representation of an opponent's argument. To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition

There have been numerous factual statements about CWM FX which a quick glance through the thread would underline. It was little to do with a ponzi scheme (in fact, people were careful not to ever make that statement ).

Here are a few off the top of my head just to remind you:

1 Aggressive sales practices with misleading statements concerning risks to prospective clients. http://uk.whocalledme.com/PhoneNumber/02036953844
2 Lack of UK licensing to sell managed investments (whilst promoting them to the general public).
3 A management team inexperienced in regulated UK financial services
4 A billionaire (with sparse information about his wealth or identity in the public domain)
5 A police raid (of course that does not mean they did anything wrong)
http://www.cityam.com/211002/heron-tower-raid-colourful-world-chelsea-fc-s-forex-partner-cwm-fx
6 An offshore entity (Belvedere) which is part of the group (according to CWM's own website) This is being investigated by the local regulator in Mauritius.
( Example http://www.fscmauritius.org/media/210561/public-notice-lancelot-global-pcc.pdf)
7 A liquidity/licensing provider who had ceased their partnership (although, of course, this could be a clumsy transition from one provider to another).

The 'ponzi' scheme suggestion came from a number of sources (including an external source http://www.offshorealert.com/david-...neth-maillard-belvedere-management-fraud.aspx). I don't believe anyone on this forum directly suggested that CWM was running a Ponzi scheme as the only way to confirm it would be to conduct a very thorough investigation.

Maybe you are correct and the CWM (or not-CWM ?) offshore investment itself was a good one ? It did raise quite a few immediate red flags for a few people who have a lot of experience in financial service (stable guaranteed returns, offshore, underwriter etc) but it could be a good investment after all and it is best to keep an open mind. (It certainly seems to produce some quite decent returns for you I gather and you seem happy.) All I would ever suggest to anyone is to exercise a great deal of caution in light of the factual information above.

To be honest I will be taking a step back from this thread. My original intention was very neutral and purely to suggest that readers exercise caution and perform extra due diligence and I think that purpose has been served. I made it clear I have no axe to grind and I had no other purpose.

I will leave it up to the readers to perform their own research and due diligence if they decide to invest with CWM. (There appears to be at least one satisfied customer so you might even be in good company.)

Thinking positively, perhaps this could even be a golden opportunity for CWM to address these areas with a PR release and put some of these concerns to rest ?

A few questions have come to mind:

1. Does anyone know of an FX trading application that automatically scalps, and can do this some 1500 times a day. Ok don't laugh here is my understanding and remember that introducers are not providing any paperwork but going through the investment verbally:

so we have an FX trading application that is given whether the go long or short on a currency pair. it then sees if the market is trending in the same way as the app (say long), if so it stays in the trade. if the market goes against the trend of the app, the app trades one more time. if the market goes again against the trend of the app the app reverse its trade position (it would go short)

2. what sort of power do the FCA have over unregulated investments

3. if your investment money is placed into an escrow type account, what right has the investor on this account.

Shame you are leaving the thread deltatrader12, thanks for your previous posts

A few questions have come to mind:

1. Does anyone know of an FX trading application that automatically scalps, and can do this some 1500 times a day. Ok don't laugh here is my understanding and remember that introducers are not providing any paperwork but going through the investment verbally:

so we have an FX trading application that is given whether the go long or short on a currency pair. it then sees if the market is trending in the same way as the app (say long), if so it stays in the trade. if the market goes against the trend of the app, the app trades one more time. if the market goes again against the trend of the app the app reverse its trade position (it would go short)

2. what sort of power do the FCA have over unregulated investments

3. if your investment money is placed into an escrow type account, what right has the investor on this account.

Shame you are leaving the thread deltatrader12, thanks for your previous posts

No problem and thank you all too ! This will be my last post.

I thought it best to take a step back as I think that the facts will more or less present themselves in the weeks ahead. Also, the recent posts with Indignation were beginning to get slightly emotional as opposed to factual. The original purpose of my posts was simply to encourage caution and due diligence nothing more and this purpose has been served.

As final comments to your last post (Disclaimer: This is purely my opinion and may need further research).

1 The FX application question. There are of course all manner of systematic trading strategies, algorithms and HFT (high frequency trading) strategies. They vary in complexity but can involve vast banks of servers located close to exchanges with low latency feeds. In other words, they are usually highly resourced and complex entities requiring teams of experts. (These firms normally hire smart people known as 'quants' who might be phd graduates from MIT or actual rocket scientists as well as IT experts ). Usually, if a firm has developed a systematic trading edge it can attract walls of institutional money and does not need to market themselves to 1000s of Joe Publics (with all the associated problems, risks and expense involved). Also, due to the high level of competition between these firms, margins in this space are actually being squeezed recently. A kind of 'arms race' has taken place in this field. So you can imagine that, despite being very well resourced, even such huge HFT or quant firms are finding it more and more difficult to make money. It could be said that the days when somebody could do this with an 'application' are well and truly over, however, we have to keep an open mind in the interests of fairness.

The problem is people often do not think objectively. An FX 'app' fits into some people's idea of a Holy Grail or magic formula. A modern-day Philosopher's Stone which our modern FX alchemists say can turn base metals into gold. Just like a way of 'Making Money While you Sleep' or in '10 Easy Steps to Success.' It is what some people genuinely want to believe and it is easier to sell something to someone who wants to believe in something.

Now of course, the only way to find out if this is real is to perform some due diligence and look for objective facts. Are there externally audited results? For how long do they go back? Who are the money managers? What is their background? How big is this 'app' (is it just 10 megabytes) ? What are the risk adjusted returns ? (Risk adjusted is an important concept few people get). No genuine person should be afraid of giving them and shouldn't obfuscate. Also, logically, there is the question, 'Why market this to Joe Public when you can attract institutional money?' Also, 'how come your 10 megabyte app works and the big firms have never thought of it?'

2 The power the FCA has over unregulated investments question. First of all we have to understand what an unregulated investment is. To market an investment to the general public (e.g shares, REITs, unit trusts etc) a firm has to comply with all manner of regulations and compliance. Risk warnings, KYC, AML regulations and give detailed fact sheets. Structurally, the investments themselves can involve expensive trustees (as in unit trusts) or the investments may themselves be restricted by not being allowed to take on permanent leverage or only being allowed to invest in listed securities, for example.

The exception is what are known as 'hedge funds' or rather offshore funds. They can do pretty much everything (go long/short, up/down/sideways the market with maximum leverage) . These fund vehicles themselves are usually regulated offshore (the BVI or Caymans) for tax reasons and not regulated in the UK. Yet, here is the problem. According to the FSMA 2000 in order to offer them in the UK you have to be regulated. There are no exceptions and anyone who is offering financial services in the UK has to be regulated. So the FCA gives a license to asset management firms (known as hedge funds) based usually in Mayfair. They are regulated in the UK yet they cannot market to the general public and can only speak to what are known as professional investors (generally HNW individuals or eligible firms based on a standard test). So these investments are, in fact, regulated (both offshore) and in the UK (by the FCA). The difference is that the regulation is very light-touch in comparison to the big funds (less restriction on investment strategies, less reporting and so on) and they are not allowed to be sold to the general public because they are riskier and more complex. Hence the confusion about being regulated or not. The protection is there for the general public. It is broadly a similar structure in the US and other countries too.

To add to the confusion. The FCA has a list of things which it regulates (shares, ISAs, funds, futures etc) and wine, diamonds, rare earth metals, strange miraculous plants in Africa, carbon, financial education and ...indeed ...binary options are not on the list. So they cannot do anything in these fields although occasionally you hear about the Serious Fraud Office or Office of Fair Trading arresting people and closing firms down (these are different agencies). These investments are not regulated. In these fields salesman can and do say everything and anything as there are no regulations.

3 The escrow question. My understanding is that a lot depends on the escrow agreement. However, normally when managing investments you have a different format to an escrow account (again this is pretty standard in most countries). Usually you use a prime broker or custodian account which is separate from the management firm. The management firm has the ability through a power of attorney to make trades either with express permission every time (an advisory license) or usually without permission every time (a fund or discretionary asset manager). They NEVER have the right to transfer the money from one account to another or take money out. The money always stays protected and in the client's control and this is the role of the custodian or brokerage account to protect it. Of course, they can lose money if they manage it badly but they can't touch it.

Last edited:
I have spent 2 weeks of my time looking into this scheme back in February and as the origins of their post outlined the information was scant. I was asked to Sign a non disclosure agreement followed by a money laundering check / all leading to a meeting with the cwm fx team. My meeting scheduled for match was cancelled last minute and I failed to get another meeting with them. The promised 5% etc is carbon copy of the deal and the panic to get in Funds was unsettling.
The introduction by the broker to them is still live and he had his head in the sand when it comes to the facts. Sadly it's Human nature to want to believe in something to be true if we held onto a dream but there is a harsh reality in this one - if it walks like a duck and sounds like one .....

Hi,

In my time at CWMFX I came across activity which was against employment regulations and against regulations regarding the mis-selling of financial products and services (please have a look at my recent 'more factual' post).

Regarding the 'guaranteed' investment. I was there for only a short period and was not aware in full regarding the precise mechanics of the investment program. Based on conversations I had in CWMFX the general details were expressed verbally. However, these details were enough for me to advise caution to users of the forum particularly in light of my experiences of the company's lack of ethics, lack of basic compliance and aggressive sales practices (details such as lack of UK FCA advisory or discretionary licensing, mysterious underwriter, stable and guaranteed returns on the volatile FX market etc etc). I left it up to others to do their due diligence.

I think, however, that there are more than enough people out there with first-hand experience of precise details/mechanics of the investment program that they may be able to answer your questions better regarding these details.

Indignation said:
And what is happening in the media/press? With such a high profile Company and CEO who have sponsorship deals with some of the biggest names in sport, surely an investigative journalist / newspaper would be al over this.

So, its started......http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manage...e/a805581?ref=wealth_manager_all_stories_list

From the article: "In a statement detective superintendent Maria Woodall said: ‘The primary objective of the arrest phase of this investigation was to stop what we believe was ongoing criminality and prevent people putting their money into CWM’s managed funds offering 5% interest per month.’

She added: ‘Now we need anyone who thinks they have invested in this specific enterprise to get in contact and help us clarify exactly how this company has been using the funds given to them in good faith by the citizens living in the UK and abroad.’"

Morning all

First of all thanks for your last post deltatrader12, much appriciated. All you have said makes perfect sense.

So you all know CWM have made the front pages of City AM:

http://www.cityam.com/sites/default/files/edition/frontcover/Cityam 2015-03-25.pdf

The police are urging those in the scheme to contact them. So If you do believe in being factual and just....

On the basis that the alleged fraud perpetrated by the CWM Group either in their own name or on behalf of somebody else is under police investigation, and 13 members of the team including the CEO and MD have been arrested and bailed pending further enquires, it would not be appropriate for me to comment on this matter further.
I recommend we allow the authorities who are investigating this alleged fraud by CWM do their job.

Thanks to everyone here who has contributed, and lets hope innocent investors see at least something back and those that should have known better learn a valuable lesson.
If it seems too good to be true, it normally is!

Paperwork or not, there is a money trail.

All Regulated investments require detailed information to be provided to investors. These are known as Information Memorandums and Prospectuses. Some investments require Key Features documents.

An Unregulated Investments can have as much or little as they wish to provide.