Cutting Losses & Running Winners Trading Journal

Hi JRP2891 - Yes I see where you are coming from with trailing stops. I'm certainly not saying that wouldn't work. I'm not dictating to anyone how to trade here, simply trying to point out that cutting losers and running winners can be a good strategy. It's up to the individual what that means to them and how they implement it in their trading, if at all.

For me, my experience with trailing stops has been almost universally frustrating. In the situation you describe, yes I might have bagged 1,000 pips. But what if the market touches that trailing stop and then reverses to go 10,000 pips into profit? I am not prepared to take that risk. The opportunity cost is too great for me. I want to give every trade the best possible opportunity to last for years. For me that means not closing out until it turns negative. But each to their own, if you want to use trailing stops by all means do so!

Hi advfntrader - thanks for your comment. You have touched on something very important; i.e. "just let the market take you out". Do not isolate your thinking to one trade or one pair. I take longs and shorts, majors and minors. If one trade gets stopped out at B/E having been 1,000 pips in profit, I will most likely have a long coming up from somewhere below, possibly on the same pair, maybe on a different pair. That's my interpretation of "letting the market take me out". Very insightful comment, though, thanks.

Hi tomorton - your comment struck a real chord with me, not so much from a technical trading point of view but from a philosophical dimension. This is the quote:

"run winners and cut losers is more an aspirational thing, such as 'make profit and don't lose money"

Do you aspire to be profitable? Hope to be profitable? I'll tell you what I do. I decide to be profitable. There's a huge difference.

Aspiration leaves too much room for failure. "Ah well maybe it wasn't meant to be".

Feck that. I'm going to be profitable. Shout it from the rooftops. Your behaviour changes. You start doing things consistent with becoming profitable. This goes for anything in life. Decide to drive the car; Decide to get the girl; Decide to nail this trading lark and make it work.

Many people have discussed the power of making a decision. The psychologist I referred to above and Will Smith are the two that spring to my mind, I am sure there are others.

http://youtu.be/OVFZ7kJIbsE

Good trading to all.

Nigel

Last edited:
Nigel

I'm all for cutting your losses (or, maybe hedging them) but I'm not sure that running your winners is all about hanging on to a single trade through thick and thin, suffering mouth-watering retracements and tying up capital/margin whilst those retracements work themselves out.

To my mind it's about riding a trend with a variety of trades once you're off and running. Sensible additions, exits and re-entry, hedge on and off etc, etc. The important thing is to stick with the trend you've got, not necessarily the individual trade(s) that you put into it.

jon

I just thought I would update this journal. I haven't been trading as much as I would like lately due to other commitments. Sometimes it is better to just leave the charts for a few weeks.

My AUD/JPY short trades that I originally spoke about a few weeks ago are over 3,000 pips in profit now.

I have other positions open but I since I didn't call them in this forum I won't include them in the calculations. None of the other trades that I called here are still open. Some were closed at breakeven, some were cut as losers. I don't have exact calculations to hand but I would be very surprised if I had more than 500 pips in realised losses (and that's generous), so overall 2500 pips up and still gaining.

I will try to update this thread more frequently if anyone feels interested in this type of trading. It's just a matter of risk v reward I suppose, whatever you are comfortable with.

Good trading to all.

Nigel