current HOT industries and HOT company stocks?

hot stocks means movement in any direction, up or down

organised shorters working lloy to 60P, or till ftse hits 4100, waiting till the aps shares can be dumped on the market on the 1st

yes, the shares from the asset protection scheme came onto the market last week, they are freely tradeable on the first may, so people can sell them on for profit if they wish

i've been discussing what will happen with lloy with regards to the shareprice, he's a major player in short selling and was a major contributor in organising the mass short selling last year on hbos bringing it to lows and throwing it into auctions daily.

simply put unless you have major leverage you should be ok, buying at 4100 ftse is a dead cert to make money, of course assuming the recent indices rally wasn't a bear trap, but even by then lloy should hava major support that can't be broken

Hi, long time reader first time contributor.

Let me first say, i am no trader - im simply looking to invest for the long term due to the pitiful savings rates.

That being said, im looking to hold shares for years rather than days. Ive got holdings in both RBS and LLOY, 22p and 60p averages respectively. In my opinion both of these are holders for the long term. With restructuring, a bit more confidence in the housing market, and as both banking groups steer out of the governments holdings (eventually, one hopes) there is no reason to sell these.

Legal and General group interest me at the moment, sp of around 60 pence, business streams gradually getting more revenue (see latest quarter results) and a dividend imply that there might be good gains for someone brave enough to hold this stock for a year. (The question of how brave has yet to be answered).

Im anxiously watching two stocks at the moment, Timeshare (I notice there is a thread about them already on the forum from years ago) and Dawson Holdings (Historically a big dividend paying company, 6.5p annual dividends, current sp 10p). Neither of these, i would say are hot industries in particular, but it might be worth you doing some of your own research around them.

Hope that was interesting!

Edit as an afterthought, what are peoples ideas regarding oil investment (stocks in oil related firms) at present (for the long term once more)

long term on rbs and lloy is a good plan, if you have them on certificate rather than cfd etc you will make a killing over the next few years, as i too hold lloy in a sharedealing account that was a good price to get in at with rbs

with regards to oil, im not into it at all, people have told me i should go into it as sometime in the future oil prices are expected to hit the previous highs

sorry, i dont think i specified but i hold my shares as opposed to CFD. I completely agree with you though, the only real risk of long term loss is through nationalisation, and i dont think the UK Govt wants to nationalise both RBS and LLOY, so we should be ok. Might take a while before they start paying proper dividends again, but there was a recent share-issue dividend for LLOY holders, which was better than a kick in the teeth.

An interesting one now might be to look towards defense type stocks, PMC / weapon manufactures. Although I have no knowledge of this sector at all, if North Korea continues bombing things desire for these stocks might well go up.

That being said, I don't know enough about the situation or that industry to comment more about it at present.

lol, weve discussed this numerous times (not on here)

the government cannot afford to nationalise lloy or rbs.

The share issue, to be honest it wasn't the best, we were told you could over subscribe to take up any unsold shares, no we have been told they will be dumped straight on the market, of course it is better than a kick in the teeth, especially for the ones looking to average down

one thing to note is if the conservatives get elected, they have said they will split lloy/hbos, consensus appears to be the sp would rise (im unsure if this is just coming from the pre-merger lloy holders though)

Interesting that the tories would split lloy/hbos, guess just depends if they get in before the lloyds banking group strengthens sufficiently, I suppose - and i appreciate i might sound like a stuck record, if the banks can weather the storm there is a fortune to be made long-term. Just wish I had got in to Barc at sub pound levels!

Do you think there are more big companies that took a massive hit due to the economic situation that are set to post substantial long term sp gains?

ITV and YELL were interesting, but I dont see how ITV is undervalued at the moment, advertising revenue is massively down - but again, I don't know a great deal about this industry.

I plan to keep a close eye on Legal and General, I think they are undervalued - looking at significant long term growth, plus propensity towards dividend.

Would you mind having a look at dawson holdings, and see what you think about them? My view is to watch for a bit, if they manage to win some more contracts, speculative buy, but right now too much of a gamble.

Looking at the graph there isn't really much upside, but could be worth it if you can grab aload of shares, i'd look for an rbs style recovery on that.

nice stocks to get into now are insurance and housing developers

have you got any current long positions in housing construction or insurance? have just taken a quick look at taylor wimpey, think it would be worth doing some analysis of them, and barratt. Project for tonight perhaps.

i've not touched insurance, but was advised to go for it

i don't currently hold any long positions on cfd as the ftse is retracing, i held barratt from 85P people seem to think taylor wimpy are safe, but it would be your call.

buying at 4100 ftse is a dead cert to make money, of course assuming the recent indices rally wasn't a bear trap,

did you mean bull trap unicorn?

cristoff, have you done any tech analysis on YELL and ITV? if so i'd be interested in swapping analysis if you're up for that.

i was trading YELL and ITV last year and i'm kicking myself for not taking YELL at 12p in march.

goldman sachs has just upped their target price for uk media sector (YELL 60p from 27p) and yell is currently just moving up from a potential key support area.

anyway, as i said, if anyone wishes to swap tech analysis on the above PM me.

Im in two minds about both ITV and YELL, i did a lot of research around them a few months ago, and am kicking myself for not having got in - in truth i would describe myself as an investor rather than a trader, and i dont think that ITV has a sustainable business plan with advertising revenue falling so drastically and there being a massive range of channels. As for Yell - they are in a sore financial position, if they can weather the storm you can bet the price will go up, id say you should be able to make some money there in the 6-12mo period though.#

Further to a previous post i took a punt on the AIM listed Timestrip (TIME) due for an announcement on monday, and if its a good one (which I genuinely think it will be, based on the reading i have done) I think there is a reasonable amount of cash to be made there, esp with the new medical product, looks like there could be genuine sustainable growth over 10 years. I must hasten to add that this is pure speculation mind.

I am going to be taking up the LLOY offer on monday, and investing in INCH and TW. (Inchcape and Taylor Wimpey) in the next fortnight. I am also keeping an eye on Dawson holdings, they strike me as a real fallen angel, and if they can survive the short term there could be serious money to be made there, but again its a case of short term survival.

Central China Goldfields (GGG) and i'm not mentioning them any more, just wait till september or make a note of it and see what happens; hopefully something big will happen between now and then.

jonny, keep an eye on GGG in July, big stuff going down.

thanks...
penny stocks are dangerous. Im already stuck into one at the moment. Im thinking i need
to focus on more mainstream stuff like FTSE stocks and indice.

i really would stay away from GGG if i wer u

lol dont worry im not planning on messing with them...

but to be fair...the penny stocks have the scope to double your money or more...if you pick em.... but the flip side, you lose big and quick.