Cricket ODI

Take away the irreplaceable Warne and McGrath, and Australia will not look so hot in four years time...

The Aussie batting is not as great as it is made out, the side is ageing, and although it is not much comfort at the moment, in four years time the Australians will be heading in the wrong direction, just as the once invincible Windies did............

Its not over until the fat lady sings.

Replace Jones with Read as he will score more runs and will not drop any catches.
Replace Simon Jones with Sidebottom, currently the best English pace bowler apart from Harmison.

JonnyT

Pippppin said:
Take away the irreplaceable Warne and McGrath, and Australia will not look so hot in four years time...

The Aussie batting is not as great as it is made out, the side is ageing, and although it is not much comfort at the moment, in four years time the Australians will be heading in the wrong direction, just as the once invincible Windies did............

I do agree somewhat. There are some good bowlers coming thru in Australia, but definetly none of the calibre of Warne and Mcgrath. Not so with the batting, there are some good batters waiting in the wings, they just cant get a chance in the test arena, and so there will be 5 or 6 new faces batting wise after the next world cup. And yes it will take time to rebuild, I do agree.

I would be confident in saying we wont go down as hard as the Windies, as the Aussies have a good academy system.

But still winning now so no drams, and still as I have posted before, Aussies will win 3 - 1, or after the 1st test I may even change that to 4 - 0. :cheesy:

But gee it has been a good 15 years or so.......

Last edited:
Fatman, whatever the English shotcomings over the years, it has been a privilege to watch Warne and McGrath, the Waugh twins etc....

Enjoy the rest of the series

Pippppin,

I for sure will enjoy it.

I hope it is a close contest as ashes series are the best test matches around!!

And I totally agree, Warne and Mcgrath are 2 of the best bowlers that I will see in my lifetime.

Both so consistently on the money with each and every ball, they are amazing working in tandem from each end.

Possibly because it is intellectually too difficult a concept for your people ?

You play a simplifed game called Baseball, which we call Rounders.

Girls usually play that in the UK.

Hi Tom,

I wonder why cricket never took off in the US

That’s a good question and one that Niall Ferguson has made some interesting observations about at various times and places. Here’s one, taken from the lecture that he gave to FPA on the subject of, “Is the U.S. an Empire in Denial?”

“I am always tempted to; at this point to reflect on the tragedy that cricket is no longer played in this country as the result of an unfortunate colonial rebellion in 1776. My book has rather sad paragraph about the last great New York cricket match in the 1770s, when a touring England eleven dutifully lost to the colonists. I have tried to suggest that losing to the colonists is one of the ways that the British tried to keep their empire together. I had rather hoped to find that the British had won that match, and this might be one of the explanations for the war of independence that no one had noticed.”

Here’s the link: http://www.fpa.org/topics_info2414/topics_info_show.htm?doc_id=193437

In case you missed it, Ferguson is the author of Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power.

In fact, the book has several sad paragraphs on the “subject” of the great game.

“Demise”, you can almost hear the bulkheads cracking, can’t you Salty?

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Mayfly said:
Hi Tom,

That’s a good question and one that Niall Ferguson has made some interesting observations about at various times and places. Here’s one, taken from the lecture that he gave to FPA on the subject of, “Is the U.S. an Empire in Denial?”

“I am always tempted to; at this point to reflect on the tragedy that cricket is no longer played in this country as the result of an unfortunate colonial rebellion in 1776. My book has rather sad paragraph about the last great New York cricket match in the 1770s, when a touring England eleven dutifully lost to the colonists. I have tried to suggest that losing to the colonists is one of the ways that the British tried to keep their empire together. I had rather hoped to find that the British had won that match, and this might be one of the explanations for the war of independence that no one had noticed.”

Here’s the link: http://www.fpa.org/topics_info2414/topics_info_show.htm?doc_id=193437

In case you missed it, Ferguson is the author of Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power.

In fact, the book has several sad paragraphs on the “subject” of the great game.

“Demise”, you can almost hear the bulkheads cracking, can’t you Salty?

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Ah Yes, and of course, the British were right about everything, right? Wrong. I don't care to reflect upon the imperialism of the British or the Rebellion of the colonist. However, I am glad the Britian and the US are allies today.

Can you imagine a sub-human like George Bush attempting to understand the finer points of cricket ?

The "man ? " can't even eat a pretzel and sit on a sofa simultaneously.

A bit like that Gerald Ford guy really.

He couldn't walk and talk at the same time without falling over.

No wonder they can't get their heads around cricket, although it would be fun to watch them play..

They would be falling down and choking themselves all the time and would provide superb entertainment.

Alas, they would always lose.

Salty Gibbon said:
Can you imagine a sub-human like George Bush attempting to understand the finer points of cricket ?

The "man ? " can't even eat a pretzel and sit on a sofa simultaneously.

A bit like that Gerald Ford guy really.

He couldn't walk and talk at the same time without falling over.

No wonder they can't get their heads around cricket, although it would be fun to watch them play..

They would be falling down and choking themselves all the time and would provide superb entertainment.

Alas, they would always lose.

George Bush is one of the best presidents this world has ever had. Compared to the French, Russians and others who are wimps, cowards and liars, the US, the LEADERS of the free world, are spreading democracy, taking care of the problem while some Euros countries are in bed with the corrupt UN, doing under the table deals in oil for food, while on the surface appearing to be friends with the US. WHAT LOSERS. Yeah, we make some mistakes, our biggest one thinking that the EURO TRASH is worth being friends with. Ha! Have we been duped. You Euros don't understand Bush neither do you have the BRAINS to look past your feeble immature understanding and look into the deeper man. By the way - Cricket is for FAGS.

Quote:

George Bush is one of the best presidents this world has ever had. Compared to the French, Russians and others who are wimps, cowards and liars, the US, the LEADERS of the free world, are spreading democracy, taking care of the problem while some Euros countries are in bed with the corrupt UN, doing under the table deals in oil for food, while on the surface appearing to be friends with the US. WHAT LOSERS. Yeah, we make some mistakes, our biggest one thinking that the EURO TRASH is worth being friends with. Ha! Have we been duped. You Euros don't understand Bush neither do you have the BRAINS to look past your feeble immature understanding and look into the deeper man. By the way - Cricket is for FAGS.

Absolutely, right! Err, except the last sentence ......

Anyway, here's something for you Tom: http://normblog.typepad.com/normblog/

Norman Geras is the darling of the neocons in Washington and a real cricket fan too. Check it out? :cool:

Regards

Mayfly

SportingOdds are currently giving 1/50 England to win and 20/1 Australia to win the 2nd Test.

Might be worth a tenner on the Aussies to win knowing their fighting spirit and ability to pull these things out of the hat.

Last edited: