Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

hey all

i'll get to L's discussions later ...looks interesting :)

heres the week on the Daily and weekly charts

Dow is weak ..3 weeks of sub 20sma on the right chart and the left chart daily's

I therefore hunting buys on USD and /OR Yen.......(see system rules below) the only deviation will be if Yen and USD are the same side BELOW the Zero .....that indicates other forces are at play and we need to be selling them and obeying the larger forces !

so this week we went to the USD as a buy when it crossed back above the Zero..prior to that we took sells on yen and USD as they were both below the Zero and we ignored the demise of the DOW temporarily

hey - its not a multimillion dollar Quant programme but what do you want for free....and you are then missing the point ! :smart:

This thread is an introduction to Forex Strengthmeter Training dudes .......if you want to leverage the system and ideas and make the money you need to put in the time to develop your own ideas (10 years so far for me) ......and i'm not into selling mine..... (well not just yet :p)

have a good weekend !
N

Attachments

• the week.jpg
    the week.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 161
mornin all...

Dow still weak .............so look to strength from Yen and or USD (see free system in signature area)

usd is already strong on the left chart (20 ma on daily)..........Yen is showing good strength just a few hours into this week on the right 1 ma Weekly chart setting ...........wait for the yen to cross the left charts zero line for confirmation of buys....

or........follow your own rules ..............

later
N

Attachments

• week starting 27th aug 2013.JPG
    week starting 27th aug 2013.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 213
mornin all...

Dow still weak .............so look to strength from Yen and or USD (see free system in signature area)

usd is already strong on the left chart (20 ma on daily)..........Yen is showing good strength just a few hours into this week on the right 1 ma Weekly chart setting ...........wait for the yen to cross the left charts zero line for confirmation of buys....

later
N

Hello nvp. I really commend you for the good work you have done so far. I have come to understand over time that u either learn forex the easy way or hard way. Easy does it for me. Please do me a favour. Could u please just post a link to the latest fxcorrelator page and your basic trading rules. Secondly what's ur name on facebook, i respect and have a lot to learn from u boss.

Hey L..see my comments below in red - :smart:

Hi Nvp, hi folk,

I would like to share some observations with you as well as some questioning.
Nvp, I have some questions for you (and if someone else has any inspiring answers, you are welcome...:)).

I have been experimenting with FX corr strengh meter related to the the correlation of the main pairs with the Dow for some month now and tried to incorporate this system to my own system.

Basically, I am almost exclusively working on M1 Time Frame.....1 minute :eek:

I have been observing some very interesting things, that I do not manage to understand at the moment, hence I am asking here to you Nvp, as well as to the others, what you think about all this.

I have been playing around with the MA settings 20, 80 and 200.
I have been observing the correlation between the Down and Nasdaq from one side with EURUSD, USDCHF, EURJPY, and USDJPY from the other side.

As we all know the triangle EURUSD, EURJPY and USDJPY has to be observed closely and as a whole to determine which pair will move the most and in which direction (the same as any set of pairs though ?) . Also, USDCHF is used to precise, confirm or sometimes give head up on EURUSD movements, sometimes in EURJPY.....the CHF is a wildcard .....I tend not to follow it anymore but if anything I am happy if it is following the EURO's direction

(So I am now talking only about M1 time frame....yes and thats a dangerous TF ! )
With all this in mind, I looked at how the Dow and Nasdaq moved compared to these pairs, when they cross the 80MA, the 200MA ad when do the bounce on it.
What I have been observing is that most of the time, the Dow or Nasdaq move before the currency pairs. (or do they move afterwards from the last crossover point ? ......depends on how you look at sequencing - BEWARE !! :cool:)

1) So here is my first question: how is it that the indexes move before the currency pairs? I am thinking that we need to purchase currencies (USD), to then be able to buy these index. It maybe be more logical on the sell side of the index: we get some cash when we sell them.......they dont necessarily ....see my last comment..but if you think they do then act on that signal based on the pattern you believe happens whene Equities fall and when they rise ....and let us know yuor success...perhaps a higher TF may help on confirm this ?

I will be glade if somebody could give me an explaination to that:).

Well that is not the core of my questioning.

I have been observing that most of the time the movments, I mean the legs of the swings and breakouts, happen just first on the indexes, and the currencies follow.
There is 3 differents possibilities:
a- positive correlation
b- negative correlation
c- no correlation...........define no correlation please

I have been observing that for most of the time it is either a- or b-, either a clear positive correlation either a clear negative correlation.

So, for most of the time, the indexes moves, then at least one or two of these 4 pairs (EURUSD, USDCHF, EURJPY, and USDJPY) move and the correlation if either positive or negative....dude at least 2 currencies will move as you are using a small sample group.......remember Currencies are a zero sum game so things have to move if one moves .....;)

Now what I really thought was incredible is the following exemple:
EURJPY start moving in the same direction as the indexes with a little lag. The indexes break down the 80MA. EURJPY follow with a little lag. then the indexes reach a low, start moving up again. EURJPY follow with a little lag. The indexes bounce on the 80MA and head south again. EURJPY follow with a little lag, also bounce on its 80MA and head south afterwards. Now the same pattern occurs again, new low for the indexes, they bounce again on the 80MA, and head south. But this time, EURJPY cross its 80MA up instead of bouncing down like the indexes. And from now on, the indexes and EURJPY are going to be perfectly negativly correlated for next 1h30. It means, when the indexes are going to make a new low, EURJPY is going to make a new high. When the indexes are going to bounce on the 80MA and head south again, EURJPY is going to bounce on its 80MA as well with a little lag and head north....if you say so ..........I do agree on the E/J positive correlation to Equities though and always the first pair I look at vs a BIG dow move (y)

So here is what I have really not been able to determine:
2) What makes the correlation EURJPY (or any other of these 4 pairs)/Indexes (Dow and Nasdaq) shift from positive to negative in this way? I have been turning this in every way I have been thinking about with the strengh meter, but nothing really clear appeared (I have been following quite close what you are talking about Nvp, especially with the USD and Yen crossing together the 0 line).

Does anyone has an input on these to questions:
2) What makes the correlation EURJPY (or any other of these 4 pairs)/Indexes (Dow and Nasdaq) shift from positive to negative?
1) How is it that the indexes move before the currency pairs?

see my answers above L.......you are now in your own world of exploring the dynamics of strengthmeters and is is not an easy journey .......and full of dead ends i'm afraid most of the time (in my opinion)

I cannot tell you what to do ..you have to take this path in the direction you want but I will say the following to help (hopefully)

1) take each step slowly and examine each step you add so you are clear why you are doing it and what you are looking for .........do not add complication before you are happy with each step

2) the correlation of Equities to currencies is a large step ........are you happy about why/how the Currencies interact with each other first before you move onto correlating them to currencies ?

Personally I would sopend more time and energy on becomeing expert on currency relationships befroe you move onto correlating them to Equities

and if its any consolation my top gun and best trading system I use on a daily basis on any TF DOES NOT use (much) intermarket correlation...its all 90% + based on the dynamics of individual currencies regardless of what equities are doing ................although I do take note of the VOLATILITY of the equity markets (up or down)

good hunting my friend ....your journey will be long but worth it (y)(y)

N

Thanks for reading, happy trading to all,

L

Hello nvp. I really commend you for the good work you have done so far. I have come to understand over time that u either learn forex the easy way or hard way. Easy does it for me. Please do me a favour. Could u please just post a link to the latest fxcorrelator page and your basic trading rules. Secondly what's ur name on facebook, i respect and have a lot to learn from u boss.

My website is not available currently (long story - tread the thread :cool: )

my latest rules are in the signature area below ...follow the links dude

good hunting (y)

N

hey all - just popped in ...........i'm snowed under at work and other things as the builders and decorators still try to destroy my house on a daily basis ....my PC is under 4 coats of paint !!

anyway should be better soon and I can perhaps get back to business .......I have a VPS now loaded and I want to play with some live video streaming soon of my bespoke systems

cheers all
N

mornin all...

later
N

hey all

ref above .......... YEN and USD are strong this week....so stay on them (y)

N

Attachments

• us30daily.png
    us30daily.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 151
  • us30weekly.png
    us30weekly.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 154
mornin all...

heres the week into friday .....

I have been talking about buys on USD and Yen most of the week ....thisis due to dow weakness and the usd and yen then getting north of Zero on the daily ....chart 1

the weeks chart (1ma setting) shows the strength this week of Yen, then followed by USD .....euro is the Dog this week so far

which means pips if you went bullish on the dynamic duo .....you wouldnt have got the 230 pips so far on E/J this week (chart 3) ..but a good 50% so far on daily settings

the main principle here though is following what the usd and or the Yen are doing and trading off of that strategy both at daily levels and then perhaps also on lower TFs when confluence is there as well.....

N

Attachments

• us30daily.png
    us30daily.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 177
  • us30weekly.png
    us30weekly.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 160
  • eurjpyweekly.png
    eurjpyweekly.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 158
ok i'm taking a few friends and family away for the weekend to a show.....

have a good weekend and I will pop in again later on monday

enjoy the weekend and the Jedster will also be back soon from his summer break

N

Morning all,
August has finished... kids are back at school, France has gone back to work, and so have I :cry:

Still, at least that means I can now get back to trading and making some more money :clap:

Woohoo...

Morning all,
August has finished... kids are back at school, France has gone back to work, and so have I :cry:

Still, at least that means I can now get back to trading and making some more money :clap:

Woohoo...

welcome back dude ......just got back from a long weekend myself so will go online later to see what the world is doing

later
N

hey all

Well I stay on the Dailys as its easier to follow here and less time consuming for me ......

hmmm........well we've had a good run buying USD in last 10 days or so .....its been above the Zero and working well with the Dow being below its 20 sma ......Yen was the buy as well for a while ......but has dumped already today.....and is out of the game .......ouch

so hang fire on any remaining USD Buys......but if you look at the right chart (1ma setting on a FXCorrelator X-men indicator on a weekly chart)......their are already X men above the USD so it is now firmly under pressure this week ........

if you were still running sells on EURO, CHF , CAD (and even YEN) against the Yen you are still in business as they are below the 1ma chart .....but any Sells you had re GBP or the Aussies are going going or already gone and you need to consider taking any profits made in the last week or 2 ....

thats it gang ............simpler simpler simpler .....

N

Attachments

• week commencing 2nd sept 2013.JPG
    week commencing 2nd sept 2013.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 138
hey all

early work start today so no chance to check screens this morning ..perhaps later

N

hey gang

someone asked me how i learn ............well heres an option to cut through the B*S* and assist other methods

go to youtube .........type in trading .......then blast through the videos that interest you.....and then go to the links and associated videos....etc etc

you could do this for days or weeks ............so what ?...........you will soon get a grasp of what kind of stuff good and bad is out there in the market place and it will give you some pointers

dont buy anything and just keep going at it ...........its frantic and its fun .....and a welcome changes from reading endless forum pages (but do that as well)

shotgun ?.............in truth its the way I learn ....and have learned over the last 10 years alongside my Forex Strengthmeter research

N

hey all

still struggling to get to charts much this week....tomorrow will be better for me

N

hey gang

someone asked me how i learn ............well heres an option to cut through the B*S* and assist other methods

go to youtube .........type in trading .......then blast through the videos that interest you.....and then go to the links and associated videos....etc etc

you could do this for days or weeks ............so what ?...........you will soon get a grasp of what kind of stuff good and bad is out there in the market place and it will give you some pointers

dont buy anything and just keep going at it ...........its frantic and its fun .....and a welcome changes from reading endless forum pages (but do that as well)

shotgun ?.............in truth its the way I learn ....and have learned over the last 10 years alongside my Forex Strengthmeter research

N

heres a guy I like ..........his videos are pretty down to earth and believable ...........

if you are a beginner looking to make 100% profits a week (as promised by that sellinar video guy you watched) you will hopefully see its not possible .....

success in forex is possible but only by applying experience , knowledge , diligence, discpline and focus......

NOTE - I have no affiliations or connections with this guy ..just a common sense dude who seems to have his act together

N

Forex Trading Tips - A Chinese Strategy for Big FX Profits - YouTube