Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

theres probably a retrace coming but what the hell........dow must fold soon

rediculous......i'm still not in thet G/U sell...sorry but its wavering

i need the dow to fold south even 1 damn bar on the 5mins even !!!

N

ok I do have to scoot for a while

If you had been part of my VIP crew last year you would have recognised this as a classic Naked trade on the 5min charts !!

whats a naked trade ?

well you just trade when the usd and yen are both one side of the zero and another currency is shifting FAST in the opposite direction ....you ignore what the Dow is doing and say SCREW correlation !

heres the 5min on a 20ma

The Dow says that the yen and usd should be falling ..but they were rising so technically all bets were off ....or idiot NVP tries to call a retrace and says wait wait wait until the Dow falters a little .......!

if you were trading naked then you just blasted the G/U and E/U sells when the lines crossed the zero on the 5min chart (about 200 years ago !)

instead of now when NVP has made you wait a long long time to take those sell trades !!!

have a good afternoon ......
NVP

Attachments

• fall dammitt.jpg
    fall dammitt.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 151
ok as I go heres the 15mins

astonishing strength on the yen and usd as dow finally falters .......this indicates tremendous bull pressure on the dynamic duo that should continue for a while yet

it was just a shame we didnt even get a whisper of weakness from the dow to give me more faith in it ....

oh me of little faith !
N

Attachments

• sells coming.jpg
    sells coming.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 140
hey all

just popped in to close up shop......jees that dow has disapointed me today !

its just flatlining.......useless for anyone !

EU got down to around 1.3013 and G/U just stuck on pretty much my last post level so that was pretty poor .......

such is life - and trading !

have a good evening
N

Attachments

• flat flat flat.jpg
    flat flat flat.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 147
hey all

last post today ......Remember I always tell you to keep it simple and then I get bored on the lower TF's and try to take the most complicated trades on the planet ?

well heres the peaceful 1 hour TF..........what are my Basic rules ?..all together

Dow > 20ma = sell usd and yen when below the zero
Dow < 20ma = buy usd and yen when above the zero
Trade the fastest diverging currencies to the yen and usd

so what do we see here on the Chart ?

lovely trades in the last 2 days ........no fuss or bother

so do what I say and not what I do here to show off ......

you have to be smart enough to build a good system
...........and then dumb enough to follow it - full stop !

you may also note I have mainly been trying to trade against the 1hr trend all afternoon ......again more abominations and gasps !!!!

Later
N

(note to self - stop being clever and follow the rules)

Attachments

• keep it simple.jpg
    keep it simple.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
hey all

http://fxcorrelator.com/corrie2/blog/now-what-2/

hope everyone enjoyed my antics trying to conjure some pips from the lower TF's yesterday.....

stepping back it was obvious I was trying to buck the main trend and in truth was trying to trade something that wasnt there.....

hey no real harm done and a handful of pips lost.......

meanwhile that Dow Daily is having fun (left chart)....will it EVER make its mind up ?

up down up down.....c'mon guys we are getting seasick !

well time will tell......just trade the simple rules here and try to keep it simple as usual.....

the 1 hour TF (right) Dow just dropped under the 20ma so lets see if it holds .......and we can start to Buy usd and Yen later today for a while

NVP:smart:

Attachments

• chop chop.jpg
    chop chop.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 131
There are some correlation between major currency pairs. There is positive correlation between EUR/USD and GBP/USD and strong negative correlation between EUR/USD and USD/CHF. Also now I am getting good correlation between EUR/USD and AUD/USD. So now AUD/USD is one of my favorite currency pair. Also there is very strong correlation between AUD/USD and NZD/USD.

no arguments from me Jeff

why not remove the USD from the equations above though to make the descriptions simpler.....?

you are really saying that the Euro,GBP and CHF are correlating positively and that the NZD and AUD are correlating positively .....

yep no arguments there......and here they all are on 4H TF.....tight as peas in a pod ?
...hmm looks like the AUD and NZD are getting a little adrift but I dont trade the NZD much as its to volatile and minor league vs AUD

just watch the Euro v GBP relationship...they tend to have a few arguments during the LondonTrading session ;)

N

Attachments

• euro vs gbp vs chf.jpg
    euro vs gbp vs chf.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 143
  • AUD vs NZD.jpg
    AUD vs NZD.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
hey all

Now what ?|FXCORRELATOR

hope everyone enjoyed my antics trying to conjure some pips from the lower TF's yesterday.....

stepping back it was obvious I was trying to buck the main trend and in truth was trying to trade something that wasnt there.....

hey no real harm done and a handful of pips lost.......

meanwhile that Dow Daily is having fun (left chart)....will it EVER make its mind up ?

up down up down.....c'mon guys we are getting seasick !

well time will tell......just trade the simple rules here and try to keep it simple as usual.....

the 1 hour TF (right) Dow just dropped under the 20ma so lets see if it holds .......and we can start to Buy usd and Yen later today for a while

NVP:smart:

hey all

well the Dow bounced off the levels earlier and we have been running some decent USD and Yen sells this morning so far

Euro and GBP have had some action ....(y)
N

Attachments

• dow rising.jpg
    dow rising.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 169
I'm not sure how you're identifying correlation, but if you look carefully you'll see that either a negative or positive correlation exists in almost every pair. This is one thing I don't like about Forex, because it inhibits diversification.

if you have been trading pure 15m TF today heres the chart

its GMT-1 so the first signals were around 6.00 on chart and actually 7.00 GMT

a little chopping but generally you should have achieved positive pips so far based on a decent Exit / Entry criteria and giving it some space

you will notice here when I trade here I give Zero wiggle room as I am generally trading the 5mins and I do not let the signals linger.........

N

Attachments

• pure 15m .jpg
    pure 15m .jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 173
I'm not sure how you're identifying correlation, but if you look carefully you'll see that either a negative or positive correlation exists in almost every pair. This is one thing I don't like about Forex, because it inhibits diversification.

Hey RL (y)

can you expand this a little please ? ...........i'm not sure why high correlation coefficients inhibit profitability in Forex .......isnt that good ?

N

well........Dows opened and I see it holding the rise......

where are Euro and GBP ?.......in a slump at present on 5mins

N

ok - my screens have crashed so going home to sulk......wife has probably hijacked my PC

grumble grumble !
N

fired it up for 1 quick look.....

jees you dont see this often.....the YEN, USD,EUR and GBP all south of the border

no trade then......

I will be honest (as usual) with you all.....I could say "look at me I bought the AUD" etc etc and called it perfectly .........naaah ;)

To be honest I dont play that Dude anymore much during London hours...its a night hunter in our european world.....emerging to feast as the asian session warms up .....
:smart:
N

Attachments

• no trades.jpg
    no trades.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 184