Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

hey all

read my post here for todays action .........If I were trading the morning session I would be hunting lower TF sells on the usual candidates of Euro , GBP and AUD into the Yen and USD.....

so perhaps my feelings in the previous Post above is correct that the recent buys on these guys are finally retracing today

good hunting

Friday Friday !|FXCORRELATOR

N

hey all

gotta scoot now ......on the 15m TF the GBP is very weak compared to the dynamics going on .....

that means if the dow moves south sell it into the usd and yen as I suspect it really wants to fall further

N

1.5687 loos as good an entty as probable...but watch the dynamics on the dow first...you need some weakness or as a minimum a loss in momentum

later
N

WARNING

Dow is in the 12900's again going south

read my early posts today and prepare !!

N

WARNING

Dow is in the 12900's again going south

read my early posts today and prepare !!

N

see ?...........stops get blown and people buy the usd and Yen back !! (y)

N

Attachments

• see what happens.jpg
    see what happens.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 149
change direction ?|FXCORRELATOR

Weve just ended a week of selling the USD and Yen

this is based on the 4h chart below (Dow and FXCorrelator) on a simple 20ma setting

I follow simple rules

my Dow was above the 20ma
My Yen and USD were below the 20ma (zero line)

and then I hunted currencies above the 20ma zero line (mainly AUD and GBP)

if I wanted more confirmation or perhaps better entry/exit signals for smaller and repeated trading I would have dropped to 1hr or even 15m timelines to watch for confirmation

that way I certainly would have stayed out of the BIG GBP retraces which would have made that particular buy trade hard work in the week !

but look at the AUD…..beautiful either as smaller bitesize trades using the 15m or 1hr to help timing…or just hanging in all week on the 4hr…. !

as in life – you can make it easy or difficult for yourself to succeed ……BUT – like life, the market will not care what you do !

so its up to you !

later
N

Attachments

• change direction.jpg
    change direction.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 140
Hey all

well on Friday (and finally ! ) all change and the Dow got short and the USD and Yen got long....heres the story

what next ?|FXCORRELATOR

my free system and indicator is available below in the signature area ...

NVP

and if the USD and Yen go south now you have a big big conundrum...

go with the move ....(assuming its supported by the Dow rising)

or wait for the Yen and USD to go north again in line with the 4h signal ?

Damn !!!
NVP

So do you follow the "higher TF trend" mantra preached by all traders in the universe ?

maybe....maybe not....depends what you believe and your journey so far in learning about markets and how to trade them

Following the higher Trend is a nice simple and safe sensible option - right ?

sounds logical and reasonable and the right thing to do....right ?

sure.....it must be the right thing to do ......right ?

welcome to trading
NVP

well based on right now ...I see no need to fight the trend as the 15m is coming again same direction as the 4H ....looks like the blue Euro is gonna take more pain ?

later all

N

Attachments

• coming again.jpg
    coming again.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 114
thats a 1.21 breach on the E/U

30th may 2010

Really ?

Really ?

Jees.......

i'm out in the canaries in August looking at some possible properties on the beach .....with E/G looking good I cannot believe my luck with this Euro dump

N

thats a 1.21 breach on the E/U

30th may 2010

Really ?

Really ?

Jees.......

you guys want live trading on a plate dont you !! :clap:

have a good day ;)

NVP

Attachments

• yes really.jpg
    yes really.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 122
Stepping aside from Correlation and Strengthmeters

imagine you traded the big 00 price numbers on currencies (like the big boys?)

your PA steps into your Mayfair Hedge fund office with a morning coffee and says ....

"Sir.....E/U just hit 1.21 .what do you want to do ?"

what do you do ?

the clock is ticking.............

NVP

Attachments

• trade the big numbers.jpg
    trade the big numbers.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 124
oh yeah...........and it took a day to get down from 1.22.......

gulp !

Heres Boris at BKForex ......and some good insight/advice

when I am trading my Strengthmeter approach I am always asking myself what I am doing

buying into a trend ?
Fading an extended (oversold/overbought) trend

for example (and I am not looking at my charts at the moment) ....that earlier E/U sell at 1.21 is a screaming oversell to me on the 4hr so I should not be selling again ..I should be waiting for an opportuninty to buy the retrace

welcome to trading !
N

and also just to make things more interesting.....a Fade on a 4hr can be a breakout on a 1hr chart ....(damn!)

Let's face it. Whether you are constructing a complex multivariate econometric model or simply looking at a 5 minute chart there are only two ways to trade. You can trade momentum - i.e. trend or you can pick tops or bottoms. It doesn't matter what instrument you follow - from the simplest common stock or plain vanilla currency pair to a CDS or a swapoption, the mechanics are all the same.

Here is the catch however.

You have to decide ahead of time what kind of trader you are. Why? Because most traders are not psychologically capable of changing styles in mid-market. Basically you either buy breakouts or fade them. More importantly you have to accept the consequences of your choice. In choppy markets momentum trades gets decimated and sometimes the best thing for a trend trader to do is to set aside until direction re-establishes itself. In strongly trending markets every pause is just an invitation for range traders and to take away their money as the market squeezes them higher or presses them lower.

The worst thing in the world to do however, is to change tactics in mid-stream. I know that better than anybody, because although I am a momentum trader I will sometimes succumb to the temptation of selling tops and picking bottoms and will inevitably lose money in the process.

The key to sticking to your style is to understand and more importantly to expect when you will lose money. The reason most traders alter their approaches on the fly is because they are frustrated by the losses of their strategy. But by constantly changing tactics however, they only exacerbate their problems. Instead of constantly changing how you trade, it is much more productive to seeks out an instrument that is conducive to your style. In FX for example buying breakouts in cable is generally a sucker's bet, but following flow in euro works much better.

Know your style, know your instrument, know yourself and you will have a much easier time mastering the game.

N

Last edited:
e/U

1.21 under huge pressure again .....looks like we are gonna see a little sub 1.21 for a while this morning if Dow stays weak

USD especially is remaining strong over last 24 hours so its not gonna buckle for anything much at present

N