Best Thread CMC Markets owner answers your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL... you created an account on T2W just to tell us how amazing the platform is?
At least we have one person who likes it... WOW.... well done CMC.

Actually i was hoping to get a fast answer by telling them that i like the platform :cheesy:
No, honestly: i really like the new features and the new design ;)

The main reason i created an account was cause i wanted to know how they handle scalpers, since im a hardcore scalper.

I wrote a mail to the official customer support with the same question but they didnt answer yet (5 days)....maybe they dont WANT to answer....

So i was hoping to get an answer from Peter.....

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

I started reading this thread from the beginning, got 40 pages or so in and stopped and skipped to the end. I was prompted to start doing some research on other SB platforms after I was told by email that the old platform was closing later this month. That finally prompted me to take a proper look at next gen. The first glaringly obvious problem was that the instruments I have finally started making a small amount of money on in the last year are not present (TSX, Japan Shares).Like I say thats how I found this forum, looking for a solution to my problem.

Then as I read this thread that you started, I was taken into the technical world of "execution, spreads and prices". Something came to my awareness whislt reading this. I often observe how different the prices where at any moment in time when comparing them to other market indicators, I never really have had an issue with this, I am just grateful that SB firms have innovated platforms that allow people to play on the markets in a realtively simple fashion. But then it dawned on me from reading this thread just how much better I might be doing if I was buying and selling on prices closer to market reality. I don't think it is possible for any spread betting firm to rationalise their competitive edges using any spreads headline or otherwise, if at the end of the day the system builds in such a margin for the SB firm in real time in relation to the market that the spread is academic, even a layman such as me can see this.

I want to use next generation but I am concerned the instruments I would like to play are not available so have just opened an IG account and an Interactive broker account. At present I havent switched my funds out of the old CMC account...I tried on the phone with CMC last week...it never happened. I have to say that aspect of CMC has always disspointed me...I have been to your offices before, for a free seminar or two, I could see then that the concept of customers service had not been addressed fully. I think you have great techie guys but not very good customer service concepts or training (typical of all bookies or bankers I guess!). Once a customer has tried to initiate transferring his funds to your new platform from the old, it should not be for the customer to keep having to reinitiate that objective...your team if you dont want to lose customers should be proactively contacting your client base and offering to switch over positions and a balance that should prove sufficient to sustain them in the new account. All that being said, early impressions the platform looks good...but if your an old stick in the mud like me, you actually dont want to change from something you have got used to and that your happy with....regardless of the alleged improvements, you just want continuity and consistency. So at the very least if your booting your customer base off your old technology you should be holding the hands of your clients onto the new platform. Then if becuase its lacking instruments or they simply cannot get on with it and decide to leave CMC, at least it would not have been becuase of poor customer service. I fear that your own stats are misleading you...if someone as contented as me with the old platform(I have never even looked at new providers) feels a little dissapointed that we are being told the old platform is closing whilst at the same time not being provided a great deal of support in doing the switch, and that the switch lookslike it is going to restrict our betting opportunties, then you must have a lot of concerned clients at present? Either that or your just focusing all your customer service efforts on your big accounts? That would make sense I guess.

Also one other thing I noticed on the new platform...I cannot find a way to see the total daily percentage change on watchlist of items. That was critical for the crude way in which I trade. When you adjust the time frame down to 1 day it just shows nothing at all. Its alamost as if your starving us of basic information about the instrument we want to bet on.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

I started reading this thread from the beginning, got 40 pages or so in and stopped and skipped to the end. I was prompted to start doing some research on other SB platforms after I was told by email that the old platform was closing later this month. That finally prompted me to take a proper look at next gen. The first glaringly obvious problem was that the instruments I have finally started making a small amount of money on in the last year are not present (TSX, Japan Shares).Like I say thats how I found this forum, looking for a solution to my problem.

Then as I read this thread that you started, I was taken into the technical world of "execution, spreads and prices". Something came to my awareness whislt reading this. I often observe how different the prices where at any moment in time when comparing them to other market indicators, I never really have had an issue with this, I am just grateful that SB firms have innovated platforms that allow people to play on the markets in a realtively simple fashion. But then it dawned on me from reading this thread just how much better I might be doing if I was buying and selling on prices closer to market reality. I don't think it is possible for any spread betting firm to rationalise their competitive edges using any spreads headline or otherwise, if at the end of the day the system builds in such a margin for the SB firm in real time in relation to the market that the spread is academic, even a layman such as me can see this.

I want to use next generation but I am concerned the instruments I would like to play are not available so have just opened an IG account and an Interactive broker account. At present I havent switched my funds out of the old CMC account...I tried on the phone with CMC last week...it never happened. I have to say that aspect of CMC has always disspointed me...I have been to your offices before, for a free seminar or two, I could see then that the concept of customers service had not been addressed fully. I think you have great techie guys but not very good customer service concepts or training (typical of all bookies or bankers I guess!). Once a customer has tried to initiate transferring his funds to your new platform from the old, it should not be for the customer to keep having to reinitiate that objective...your team if you dont want to lose customers should be proactively contacting your client base and offering to switch over positions and a balance that should prove sufficient to sustain them in the new account. All that being said, early impressions the platform looks good...but if your an old stick in the mud like me, you actually dont want to change from something you have got used to and that your happy with....regardless of the alleged improvements, you just want continuity and consistency. So at the very least if your booting your customer base off your old technology you should be holding the hands of your clients onto the new platform. Then if becuase its lacking instruments or they simply cannot get on with it and decide to leave CMC, at least it would not have been becuase of poor customer service. I fear that your own stats are misleading you...if someone as contented as me with the old platform(I have never even looked at new providers) feels a little dissapointed that we are being told the old platform is closing whilst at the same time not being provided a great deal of support in doing the switch, and that the switch lookslike it is going to restrict our betting opportunties, then you must have a lot of concerned clients at present? Either that or your just focusing all your customer service efforts on your big accounts? That would make sense I guess.

Also one other thing I noticed on the new platform...I cannot find a way to see the total daily percentage change on watchlist of items. That was critical for the crude way in which I trade. When you adjust the time frame down to 1 day it just shows nothing at all. Its alamost as if your starving us of basic information about the instrument we want to bet on.

OK....I have just logged in to the new platform...now the 1day percentage change is visible....was this a glitch? Ive also just started looking at charts...they look great. OK Peter so what about the instruments, and transfer issues? Thats all thats stopping me getting on with it!

10 minutes later..... actually the watchlists still dont allow you to see daily percentage changes. If your trading style involves looking at a range of instruments in relation to each other, in any given moment....to help you make a decision about what to trade....this is not very helpful, will this be addressed? The watchlist window should have the same functionality as the product library window otherwise creating a watchlist is pointless, as it doesnt tell you anything...its just a bunch of flashing prices that bear no relation to anything.

Another 3 minutes later, as I was typing the "10 minutes later" add on to this post, both platforms old gen and new gen where open, yet for some reason the new gen "session timed out" even though I had been using it just a few seconds earlier...and the old one carried on going!!!

Quite clear you have some glitches here to sort out...I think your making a mistake shutting down the old platform later this month (as per the email I recieved last week from CMC) without A) Adding in all the instruments you had on the previous platform B) Addressing the issue with uninformative watchlists, C) Extebding charts back more than 4 years (alesser period than the old platform D)Taking your clients over the new platform in a smooth transition....its clear the new platform is not quite ready, but looks like it could be good.

Last edited:
..... actually the watchlists still dont allow you to see daily percentage changes. If your trading style involves looking at a range of instruments in relation to each other, in any given moment....to help you make a decision about what to trade....this is not very helpful, will this be addressed? The watchlist window should have the same functionality as the product library window otherwise creating a watchlist is pointless, as it doesnt tell you anything...its just a bunch of flashing prices that bear no relation to anything.

This has been mentioned before. Stick with it and you'll discover plenty more annoyances - but at least you like the charts!

This has been mentioned before. Stick with it and you'll discover plenty more annoyances - but at least you like the charts!

Hi Ross,

The threads become so long (180 pages nearly!) it takes hours to read through everything. These are just the items that immediately grabbed my attention.The watchlist issue is a serious impairment to the quality of tools available. I dont consider myself to be a professional spread better, in fact I would go as far as to say that I only found an interest in spread betting becuase I liked CMCs old platform...it seemed worth tinkering with, which I have done now for many years on and off, only the last 18 months have built my account consistantly. (Capital up 8 fold in less than 18 months from recollection! The next 8 fold increase would be nice! LOL)

I have to say though its great that PC has been willing to be on a forum, that speaks volumes to me, he can get a lot of stick yet he is still answering peoples questions and concerns.

Hi PMS

Thank you for taking the time to post your views as a live customer.
All trades are executed electronically with no dealer interventions. The system is set up to handle multiple orders through precision pricing and split second execution. There is no policy for scalpers the system handles all trades and does not read clients as a buyer or seller. Next gen prices are all calculated electronically and the system does not read clients as buyer or seller.

Glad you like the system. I think it is amazing too. Good luck with your trading.

peter
Hi Peter,

im a new customer from Germany and i have to say the new platform is AMAZING. It's a revolution and i feel like i have to delete all my other CFD accounts at flatex and IG etc...

Just one quick question since im too lazy to read the whole thread. How do you handle scalpers? Do you get higher spreads if you aggressively scalp or do you welcome scalpers?

Hi lance. Thought you said you were finished commenting on this site. seems you cannot stay away. go on you know you love next gen....:cheesy:
pc

LOL... you created an account on T2W just to tell us how amazing the platform is?
At least we have one person who likes it... WOW.... well done CMC.

Hi rufanuf

Many thanks for your two postings. They were very long but it is appreciated you took the time to add your comments.

Firstly, we are going to add new products in the next few weeks. We are just on the verge of launching our next gen cfd platforms. We have already gone live in Germany and soon to be Uk and then the rest of the World.

We have made lots of improvements to our customer service area. In fact we have a new programme that we think will be best in market and that is being implemented over the coming months.

In addition to this there is going to be a lot more functionality on the platform for clients. E.G electronic payments, improved charting, baskets to built your own portfolio, variable margins so you can net cash off against your position to pay net finance, fractional ownership of products so when you build your baskets you can do it by amounts not by shares etc. The new charts I think you will love. coming very soon.

If you look in the product library you can select products by volatility and performance. this should help. Also within charts you can select periods and look at the top of the chart you will see performance and volatility for the period selected.

Next gen is an experience that will happen over a period of time. Lots of more exciting things to come. thank you for taking the time to post your views. very much appreciated.
regards peter

OK....I have just logged in to the new platform...now the 1day percentage change is visible....was this a glitch? Ive also just started looking at charts...they look great. OK Peter so what about the instruments, and transfer issues? Thats all thats stopping me getting on with it!

10 minutes later..... actually the watchlists still dont allow you to see daily percentage changes. If your trading style involves looking at a range of instruments in relation to each other, in any given moment....to help you make a decision about what to trade....this is not very helpful, will this be addressed? The watchlist window should have the same functionality as the product library window otherwise creating a watchlist is pointless, as it doesnt tell you anything...its just a bunch of flashing prices that bear no relation to anything.

Another 3 minutes later, as I was typing the "10 minutes later" add on to this post, both platforms old gen and new gen where open, yet for some reason the new gen "session timed out" even though I had been using it just a few seconds earlier...and the old one carried on going!!!

Quite clear you have some glitches here to sort out...I think your making a mistake shutting down the old platform later this month (as per the email I recieved last week from CMC) without A) Adding in all the instruments you had on the previous platform B) Addressing the issue with uninformative watchlists, C) Extebding charts back more than 4 years (alesser period than the old platform D)Taking your clients over the new platform in a smooth transition....its clear the new platform is not quite ready, but looks like it could be good.

Hi rufanuf

Sorry I didnt really answer your question about old platform.
Next gen is bringing in three times more spread bet business than the old system did compared to a year ago. By far clients prefer next gen. I know there are some clients that love the old market maker platform and we have tried to keep this open as long as possible but unfortunately we have to move every body onto next gen. I hope you will stick with us and give next gen a try.

regards peter
Hi Ross,

The threads become so long (180 pages nearly!) it takes hours to read through everything. These are just the items that immediately grabbed my attention.The watchlist issue is a serious impairment to the quality of tools available. I dont consider myself to be a professional spread better, in fact I would go as far as to say that I only found an interest in spread betting becuase I liked CMCs old platform...it seemed worth tinkering with, which I have done now for many years on and off, only the last 18 months have built my account consistantly. (Capital up 8 fold in less than 18 months from recollection! The next 8 fold increase would be nice! LOL)

I have to say though its great that PC has been willing to be on a forum, that speaks volumes to me, he can get a lot of stick yet he is still answering peoples questions and concerns.

Hi rufanuf

Many thanks for your two postings. They were very long but it is appreciated you took the time to add your comments.

Firstly, we are going to add new products in the next few weeks. We are just on the verge of launching our next gen cfd platforms. We have already gone live in Germany and soon to be Uk and then the rest of the World.

We have made lots of improvements to our customer service area. In fact we have a new programme that we think will be best in market and that is being implemented over the coming months.

In addition to this there is going to be a lot more functionality on the platform for clients. E.G electronic payments, improved charting, baskets to built your own portfolio, variable margins so you can net cash off against your position to pay net finance, fractional ownership of products so when you build your baskets you can do it by amounts not by shares etc. The new charts I think you will love. coming very soon.

If you look in the product library you can select products by volatility and performance. this should help. Also within charts you can select periods and look at the top of the chart you will see performance and volatility for the period selected.

Next gen is an experience that will happen over a period of time. Lots of more exciting things to come. thank you for taking the time to post your views. very much appreciated.
regards peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks, so will the watchlist issue be addressed? At present it just seems the watchlist facility is no longer of any use, where as on the old platform it was the perfect way to follow a group of instruments and see how they are performing in relation to each other.

Hi Rufanuf

The best instrument for monitoring products against each other will be our basket/mixer which we will launch very very soon. We are days away from this. Initially this will be in our cfd next gen launch. You already have it in Germany.
This will allow you to select individual instruments and monitor their performance over a period of time, against each other and their performance against the markets. you will be able to have short instruments and long instruments.
It will be with you soon on next gen cfds. cannot say exactly as competitors monitor this site but dont take your holidays this week or you might miss something ha ha

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks, so will the watchlist issue be addressed? At present it just seems the watchlist facility is no longer of any use, where as on the old platform it was the perfect way to follow a group of instruments and see how they are performing in relation to each other.

Hi Peter,
I have been a member on this site for a long time but seldom post , I have and still have an account with yourselves (cmc) for nearly 10 years but have not used it for years as I have got more sophisticated and more automated over the years and gone on to use traditional futures brokers, I have only read the first 30 pages of this thread so am not sure if the question has been asked again , because i did not feel an answer to this question had been answered fully . What would bring me back to a spread betting firm as I believe the tax incentive is getting more major now(at least in my case ) is this ; if you allowed for an open API to communicate to part of your platform as is the case with all the major futures brokers out there now , this allows the software of my choice weather it be Ninja trader , Neoticker , or web based collective2 to communicate with yours , this could occur with simple html as is the case with collective2 to more advanced programming languages and interfaces . This obviously is for all those automated traders , I do realise this is not easy for you to do and that we are making a bet with a bookmaker and not the real underlying financial product but simple html buy and sell commands should be possible. The company who offers this first will be ahead of the others , as the investment community out there whether it be retail or profesional is getting more sophisticated and faster.

best regards,

tim

Im getting more disillusioned with CMC to be honest.
I managed to transfer some of my funds across the to new platform today and a couple of positions. The more I tinker with this platform the more I feel it looks great but does not provide anyway whatsoever to actually set up a collection of instruments to moniter and be able to view them easily. You cant even get all the windows to fit inside the browser pane...theres simply knowhere to put them! You cant scale any of the windows, your constantly clicking one that is behind another then you cant see the one that gets put behind!

Im baffled to be honest...so much time spent of aesthetics, little thought it appears into the actual practicalities of using the thing. Maybe Im just a stick in the mud, but to be honest, at this moment in time I am thinking the bland spreadsheet idea of IG is better but admittedly I have not used it yet.
For me at least...Im just think why couldnt you have left it alone? OK do some back end improvements if it makes you feel good or useful, but leave the thing that people work with as it was. I can see its going to take a long while for me to be comfortable with the new platform. Already opened a bigger stake than i intended on silver...although that was a misunderstanding as I assmued if golds stake had been moved the otherside of the Decimel point then so would silvers be but it was not, so I opened up an 80,000GBP siver position for a moments, rather hairy for a small fish!

I can see a lot of work has gone into this platform, but really to what end? It certainly has more of a casino feel about it so sure it will drag in a lot of punters.

Im getting more disillusioned with CMC to be honest.

Now there's a surprise...

I managed to transfer some of my funds across the to new platform today and a couple of positions. The more I tinker with this platform the more I feel it looks great but does not provide anyway whatsoever to actually set up a collection of instruments to moniter and be able to view them easily. You cant even get all the windows to fit inside the browser pane...theres simply knowhere to put them! You cant scale any of the windows, your constantly clicking one that is behind another then you cant see the one that gets put behind!

Im baffled to be honest...so much time spent of aesthetics, little thought it appears into the actual practicalities of using the thing. Maybe Im just a stick in the mud, but to be honest, at this moment in time I am thinking the bland spreadsheet idea of IG is better but admittedly I have not used it yet.
For me at least...Im just think why couldnt you have left it alone? OK do some back end improvements if it makes you feel good or useful, but leave the thing that people work with as it was. I can see its going to take a long while for me to be comfortable with the new platform. Already opened a bigger stake than i intended on silver...although that was a misunderstanding as I assmued if golds stake had been moved the otherside of the Decimel point then so would silvers be but it was not, so I opened up an 80,000GBP siver position for a moments, rather hairy for a small fish!

I can see a lot of work has gone into this platform, but really to what end? It certainly has more of a casino feel about it so sure it will drag in a lot of punters.

That's what PC keeps telling us, but how long do they stay?

That's what PC keeps telling us, but how long do they stay?

In addition I am afraid, constant unwarranted timeouts, and this message "set up failed, could not load price engine" and a number of others.

Through all these issues the old platform stayed stable, both open on the same computer.

You have some work to do on this I would say PC...like I say shutting down something that works for clients and replacing it with something that "barely" works cant be a good move surely? And this is from someone who has always been happy with CMC, no whinging about spreads, prices, execution etc! How on earth is going to function on mobile devices where wifi spots may have weak or poor internet connections I have no idea.

Another day on the new nex gen platform. Slowly starting to get a feel for it. Still get disconnects...I havent seen evidence that my spreads where reimbursed when I transferred positions from the old platform. I like the graphics, like many aspects of the platform except the most basic things that are annoying, like not veing able to have anything really open and in view, thats the biggest drawback with it, maybe I will get used to it....but not being to see all the instruments Im interested in on one screen is very diabilitating. Took a trade AUD/JPY long today...and again some figures make for confusion and once again I open a position 10 times bigger than intended. This was how I lost a lot of money in my early spread betting days...doesnt feel great going thru it again...CMC has had a good few quid off me in accidental trades just in the last 2 days!

Im now starting to feel it will be better in the long run....just have to get used some of the new features, the new position sizes....but the watchlist is a complete non feature at present theres no point in even having it as it currently functions

OK I'm impressed with the position keeping...am I right in assuming its going to run all positions in the same instruments profit and loss from the purchase point? Rather than average out the purchase price in row? If so thats a big improvement as it easy to see what entry points made or lost you money...I can see this platform is going to be good...but must sort out watchlists!

Status
Not open for further replies.