Best Thread CMC Markets owner answers your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Peter,

No mention of last night's score from Portman Road in your posts so far!

Benny

Hi Benny and the links

wondered when you would pop up to remind me for the score.
You know how to hurt a man. ha ha.
wait till we get them back at our place will slaughter them...... not

Thought Ipswich were superb and deserved their victory. but still think we will go through but it wont be easy

cheers pc

Morning Peter,

No mention of last night's score from Portman Road in your posts so far!

Benny

Good morning gle101

Not feeling great today my team were turned over by the mighty Ipswich Town when I was expecting a comforting 5 zero victory. Just shows what I know about footie diddly squat....

so what I mean by margin stop loss, is the following.
I just opened an up bet ticket on euro/dollar on my demo platform when the ticket was generated I put in £2 for the stake it then showed an automatic stop loss at 1.299760 or or £262.40.
The £262.40 is the amount of margin we need for a £2 up bet on the euro/dollar and this stop loss is placed automatically when you open the trade. I believe we are the only company that offers a stop loss based on the margin for each bet. There is also a profit take which is two times the margin requirement. so the profit take automatic limit order is at 1.339050 or £524.80.

I know other companies allow you to place different levels of stops but with us we calculate the margin for you automatically and place the stop for you with profit take as described above. all orders are tagged. The opening bet, the margin stop loss and the profit take. if the stop gets hit the limit is automatically cancelled. You can adjust stop loss and limit levels at any time during the whole process.

So my question is.
Do any other spread bet firms calculate a margin stop loss for you when you open a trade and place that stop loss along side the trade. I do not know of any other company that does this. do you. (you can switch the process off to allow one click trading and place manual, tagged stops and limits from position keeping window)

cheers pc
Really don't that much use of this feature. The important one is a user predefine stop loss and target in points on the market order ticket.

Peter, I repeat an earlier post for which I don't think I got an answer from you. Please give no "sermon", a short answer thanks.:)

What about network latency? You have instant execution, you do not re-quote, but can one get a price no longer valid message? Don't think I got an answer on slippage, can one get slipped without a gap in the market, I need a yes or no on this question.

Last edited:
Hi Peter
Have been following this post with interest and decided to give your demo platform a go. It seems very promising and its clear a lot of work has gone into it. Really very tempted to sign up but have just a few questions before I do.

Firstly can you give me an idea of what markets you will be adding in the near future? Particularly in the way of commodities and shares? What is the time scale for rolling out these new instruments?

Secondly do you plan to change the platform so it will save your chart preferences? For example at the moment if I open a chart and change it to candlestick and draw a few trendlines, will there be a way of saving this? At the moment this seems to be the platforms biggest downfall and its really annoying when you spend time making a chart just how you want it and all the work is lost when you shut it down.

And finally I saw you were intending to bring out an Ipad friendly platform/app. Can you tell me more about this? will it be the same as the Iphone app or will there be more functionality.

Thanks for your time

Hi Benny and the links

wondered when you would pop up to remind me for the score.
You know how to hurt a man. ha ha.
wait till we get them back at our place will slaughter them...... not

Thought Ipswich were superb and deserved their victory. but still think we will go through but it wont be easy

cheers pc

At least you get a second chance - we didn't against Stevenage!

Still smarting as they were much the better side! :eek:

Hi Peter,

I have 3 questions for you regarding your trading platform, I only trade currencies:

Can I hold simultaneous Long and Short positions on the same pair?

Is your company OK with scalping - I would define this as trades that generally last less than 2 minutes.

Does your platform offer 'tear off' tickets - these are floating tickets that can be placed outside the platform window, eg. on a second screen.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

I have spoken to one of your support guys and he confirms that I am not completely daft afterall!

On a one minute chart, say on the Euro, the chart will default to 3 hours. If one scrolls down to have a good look at the last 40 bars for example, the chart won't let you. It defaults to a 30 second chart. Really irritating.

Altering one's stoploss is fine on the chart, but if one is "trading" (by that I mean, in and out quickly) and one wants to be precise, it's almost impossible because the chart automatically alters the time frame. Your colleague is suggesting the change to your IT.

Another thing about the stoploss facility on the chart is that if you're in profit it shows "£0.00" if you are moving your "stoploss" into a profit area. I would like it to show what the positive position would be, please.

The site is attractive but at the moment it is not a day traders' site, IMHO. I have to concur with the other posters about the spreads. FX spreads are too wide for short term trading with the exception of the Euro/USD and USD/JPY possibly. If one is a "take a position and hold for a while" then the site is excellent.

I think you mentioned that windows may be able to be undocked to place elsewhere i.e. a second monitor. That is a must have feature, I feel.

All just my opinion ( you wanted feedback!) however as we all know opinions are the cheapest commodity on earth!

Last edited:
Peter, I repeat an earlier post for which I don't think I got an answer from you. Please give no "sermon", a short answer thanks.:)

What about network latency? You have instant execution, you do not re-quote, but can one get a price no longer valid message? Don't think I got an answer on slippage, can one get slipped without a gap in the market, I need a yes or no on this question.

Hi Gle101,

I have traded with IG for years - I believe they offer by far the best and most flexible platform - and the fairest prices.

I have though experienced (with IG) both problems you refer to, but these occurrences are very rare and on the few occasions it has happened I have accepted it as part and parcel of trading and I could see that the market was moving extremely fast.

Perhaps you can tell us if this happens with CMC often and if it happens when you feel it shouldn't.

Thank in advance....

Rather than worry about 'prettiness', I can't understand why IT depts don't just copy the look and functionality of a chart trading platform that people already use and like... NinjaTrader, ideally!

I agree - and when are they going to ask us what features we really need and then build them in....

IG must be the best and the most used broker (perhaps we could take a poll), but why has no one ever tried to better their platform - there are plenty of good charting packages around - it's the platforms which need improving. Does anyone really find it easier to trade off the chart rather than use a ticket?

Hi Peter,

I had a read through this thread last night and I found the comment which states you will be offering the FTSE 350 and some small caps.

I have opened a Demo Account and once of the stocks I wanted to add to my watchlist was Supergroup (SGP). Only because someone tipped it the day before it soared and I was curious to watch its performance.

I couldn't find it and I sent an email to your office asking why. They confirmed you offer 338 stocks from the 350.

I appreciate this is the large majority but why are some missing?

I was also told Small Caps are not available which I knew anyway, but you have stated you are looking to introduce some of these to your platform. I take it you still have plans to do so?

By the way, I take my hat off to you for putting yourself forward to deal with all sorts of questions good and bad.

You wont please everybody but it sure goes a long way towards building client trust in your business.

Best regards.

Hi Gle101,

I have traded with IG for years - I believe they offer by far the best and most flexible platform - and the fairest prices.

I have though experienced (with IG) both problems you refer to, but these occurrences are very rare and on the few occasions it has happened I have accepted it as part and parcel of trading and I could see that the market was moving extremely fast.

Perhaps you can tell us if this happens with CMC often and if it happens when you feel it shouldn't.

Thank in advance....
Yes you are absolutely right, a few re-quotes or price no longer valid is quite OK now and then. No I do not trade live with CMC next-gen, but when PC promise 100% re-quote free trading and instant execution. One wonders how they handle the execution during an extreme volatile market, especially when it comes to the release of important figures. Can they live up to it, without giving a price no longer valid message? This is why I asked about network latency as well. PC proclaim CMC to have the fastest price feed in the industry, so the question about execution and network latency is quite valid case. Their spread is not the best, but yet not bad either, so there is not much room to set a wide internal price deviation.

That's one reason why CMC should be offering some sort of 'free money' promotion to tempt new clients, IMO. The only way they'll find out how well next gen copes with news chaos will be when lots of punters are actually trading live. If people lose some of their free £200, or whatever, because the platform seizes up they won't be too bothered, but it would be a PR disaster otherwise.

well you have that with us plus the margin stop loss.
when are you going to open your account.
Not a question of whether you use the feature or not it is additional safety feature for clients when betting to help protect them during volatile times. the margin stop loss is calculated automatically and you can see your margin, profit take and calculate the downside and upside using points and money. just laying it on a platfor the spread bet community
tks pc

Really don't that much use of this feature. The important one is a user predefine stop loss and target in points on the market order ticket.

well you have that with us plus the margin stop loss.
when are you going to open your account.
Not a question of whether you use the feature or not it is additional safety feature for clients when betting to help protect them during volatile times. the margin stop loss is calculated automatically and you can see your margin, profit take and calculate the downside and upside using points and money. just laying it on a platfor the spread bet community
tks pc
Yes I agree, better than no stop all at all. But not that much to beat the drum for, there are far more important features that need to be implemented as suggested by many on this thread.

I rather not at this stage not open an live account. I will wait and see how you are progressing in the near future. Please read my post #364 and give clear short answers.

One wonders how they handle the execution during an extreme volatile market, especially when it comes to the release of important figures. Can they live up to it, without giving a price no longer valid message?
Why do not you just open an execution policy document and see it for yourself?
http://www.cmcmarkets.co.uk/Content/Documents/sb/execution-policy.pdf
Page 2
The Platform will execute a Market Order to sell at the first available Sell Price, and a Market Order to buy at the first available Buy Price, and will do so as soon as possible after the Order is accepted. The Price at which the Order will be executed may be less favourable to you than the Price you see on the Platform when you place the Order (due to market movements between the time you confirm your Order and the time the Platform executes your Order).

Pretty clear, is it not?

Hi Jesteruk
Thanks for your blog and will answer your questions as follows.
1. We will be releasing most of the normal market shares so you can trade down to most markets. sorry do not have the comprehensive list but should be enough there for most. Also we will be releasing a lot more currency pairs and a lot more indices. We think more than any other spread bet provider on forex and indices and commodities.
2. Regarding charts, yes we will be releasing soon, in next four weeks facility to save charts with additional tabs but in the meantime if you keep the chart studies as you have done them, and do not close the chart but keep it open. when you log back in the chart will be saved as you left it. it is when you actually close the chart window that you lose the data. You can in effect keep lots of charts open, over lay them to quote screen and then click on them as required. I know not ideal and not good enough but it will come I promise. Just remember do not close chart window, leave them running and log out of system and they will be there when you log back in.
3. ipad version I am looking at now. it looks awesome. we actually planned to launch it this week but the design team wanted to make it even sexier. also we have some new deal tickets coming out for next gen cfds and they wanted to put them on the ipad as well so will be in next month.

Many thanks for your blog. very much appreciated.
regards Peter

Hi Peter
Have been following this post with interest and decided to give your demo platform a go. It seems very promising and its clear a lot of work has gone into it. Really very tempted to sign up but have just a few questions before I do.

Firstly can you give me an idea of what markets you will be adding in the near future? Particularly in the way of commodities and shares? What is the time scale for rolling out these new instruments?

Secondly do you plan to change the platform so it will save your chart preferences? For example at the moment if I open a chart and change it to candlestick and draw a few trendlines, will there be a way of saving this? At the moment this seems to be the platforms biggest downfall and its really annoying when you spend time making a chart just how you want it and all the work is lost when you shut it down.

And finally I saw you were intending to bring out an Ipad friendly platform/app. Can you tell me more about this? will it be the same as the Iphone app or will there be more functionality.

Thanks for your time

Hi Gle101
Yes sorry I forgot about this point. I promise you i am not trying to avoid the question I have just been busy and missed the point on my earlier blog.

So how can I answer this without long sermon.
Firstly there is no latency in our system this end. but the issue is what if there is latency between our system and the end user. so there are generally three types of orders.
market, stop, limit.

If there is latency your end on say iphone, you enter the bet and you get the market price at the time the bet is received by us. it is market order so gets executed at the market price when we receive the bet. it may be better or worst then the price you want but remember it is fully automatic our end and we have no control over the latency you might experience. this is the internet or iphone and is outside of our control. If you want to be sure of certain price enter limit order. if you enter stop or limit then it is worked the moment we receive it. there are no ticket time outs, not fill or kill and no ticket rejection.

In this world of head line spreads and fill and kill we offer execution every time and no ticket time out and no dealer referrals. Our system has been built by top engineers that were involved with the Goldmans ready system. they work for us now. It can cope with thousands of prices and bets per second so there is no capacity issues our end. our investment is to expand this business exponentially and we have the systems to do that. yes there might be latency your end but that is net work issue. our system can cope with very volatile periods. just ping the bets through and they get processed.

Sorry about long reply hope that helps
Peter

your end between connections b

Status
Not open for further replies.