Best Thread CMC Markets owner answers your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter,

thanks for taking the time to answer questions (and do some promotion). I don't have a strong opinion about CMC but do appreciate the fact that you're giving your time to this thread.
I currently use IG (because I thought it the best option when I opened the account) and am not unhappy with their product but always aim to keep an open mind so will have a look at your new platform.

Chris

Dear Cristiano
Many thanks for your blog. to try out our new platform just open a demo account with password and email address. we will not ask for more as we want to you to try the system without pressure.
if you have any problems let me know.
good to see we have Real Madrid footballer wanting to use our platform ha ha
best wishes Peter :)
Peter,

thanks for taking the time to answer questions (and do some promotion). I don't have a strong opinion about CMC but do appreciate the fact that you're giving your time to this thread.
I currently use IG (because I thought it the best option when I opened the account) and am not unhappy with their product but always aim to keep an open mind so will have a look at your new platform.

Chris

Peter, what you've done is not normal behaviour. You've launched your application cold on a fresh machine, right?

This is normal behaviour:
-fire up your platform
-load up youtube and play some music in the background, click on a few videos and let them play your favourite tunes (use a playlist if possible)
-load a few charts
-take some trades
-close it down (because your trader went for out for a pint at lunch)
-fire it up again
-now load up youtube
-play a few more music videos
-load up some charts
-take a trade or two
-browse Betfair to see the odds on tonight's games
-play some more music videos
-play http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
-browse your charts
-take another trade

How is your old PC doing? That hard disk should be working overtime by now. Flash is hateful.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/29/steve-jobs-publishes-some-thoughts-on-flash-many-many-thou/

That's odd -- I have relatively prehistoric computers and find that Flash applications usually work better than Java.

Who is talking about Java? I currently use IG Index (what do they use?) and MT4. TBH neither are pretty but both are quick enough for a whinge-bag like me.

Last edited:
PC the platform looks good..but what about support for NON iphones?
That's one reason I use CMC...now thinking rather than having to buy a new phone may be easier to change to City Index..(iphone, blackberry, java)

I've been trying the new SB platform. I like it. It's fast and reliable even on my old PC. I have a few requests.

1) Can we have a default position size setting per instrument? This will save a few clicks per trade.
2) When averaged in to a position, I'd like to be able to set an OCO stop/limit for the net position. Currently you have to set this per entry and you can't set the take profit at less than zero, which is an unnecessary limitation.
3) The screen layout is a bit of a mess. You have stuff stuck in all 4 corners limiting the usable space quite a bit. Put it all at the top or the bottom please.

Hi Shadowninja

This is far too technical for a 57 year old so I will pass onto my techie blokes and get back to you.
tks Peter
Peter, what you've done is not normal behaviour. You've launched your application cold on a fresh machine, right?

-fire up your platform
-load up youtube and play some music in the background, click on a few videos and let them play your favourite tunes (use a playlist if possible)
-load a few charts
-take some trades
-fire it up again
-now load up youtube
-load up some charts
-take a trade or two
-browse your charts
-take another trade

How is your old PC doing? That hard disk should be working overtime by now. Flash is hateful.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/29/steve-jobs-publishes-some-thoughts-on-flash-many-many-thou/

Who is talking about Java? I currently use IG Index (what do they use?) and MT4. TBH neither are pretty but both are quick enough for a whinge-bag like me.

Hi Catraco
well we have beautiful iphones app and once we launch ipad app in January will be awesome. There is more to come but cannot tell you when we will have non iphone app
but will be first quarter next year.
tks peter
PC the platform looks good..but what about support for NON iphones?
That's one reason I use CMC...now thinking rather than having to buy a new phone may be easier to change to City Index..(iphone, blackberry, java)

Hi timm
thanks for your questions. lets try to answer them.
1. good idea will pass that on and get back to you.
2. I actually asked the team to include this in releases for January. it is good idea and we should have it early next year. Understand you want to place stops, profits around your average position.
3. will pass this on but they are already building tabs so you can have multiple screens and arrange things better.
hope that helps glad you like the platform. have to say I love it.
cheers peter
I've been trying the new SB platform. I like it. It's fast and reliable even on my old PC. I have a few requests.

1) Can we have a default position size setting per instrument? This will save a few clicks per trade.
2) When averaged in to a position, I'd like to be able to set an OCO stop/limit for the net position. Currently you have to set this per entry and you can't set the take profit at less than zero, which is an unnecessary limitation.
3) The screen layout is a bit of a mess. You have stuff stuck in all 4 corners limiting the usable space quite a bit. Put it all at the top or the bottom please.

Hi Shadowninja.

When we looked at the PC and tested flash flex the machine was running many applications so this was neither a fresh machine nor was it idle.

I accept that customers may be running multiple applications as described by you, the number that they run and the capability of their machine to do this is outside of our control.

In essence, my view is that we have a modern industry leading application that delivers a rich feature set. This is demanded by the majority of our clients and capacity issues are important but not primary. Content and functionality are the key drivers for our clients, including real time charting, pricing, content etc.

overall we have to respond to what clients want and the response we have had has been very encouraging with a big increase in account applications.
Sorry if our next gen platform doesnt meet your needs
best regards peter

-fire up your platform
-load a few charts
-take some trades
-fire it up again
-now load up youtube
-load up some charts
-take a trade or two
-browse your charts
-take another trade

Hi Shadowninja.

When we looked at the PC and tested flash flex the machine was running many applications so this was neither a fresh machine nor was it idle.

I accept that customers may be running multiple applications as described by you, the number that they run and the capability of their machine to do this is outside of our control.

In essence, my view is that we have a modern industry leading application that delivers a rich feature set. This is demanded by the majority of our clients and capacity issues are important but not primary. Content and functionality are the key drivers for our clients, including real time charting, pricing, content etc.

overall we have to respond to what clients want and the response we have had has been very encouraging with a big increase in account applications.
Sorry if our next gen platform doesnt meet your needs
best regards peter

It's not so much running multiple applications but multiple instances of Flash. While I'm trading, I'm not just running trading software. I'll be surfing the web, running Flash streaming music sites, viewing YouTube videos etc. One issue I have when dabbling on Betfair is that Betfair is Flash-crazy. If you view too many matches, my computer starts swapping like mad. Fortunately, I now use A Geek's Toy (think DMA ladder for betting exchanges) and this means I need to view far fewer Betfair pages. If you read that article in my previous post, you will see that Steve Jobs doesn't like Flash, either. In fact, he states that the main reason Macs crash is because of Flash.

Anyway, I hope my post is of use to you.

It's not so much running multiple applications but multiple instances of Flash. While I'm trading, I'm not just running trading software. I'll be surfing the web, running Flash streaming music sites, viewing YouTube videos etc. One issue I have when dabbling on Betfair is that Betfair is Flash-crazy. If you view too many matches, my computer starts swapping like mad. Fortunately, I now use A Geek's Toy (think DMA ladder for betting exchanges) and this means I need to view far fewer Betfair pages. If you read that article in my previous post, you will see that Steve Jobs doesn't like Flash, either. In fact, he states that the main reason Macs crash is because of Flash.

Anyway, I hope my post is of use to you.

Back in ye olde days of the 20th Century, this might have been an issue, but I don't see the problem when you can get as many perfectly functional computers as you want for fifty quid from a car boot sale.

HI Kalott

You already get automated execution on next gen spread bet platform on precision pricing. Next gen cfds coming in January.
cheers peter

What some of us really want is to be able to use a robust platform of our own choosing such as NinjaTrader 7. Is there a particular reason why CMC would not provide an option to use NinjaTrader?

Yes, CMC's platform was grindingly slow. At least the next gen seems to work properly, even if it's half-finished.
Have you tried ETX's advanced charts? Great when they work! GFT's also good (if you don't try to trade with them).

It really baffles me why a spread-betting company would bother to go through the hassle and expense of developing a trading platform when all they need to do is provide an API / interface to their back-end for a popular trading platform such as NinjaTrader to connect to. The platform provided by CMC is more like a toy with bling in comparison. Why is there not a single Spreadbetting firm which has the sense to support NinjaTrader, yet there are nearly fifty regular brokers that do?

Last edited:
It really baffles me why a spread-betting company would bother to go through the hassle and expense of developing a trading platform when all they need to do is provide an API / interface to their back-end for a popular trading platform such as NinjaTrader to connect to. The platform provided by CMC is more like a toy with bling in comparison. Why is there not a single Spreadbetting firm which has the sense to support NinjaTrader, yet there are nearly fifty regular brokers that do?

As an example I wonder how and why dbfx arrived at their decision to use fxcm's platform as opposed to developing their own? Was it cost, convenience, I suspect it's partly due to fxcm using Deutsche Bank (Autobahn?) as their funder.

For us simple retail traders (IMHO) overall PRT can't be beaten, surprised brokers/sb firms (if they want to stamp their own ID on charts etc) just don't get PRT to white label it for them..

Status
Not open for further replies.