Cityindex 1 point spread on the Dow

I usually trade well under £10 and can't remember the last time a trade did noy go straight through.
Yes, apparently they are a company to be taken serious. They have also kept the 1 point spread on the Dow much longer than I anticipated, this is quite a strong argument for signing up with them.

Must say lately behaving properly.

In my experience the vast majority of the time the platform is steady and you get instant fills at the price quoted.

I mean at 1 point dow and ftse spread with my type of trading the spread now is no longer an issue just need to get my trading sorted!!!!!

I also really like the platform setting and adjusting limits/stops is a breeze.

Dont sign with them. 1 point spred is when market is open but 4 points during futures tading. Platform is prone tocrashing and very ling delays in orders being placed.

I have used it for months and got increasingly frustrate with the lack of support and constant freezing and delays of the platforms.

Much better choices out there

Dont sign with them. 1 point spred is when market is open but 4 points during futures tading. Platform is prone tocrashing and very ling delays in orders being placed.

I have used it for months and got increasingly frustrate with the lack of support and constant freezing and delays of the platforms.

Much better choices out there
I did sign up with cityindex a week ago. Yes they have well known issues with the platform. I knew that when signing up. Delays in execution I only had one, probably due to some technical problem, we'll see how they execute in the long run. As you mentioned they restricted open hours for the futures to US market open hours (you should have known that when signing up). Despite all this Cityindex is one of the best deals around. It is hard to beat trading the Dow future for just 1 point spread I would say.

I notice that Cityindex right now (off hours US) have 1 point spread on the Dow daily future Friday. If this is of a temporary nature I don't know.

Last edited:
The 1 point spread is only when Wall St is open and for about half hour after it shuts. Same as most others. Once it closes for en of technical trading it reverts back to a 4 point spread. Does same with ASX.

Pretty sure CMC or IG platforms have 1 point duing trading hours.

Its the cosntant delays in processing orders which make it almost impossible to hedge trades. This is where I lost out.

Maybe a good platform for basic trades and is simple to operate, but for hedging orders it is terrible and costly.

I did sign up with cityindex a week ago. Yes they have well known issues with the platform. I knew that when signing up. Delays in execution I only had one, probably due to some technical problem, we'll see how they execute in the long run. As you mentioned they restricted open hours for the futures to US market open hours (you should have known that when signing up). Despite all this Cityindex is one of the best deals around. It is hard to beat trading the Dow future for just 1 point spread I would say.

I'm with their other company, Finspreads, who filled my manual close order for Footsie, just after 1330, today, within seconds, making me 42 points. I'm very pleased.

I'm with their other company, Finspreads, who filled my manual close order for Footsie, just after 1330, today, within seconds, making me 42 points. I'm very pleased.

Me too. Only very occasional 'price moved' rejected trades, but that seems fair enough. No sign of them only filling if the price immediately goes against the client, which is what I expected.

Just downloaded their new city index trading app for the iphone with charts.

Charts are best I have seen on a mobile.

Hats off for Cityindex. If you trade the Dow there is no need (besides hedging) to go elsewhere. Reliable execution so far and stable platform. How they can manage with 1 point spread on the Dow is beyond my understanding (probably goes for the rest of the industry as well), but apparently they found a way around it.

I found out the platform connection to be very sensitive, and can easily be disconnected if other work is done on the same computer. With larger stakes one should consider trading on a stand alone computer just for Cityindex. Also, very important, Cityindex should consider implementing a user predefine stop loss feature in points on market orders.

Last edited:
Finspreads recently reduced the spreads on many of their Forex pairings, not sure whether this was the case with stocks etc. I've only recently opened an account with them so i got in touch with my advisor and he was saying that this was just to be more competitive. So it's for the foreseeable future anyway.

Hmmm. Glad that it is working for you gle101. No idea why it has been causing a few of us problems, and of the other 3 I know of we all have been using PC rather that remote etc. Either way you should not need a standalone computer to operate their platform.

It does seem stratnge that te elondon tech support conceded that it has crashed 2 days on a row and the reason there was no answer fromn them was due to complaints. (We get transfered automatically to the UK after hour here in Australia).

I love their platform and have not found one as simple and easier to use, but due to the problems in the past just cant trust it.

I agree with the Dow spread but it is only 1 point when the Dow is open and is 4 points in the futures.

Unless you are on some different City Index platform I dont know.

I am based in Australia so use it through CWA Global Markets. Maybe there is a variation, but seems strange to have different platforms. If there is then would love to know as the CMC and IG ones I am looking at as alternatives have 2 point Dow and although some of their preads are more coompetitive I play the Dow a lot, so would love to go back to City Index just not as it stands now.

Hmmm. Glad that it is working for you gle101. No idea why it has been causing a few of us problems, and of the other 3 I know of we all have been using PC rather that remote etc. Either way you should not need a standalone computer to operate their platform.

It does seem stratnge that te elondon tech support conceded that it has crashed 2 days on a row and the reason there was no answer fromn them was due to complaints. (We get transfered automatically to the UK after hour here in Australia).

I love their platform and have not found one as simple and easier to use, but due to the problems in the past just cant trust it.

I agree with the Dow spread but it is only 1 point when the Dow is open and is 4 points in the futures.

Unless you are on some different City Index platform I dont know.

I am based in Australia so use it through CWA Global Markets. Maybe there is a variation, but seems strange to have different platforms. If there is then would love to know as the CMC and IG ones I am looking at as alternatives have 2 point Dow and although some of their preads are more coompetitive I play the Dow a lot, so would love to go back to City Index just not as it stands now.
I take it for granted you are not using a wireless connection (I have a 100Mbits download and 10Mbits upload connection). The site went down the other day in the morning, has not caused me any problem though, as I have several SB up and running, this, just in case I need to hedge urgently. Short interruptions, might be helped by checking out your local computer. Cityindex have 1 point spread on the Dow future though (US open hours), not 4 point spread as mentioned by you (Cityindex.co.uk).

Yes Australia, nice country wonderful people, spent 4 years there in my youth.:)

Last edited:
I know city index have a 1 pint spread on open hours. Thats what I wrote! But when the Dow is closed its a 4 point spread.

Beause of the time difference I usuallytrade futures on the Dow. On their platform it clearly states the spreads as:

08:30:00 - 15:29:59 (GMT-6) 1 points
15:30:00 - 08:29:59 (GMT-6) 4 points

As for the inernet connection I have ADSL2 and its not a connection problem. We (and by we I mean other customers that I know use the platform and had similar probmes) have allexperiecnced similar issues and also been advised that others have by CWA.

As I mentioned vefore, if you are hveing success on it then good for you. I have no grievances but just be aware that it is prone to problems, that I have not had with other platforms. CWA / City Index have admitted they have had problems and have had to refund and complensate for a LOT of customersd trading failures due to platform malfunction. Trouble is, somethimes it is not possible to prove a system failure and thereby receive compensation. They say they are working on it and I hope they fix it.

I personally will not use them again, and I hope you dont have similar issues. I just want to find someone who can offer a stable platform with ocmpetitive spreads. So far the best I can find is CMC and IG markets, but am hoping to get some advice on this forum, but I think this subject really should be on another thread if this is going to continue

I know city index have a 1 pint spread on open hours. Thats what I wrote! But when the Dow is closed its a 4 point spread.

Beause of the time difference I usuallytrade futures on the Dow. On their platform it clearly states the spreads as:

08:30:00 - 15:29:59 (GMT-6) 1 points
15:30:00 - 08:29:59 (GMT-6) 4 points

As for the inernet connection I have ADSL2 and its not a connection problem. We (and by we I mean other customers that I know use the platform and had similar probmes) have allexperiecnced similar issues and also been advised that others have by CWA.

As I mentioned vefore, if you are hveing success on it then good for you. I have no grievances but just be aware that it is prone to problems, that I have not had with other platforms. CWA / City Index have admitted they have had problems and have had to refund and complensate for a LOT of customersd trading failures due to platform malfunction. Trouble is, somethimes it is not possible to prove a system failure and thereby receive compensation. They say they are working on it and I hope they fix it.

I personally will not use them again, and I hope you dont have similar issues. I just want to find someone who can offer a stable platform with ocmpetitive spreads. So far the best I can find is CMC and IG markets, but am hoping to get some advice on this forum, but I think this subject really should be on another thread if this is going to continue
I misunderstood your post, you stated that the futures was 4 points even during US open hours, "I agree with the Dow spread but it is only 1 point when the Dow is open and is 4 points in the futures." But correct, the Dow future is 4 point US stock market off hours, but 1 point during US stock market open hours.

There is not such thing as a secure broker, one must have alternative setups if one or the other goes down.