Chart Colors...

Skog

... or maybe the title should be "Chart Colours" since this is a british forum...

There was a thread on ET a few months back where they discussed different color settings on their charts. You may think that it doesn't matter what colors you chose your charts to wear, but you'd be amazed by how much it really does.

I haven't seen any studies by anyone about this so I have no scientific proof to back me on my statement, but by personal experiences I've noticed that whenever I feel that trading is getting boring, the same old screen, the same old setups, the same old losses :cheesy: , I toy around with the color settings on my charting software. As soon as I find a combination of colors that makes me comfortable in front of the screen again I use these until I get bored of them.

Anybody else do this?

Sharing your charts would help others find interesting color combinations.

-Skog

(P.S Just because I find the choice of colors on my charts important doesn't make me a fairy :cool: )

Attachments

• SNAG-0000.jpg
    SNAG-0000.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 450
The problem with colour is that it has a subliminal effect on mood and perception. Different colours are apt to subconsciously and subliminally induce moods. The artist Kandinsky made a very detailed study of this, and his findings are very pertinent to anyone who is required to work in environments involving colour, because of the risks that the wrong array of colours can generate. Also the use of light is very important, thus for example persisting in using charts in which the background is retained white is very straining to the eyes when being "on watch" for long periods when monitoring a trade on when on "ambush detail" waiting to pounce.

I don't like white or black background for charts and prefer a pale blue shade and then red and blue for the up and down candles/bars.
But I like black backgrounds for prices with red/blue/yellow/green for the actual prices. Green for news and writing/epics etc.
I don't like to change them. I trade long and short the same shares/indices and find that a more effective method of staying detached.

My daughter helped select the color scheme for my back testing equity charts, which might explain why it is pink lines on a black background.

My price charts also have a black background, but uses line colors a touch less fluorescent than pink. They are still quite bright. I am a swing trader that doesn't need to look at charts extensively throughout the day. Thus, my choices are more based on aesthetics than functionality.

I agree, though, it is refreshing to occasionally shake up the color scheme.

Hi Skog
that's an interesting post,when I first got Metastock I was always playing around with the colours.
I have kept the default white background,but as already mentioned it can be hard on the eyes looking at all those charts.
I am now off to try something a little more soothing on the eyes,thank's for reminding me.

Hello all
I'll agree color is an important part of your visual input. Consider eating mashed potatoes
that are a moldy green color... or maybe steak that is still all pink colored and you only like yours a very well done deep brown.. or maybe coal black bread... I can't believe that the human brain can divorce its self from color when looking at a stock chart anymore than it can ignore the color of the food your eating.
For the market: Red is bad. Green is good etc.. etc..?? Maybe?
I color all volume bars grey and all price bars red. That forces me to look at the price and volume action 'in detail' for clues to possible future movement... without a color bias..
cheers agpilot

Ps: Yes, a bright white background is hard on your multi million dollar eyes.

Last edited:
All my screens have permanently black backgrounds. All chart data is in yellow. If you work in mildly subdued light, I have found since 8 years ago that this is the best combination because it does not strain the eyes and can be seen clearly from a few feet away at a glance if you have to divert your attention elsewhere temporarily.

If you ask any navigator who works with radar he will confirm this. If you are navigating on the bridge of a ship at night you want the lighting in the bridge very subdued, because this increases the ability of the eye to see more clearly every detail. Bright lights for continuous observation work is blinding, and potentially stressful. The same applies for aircraft. Submarines I am not sure, I think, unless someone corrects this, that they prefer red light.

SOCRATES said:
All my screens have permanently black backgrounds. All chart data is in yellow. If you work in mildly subdued light, I have found since 8 years ago that this is the best combination because it does not strain the eyes and can be seen clearly from a few feet away at a glance if you have to divert your attention elsewhere temporarily.

If you ask any navigator who works with radar he will confirm this. If you are navigating on the bridge of a ship at night you want the lighting in the bridge very subdued, because this increases the ability of the eye to see more clearly every detail. Bright lights for continuous observation work is blinding, and potentially stressful. The same applies for aircraft. Submarines I am not sure, I think, unless someone corrects this, that they prefer red light.

Nice post Socrates. My chart software doesn't allow me to change the background color on my charts. It's standard white. Maybe something to suggest to the developers...

It makes sense, the way you compare it to radar screens.

I also found a website that has some info on Kandinskys works with colour.

http://evertrobles.com/ezine4.002.html

-Skog

Kandinski's work is very important and relevant because to a very great extent the input we recieve is visual. Therefore it is the visual we must concentrate on. If all of this were about fragrances we would sharpen our noses if it were audial we would sharpen our ears but as it is visual it is our eyes we have to sharpen and what is most important how we look at what we see, whilst we are carefully and diligently observing events as they unfold.

Guys,

This is an interesting thread with thoughtful input. And without the usual stupid remarks (so far) when a subject is less expected or conventional.

From what I have read elsewhere, colour can affect one's mood in subtle ways. I've recently read a book by Tony Buzan - this is nothing to do with trading - called "Embracing Change", which is to do with the construction of what he calls "mind maps" for helping one achieve various goals in life. Here's a quote:

"Colour stimulates the brain and will activate creativity and visual memory."

That is absolutely right Beach Runner. Colour plays a very important part as a contribution to creative input. But it is a double edged sword. For trading purposes, one edge is blunt and the other very sharp.

We need to choose the blunt edge. This is because the sharp edge allows colour to induce mood.
Induction of mood incurs or risks the incurrence of emotion. Emotion has no place in trading.

The moment I see a chart posted plastered with bright colours and lines and other harnesses on a bright background I know instantly that the poster is inexperienced or ineffective. This is because this kind of combination is very stimulating. This is exactly what has to be avoided, at all cost.

To be stimulated or to allow himself to be stimulated in this way, and it is very subliminal and subtle is a risk that the accomplished trader cannot afford. I tell you that as a result of my experience and research, which are considerable, spanning many years.

Colour

Just for a bit of a distraction I thought I would keep tabs on the colour of the clothes worn by the presenters of a notable satelite business channel. ( ties for the men and outer tops for the girls). Taking the blue end of the spectrum as up and the red end as down I was hoping there might be some conscious or sub conscious way they might be indicating the end of day result as compared to the close of the last trading day.
Of the 5 main presenters one has had 100% correct record for March 2005
one 66%
one 83%
one 75%
one 33%
Strange or what !!

Hmm heightend emotional state... i wonder if this is why D4F's default chart colors are Red on White background. Always made me twitchy.

You see how naughty they are to do these things to stimulate people subliminally. Some of you might think it's a joke here. You are assured it is not. Ask anyone worth his salt in packaging design or marketing or similar, and see what answer you get, would be interesting....

Socrates,
Yes, lots of bright colours on a chart would seem inappropriate and distracting. Although it is slightly off the subject of charts: if colour has an effect on the emotions (and I am one that believes it does in a small way), then the colour of the trading room would seem to have a subtle effect on the emotions of the trader/s? Would one be less emotional and more able to concentrate in a neutral environment? I tend to think so. Anyone think this is ludicrous?

SvenFoster,
I've read that the combination of red on white is often viewed negatively - because of the unconscious association of blood on skin (injured!). Although this could also be viewed in a racist sense. I think I'd better stop now as I seem to be going off the point of this interesting and unusual thread.

Yes, that is why in mine, which is purpose built, the walls are lined from top to bottom with green baize. Green is a very relaxing colour, that is why for example you frequently find it in Hospitals and Clinics. Perhaps this is why surgeons gowns are green too. Think about it. Think about the alternative of how you would feel if your trading environment was decorated with screaming pinks, yellows, orange, scarlet and purple. Drive you mad, wouldn't it ?

I think it is worth pointing out that a lot of people have some form of colour vision deficiency and I think we all seem to see colours quite differently. I don't like white backgrounds on charts and garish colours but for some people they will be ideal.

This website seems a bit slow but illustrates how some people see colours differently:-
http://colorvisiontesting.com/what colorblind people see.htm

Socrates wrote:
Think about the alternative of how you would feel if your trading environment was decorated with screaming pinks, yellows, orange, scarlet and purple. Drive you mad, wouldn't it ?
Agreed!

Last edited:
You see, this is not all. You have to create a trading environmnt that is condusive to calm, in every repect.
Colour is crucial to this, because if you consider it carefully, what we do is visual. We cannot allow ouselves to become uncomfortable or nervous or excited as a result of the wrong visual input. The markets provide enough of this already without having to cope with extra difficulties. I am being called.
Must go.