Chance of a big loss

Well I was gonna say force majeure, but that excludes both parties, so I assume bets would be null and void.?

But it includes war etc, riots, nature, LOL so could'nt a punter claim FM if something kicks off and goes against his position ? Or is force majeure only applicable if a frenchman declares it ?

I mean say Israel strikes Iran sometime after thanksgiving weekend but before chrimbo, and The Oil spikes $50 dollar higher and say punter was short , all he has to do is get on the blower and proclaim," huoh-e houh- e- houh force majeure !" somehow it dont work like that, but why not.. Who claims/states FM ?

thank you.

Hey guys, I'm currently using a demo SB account with Paddy Power and plan on doing so for a long while yet to gain experience etc etc.

I understand there is no definitive answer for this question,and obviously experience will teach me but as a rough guide what are the chances of being caught out to the point of no return? When I feel I'm ready to play the market with real money I'll most likely put something in £2000 or so. Now lets say I place a stop loss that will limit my maximum loss on a given bet to £200. What are the chances of the stop loss being missed (for whatever reason i.e natural disaster) and me ending up paying £3000-4000 in losses. I know you guys cant predict natural disasters (although if you can, please pm (y)) but from your experience, how often does this type of situation occur? (Based on higher profile companies for arguments sake i.e Glaxo, Google etc)

Many thanks

Try these out , executions/spreads are good, they have basic charts from 5 seconds up, but a solid service, free demo's and flexi lot size . They offer drag and drop digital box options too (not used that ). Good forum too

Demo Practice Forex Trading with FXGame | OANDA FXTrade

Main OANDA, The Currency Site: Foreign Exchange Services and Trading

Forum Forex Forums - OANDA FXTrade.com

The charts might be ok for you just depends what bells and whistles you want (if not just use your favourate chart service and push orders through Oanda), if you fund an account set up a standing order option instead of Wire transfer, that way your bank will not charge you .

Crasho if fx these are ok to learn on, posted that on another thread. taxable mind, but important you get execution when you need it, rather than scrambling about with requotes and other nasties, you dont need those headaches when all you want to do is clcik, see your confirmation straight away......

Ohh You can set your leverage to 10-1 to 50-1, Bookies crankk you up to 400/500-1 , too big mate when you dont know what you doing, so best off start on the 10-1, Even stay on it for a year or so..... you know what I mean. 24 hrs on fx so even if you IT guys are trying to do it pt then you will get access continuous exposure to a chart.

might be ok for you.

Last edited:
Well I'm loving IG right now, only a few trades so far FTSE £2 point but I'm in and out in half a second, it's instant. Ok you say they may start playing games if I ever reach £50 point but I can always leave! Just never had this kind of speed in execution with Cms Forex, Alpari or iii who are a white label for City Index or Finspreads.

Happy for now!

You're wrong about Alpari. They're not associated with City Index or Finspreads.

agree with ig. But for rookies the leverage (i feel) should be low. so i dont know what mini IG will let you trade on, Likely the rookie will get battered in the first year or so and at crazy leverage its not doin you any favors. unless you like being a twitchy trader playing pass the parcel with a hand granade,pinned pulled like in The Oil market.

Trouble with, two troubles I find with IG is:
1/ The charts don't match the price exactly; the chart seems slightly delayed which can be a bit of a pain [bandwidth??],
and secondly & more annoyingly I can not get volume to display on the charts simple or advanced. I know when I was paper trading I used volume a lot...maybe it's too good an indicator so they disabled it!!?

Sat all day as the FTSE rises then drops over 100+ fairly smooth pts, not wanting to give it my 10 pence worth. I'm really surprised that a small player like me can effect the market, but that's what happens every time I place a bet! Even saw the double 'evening stars' at 13:04/5 before the big slide

Yeah nick although i think ig will say you are getting a chart of our indicative quote which is based on the underlying but at times may not reflect it AND the quote will reflect price changes quicker than the indicative charts anyhow millisecs ??? depending on strat, I dont trade often so I'm waiting eyeball the chart then I switched to watching the quote preying they knock it down if i want to go long.

Volume again they will say we dont do volume of our quotes I expect. You might need to stump up a few quid with a package if you need the volumes....

watch one market day in day out for 6-12 months mate and when the market itches you'll scratch, no wonder you seeing the future with it. all the best

It makes sense for them to honour the guaranteed stop, doesn't it? Remember.
To put this one to bed (in this thread, as far I am concerned anyway), I did a quick check on IG’s T&C and found absolutely no small print that hints at their greater flexibility to interpret the context within which your controlled risk stops may operate in catastrophically fast market action, and provide themselves with from a business perspective what would be deemed appropriate protection. Doesn’t mean it isn’t there, but my perfunctory scan didn’t highlight any. I didn’t bother checking any other SB.

So, if you feel OK paying an extra 0.3% premium for the safety as advertised, why not. If you think IG (any SB) wont move their spread and price out of all proportion to the underlying they nominally track/quote at times of anticipated volatility, to hit stops which they can plainly see in order to flatten their risk, great.

If you really believe IG (or any other SB) will put your financial well-being, possibly even their existence, ahead of their own in a truly catastrophic market situation, also great. Trade away.

To put this one to bed (in this thread, as far I am concerned anyway), I did a quick check on IG’s T&C and found absolutely no small print that hints at their greater flexibility to interpret the context within which your controlled risk stops may operate in catastrophically fast market action, and provide themselves with from a business perspective what would be deemed appropriate protection. Doesn’t mean it isn’t there, but my perfunctory scan didn’t highlight any. I didn’t bother checking any other SB.

So, if you feel OK paying an extra 0.3% premium for the safety as advertised, why not. If you think IG (any SB) wont move their spread and price out of all proportion to the underlying they nominally track/quote at times of anticipated volatility, to hit stops which they can plainly see in order to flatten their risk, great.

If you really believe IG (or any other SB) will put your financial well-being, possibly even their existence, ahead of their own in a truly catastrophic market situation, also great. Trade away.

! agree with you 100% on your last paragraph but with the addition that neither will anyone else. I had options open on the 1987 crash and my broker was not answering the phone.

The world of trading is a dangerous game if the trader depends on the trustworthiness of whoever handles your money.

At the same time, I see the shutters going down on a large number of small commercial operations so, I guess, that nothing is safe.

Split

! agree with you 100% on your last paragraph but with the addition that neither will anyone else. I had options open on the 1987 crash and my broker was not answering the phone.

The world of trading is a dangerous game if the trader depends on the trustworthiness of whoever handles your money.

At the same time, I see the shutters going down on a large number of small commercial operations so, I guess, that nothing is safe.

Split

Splitlink,

It's interesting to hear from someone who experienced the 87 crash.

Had you sold puts?

Splitlink,

It's interesting to hear from someone who experienced the 87 crash.

Had you sold puts?

Don't want to dwell on that horrible day! Actually, I'm a cautious soul and was luckier than most but did not come off Scot free.