Career in IB sales & trading, need advice

jkv

Hi all,

I'm currently going through a big career driven crisis!! (crisis in my head anyway!)

I really want to pursue a career in front office sales / trading / research or global capital markets, but have totally the wrong start: I graduates studying Mathematics & Economics at one of the best universities in the UK, had an internship at a mediocre Australian bank for IBD, and then after graduating have joined a Top Tier Investment Bank - however I joined in a Finance / Ops role.

I've been there for over a year, and they are willing to pay for a management accounting course, which I really have no interest in, and now risk being typecast as Middle / Back Office. I feel i have a lot of promise, but entered the job market in Sept 2009 (possible the worst time i could have) and, looking back now rather stupidly took the first offer that came along! I feel really trapped now, and really need some advice regarding my options, and the best available route into that FO position.

I can :

leave the graduate scheme, staying in the current role i am in (which is pretty dead end as far as i can see) and then study to take the CFA level 1 in December (and hopefully the next stage in June2012)

Look for a new role (which has been fruitless and time consuming so far). Even recruiters have told me my move is pretty much unheard of and if so in very special circumstances - and given the market now, firms pretty much have their choice of new grads.

Do a finance based (recommendations for Trading and Research roles please) Masters degree somewhere prestigious, and then try to again apply and find a FO role.

Sorry for the essay, I am just really trapped trying to find a route out of where I am. Any opinions on whether a CFA is better than a Masters? If Level 1 is better than a Masters, or if theres even any point in doing a CFA!? How about an offcycle internship, although i've graduated and in a role already?

Any other advice?

Really could do with some help! Thanks for listening!

J