Best Thread Capital Spreads

It has always been of great annoyance to me that the only people who are allowed general media advertising is the national lottery... where the chances of winning are miniscule.... but of course the huge rake is taken by Her Majesty's Revenue

Very true! Odds of getting 3 numbers are 57 to 1 , with a 10-1 payout when you do!!! :cry:

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that. Don't think my IB will have explicitly blocked the port - was working fine with the older platform (they used to block CS completely but I got around that using the direct ip address. Now they have lifted the DNS lookup restriction). I think it's the firewall just blocking non-normal ports.

Reply from customer services was "Our Technical Team have confirmed that your Corporate Firewall may be blocking access to your account"

So, I think there are going to be many CS clients behind corporate firewalls who are going to be affected.

Many thanks

Sarit

I think your barking up the wrong tree by complaing to capital spreads. Sounds like your IT department have blocked acess to it and you need to get on to them or set up some kind of proxy server to get round this.

gle

delivery expected around the 16th october ... but i have got so used to glitches that i am not going to hold my breath !!

simon

I have a CS account, but don't use it any more as I can't trade fractions of a pound (eg.£1.56 per point), which I need for my pair trading. I now use IGIndex for this. I don't suppose by any chance this platform upgrade on (or after) the 16thOct, will allow fractions of a pound per point? I would go back to trading my CS account for its tight spreads if so....
Thanks

I have a CS account, but don't use it any more as I can't trade fractions of a pound (eg.£1.56 per point), which I need for my pair trading. I now use IGIndex for this. I don't suppose by any chance this platform upgrade on (or after) the 16thOct, will allow fractions of a pound per point? I would go back to trading my CS account for its tight spreads if so....
Thanks

Now that would be really great, it may not seam like a big deal but dealing with ftse100 shares, penny's really count.

I second leonarda request.

Thanks
No I don't think it will be possible after the upgrade. Dealingdesk don't support fractions, so I guess CS will not offer it after the transformation to the new platform. Have a look at ggmarkets, I have at times used stakes with fractions and it works fine. I don't know if the spreads are good enough for the instrument you are using for your pair trading though.

No I don't think it will be possible after the upgrade. Dealingdesk don't support fractions, so I guess CS will not offer it after the transformation to the new platform. Have a look at ggmarkets, I have at times used stakes with fractions and it works fine. I don't know if the spreads are good enough for the instrument you are using for your pair trading though.

Thanks for the heads-up on GG, spreads are quit painful though, trading/betting penny's, fat spreads don't cut it.

Thanks for the info. Shame CS won't offer fractions... As you say ggmarkets spreads are similar to IG, but IG offers more markets. I trade mostly ftse350 shares, so I was keen on the tighter spreads CS offer, but just this simple limitation prevents me from using them for my strategy...

Cheers

Thanks for the info. Shame CS won't offer fractions... As you say ggmarkets spreads are similar to IG, but IG offers more markets. I trade mostly ftse350 shares, so I was keen on the tighter spreads CS offer, but just this simple limitation prevents me from using them for my strategy...

Cheers

I ended up at fins, same reason, not much fun though.

I ended up at fins, same reason, not much fun though.

I was investigating PartyMarkets for the same reason; got stopped out of a weeks-old long position yesterday so I have no open positions with CS this morning. Again, the motivation is improved position sizing - IMO anyone betting less than a tenner a point would be better off with fractions. When I get around to it, I will open the PartyMarkets account and see how the spreads add up.

fractions are difficult and (please do not take this the wrong way but) ...there is just no money for CS in clients trading less than $1 (you can open a dollar account and we will transfer your sterling funds for u at a reasonable rate).

In conversation with the other SB companies who offer small size stakes they seem to spend half their time with accounts who are trading 10p...50p a point on the indices. For this reason they generally limit clients time on the fractional accounts. In reality the biggest difference you can have between a real trade and a £1 bet size would be £50 per 100 points!

We give our novice clients the demo account which they can trade to their hearts content (we never turn them off) so they can gain knowledge (if not expertise) without cash. I would almost say that trading with 10p a point is no better than not using money at all !

Most of the SB's actually have bigger minimum than £1 for many of the most popular markets.

Simon

fractions are difficult and (please do not take this the wrong way but) ...there is just no money for CS in clients trading less than $1 (you can open a dollar account and we will transfer your sterling funds for u at a reasonable rate).

In conversation with the other SB companies who offer small size stakes they seem to spend half their time with accounts who are trading 10p...50p a point on the indices. For this reason they generally limit clients time on the fractional accounts. In reality the biggest difference you can have between a real trade and a £1 bet size would be £50 per 100 points!

We give our novice clients the demo account which they can trade to their hearts content (we never turn them off) so they can gain knowledge (if not expertise) without cash. I would almost say that trading with 10p a point is no better than not using money at all !

Most of the SB's actually have bigger minimum than £1 for many of the most popular markets.

Simon

I can understand there being no money for CS in customers betting small amounts, but I don't buy the fractions argument at all. Can't your computers do fractions? I'd take them back! :LOL: There are all sorts of reasons why fractional bets may be useful to the customer and if CS don't provide it, then they may go to someone who will.

However, if you don't like customers betting small amounts, then it would be kinder/more honest to smaller customers if you insisted on a larger minimum opening account size, so newbies wouldn't be tempted to bet too high a percentage of their account on any one trade. (Not getting at CS in particular. I've made a similar point on other threads aimed at other providers).

Simon
Simon, you know very well a demo account is not the same thing.:)

I can understand there being no money for CS in customers betting small amounts, but I don't buy the fractions argument at all. Can't your computers do fractions? I'd take them back! :LOL: There are all sorts of reasons why fractional bets may be useful to the customer and if CS don't provide it, then they may go to someone who will.

However, if you don't like customers betting small amounts, then it would be kinder/more honest to smaller customers if you insisted on a larger minimum opening account size, so newbies wouldn't be tempted to bet too high a percentage of their account on any one trade. (Not getting at CS in particular. I've made a similar point on other threads aimed at other providers).
I think if you are asking for fractions, CS is not the place to go. There are other who provide this service. I rather prefer CS to tighten up their service, by transforming to the new platform. One simply can not have it all, this is one of the reasons why trading with several SB is a necessity.

I think if you are asking for fractions, CS is not the place to go. There are other who provide this service. I rather prefer CS to tighten up their service, by transforming to the new platform. One simply can not have it all, this is one of the reasons why trading with several SB is a necessity.

Well, I opened a PartyMarkets account at the weekend to investigate this further- my only other account is with CS. At first glance, the fact that the spreads are twice as wide on both rolling daily and quarterly FTSE makes the ability to stake £3.56pp rather moot.

PartyMarkets do seem to be competitive on US (rolling daily) indices, less so on the quarterlies.

Guess it all depends on what you want to trade really. I prefer quarterlies as they have a "real" underlying.

Now to figure out how best to extract the "free" £250 from PartyMarkets...

Well, I opened a PartyMarkets account at the weekend to investigate this further- my only other account is with CS. At first glance, the fact that the spreads are twice as wide on both rolling daily and quarterly FTSE makes the ability to stake £3.56pp rather moot.

PartyMarkets do seem to be competitive on US (rolling daily) indices, less so on the quarterlies.

Guess it all depends on what you want to trade really. I prefer quarterlies as they have a "real" underlying.

Now to figure out how best to extract the "free" £250 from PartyMarkets...

You just need to trade the opposite way in a real account.:)

Tar

comment from IT
One of the most obvious things is that he is running Vista on only 1gb of ram. I’m told that Dell wont even sell a pc with vista on 1gb. We can also see that he is running AVG anti-virus this can use lots of cpu at times and may be to blame.

It may also be the version of flash player that he is using, the last one or two releases had significant performance improvements.

I would suggest that he updates his flash player to the latest version and increases his memory to 2gb

hope this helps

simon

no this is not the issue , i told my brother to try it on his laptop ( 4 gb ) same issue , also if this is a ram problem y it happens with CS platform only , hope CS solve it sooner cuz this stopped me from coming back to trade with CS

Simon

I think you missed my original point about having fractions, which for my purpose is the ability to pairs trade, in the bet size region of £1 to £10. For example, if I have a pair:
DLTA.L price = 173
IMI.L price = 437
To have a neutral trade I would need to bet:
DLTA.L Sell £7.58
IMI.L Buy £3

Reactions: tar
no this is not the issue , i told my brother to try it on his laptop ( 4 gb ) same issue , also if this is a ram problem y it happens with CS platform only , hope CS solve it sooner cuz this stopped me from coming back to trade with CS
Why don't you go back to XP or try Windows 7? Vista is on the way out.:)
Computer related problem is not the strong side of any SB. There is some trading problem one must solve personally, and this one seem to be such a case.

Why don't you go back to XP or try Windows 7? Vista is on the way out.:)
Computer related problem is not the strong side of any SB. There is some trading problem one must solve personally, and this one seem to be such a case.
This problem is not from my side cuz it happens only with CS platform , IG CMC FXCM Oanda Open Ecry .... etc working normally and i am not the only one experienced this Oil tanker i think experienced this as well but yeah I will upgrade to Windows 7 when it is relased :) .

This problem is not from my side cuz it happens only with CS platform , IG CMC FXCM Oanda Open Ecry .... etc working normally and i am not the only one experienced this Oil tanker i think experienced this as well but yeah I will upgrade to Windows 7 when it is relased :) .
I have used XP for over 4 years trading with CS, not a single computer or software related problem. Have you tried different browsers. IE, Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome. If you have not tried Chrome it might be worth a try.