Best Thread Capital Spreads

Hi Simon,

could you tell me why there is a gap on all your Crude Oil charts today between 15:59 and 16:06?

Vorbis

our data feed to the IPE went down. We put the market to telephone only whilst we switched to a different feed supplier.

Simon

capitalspreads said:
minx

although I would like to disagree I cannot. We provide charts as a free service but quite a bit of trading psycology is 'confidence' . Our charting package is very good (or has been up to the last couple of week) but there will always be the nagging feeling (because we quote and chart) that somehow we 'adjust' the prices.

to give that full sense that you are getting the full story a complimentary chart package may provide the confidence that you need.

simon

Confidence is a big factor of course but that wasnt quite what I was getting at. I just want to base my trading decisions on actual market data and be able to develop my own indicators, decide my own rollover conditions, backtest, etc.... Free charts are fine for basic charting but by their very nature they arent all that indepth, they are what they are- free. Not a criticism really, just my personal opinion.

Hmmmm.

I don't mean to moan, but after the surprise hike in the BoE base rate, the charts for USD/SEK, USD/NOK and cable are ten minutes behind the market, and a couple of minutes ago, USD/SEK chart was over 200 pips away from the market.

Crazy! :rolleyes:

Jbat001 said:
Hmmmm.

I don't mean to moan, but after the surprise hike in the BoE base rate, the charts for USD/SEK, USD/NOK and cable are ten minutes behind the market, and a couple of minutes ago, USD/SEK chart was over 200 pips away from the market.

Crazy! :rolleyes:

I do try to be subjective, my main concern is that CS's clients do not lose money unnecessarily. IMO if a broker (or any business for that matter) has the means to rectify a problem & he does not benefit from that problem, then he would make the changes to better the service. That's just common sense. Simon, I did have my own business, so I know what I am talking about. The reason you guys don't make charts more stable is because they are free to your clients, competition uses same crap & subsequently most of your clients that do size won't use/rely on your charts anyway. Hence, you will not change much, unless your competitors start making changes. I am not criticising you, I am raising awareness to novice traders that assume that a free chart = a saving, not in this game.

Jbat001 said:
It's 13:42 - the USD/SEK chart shows 7.0336 and the ticker says 7.0523.......

Surely if you can trade this then it's a wonderful chance for arbitrage is it not? I'm sure CS would soon sort out the feed if they lost money this way.

Last edited:
Hoggums said:
Surely if you can trade this then it's a wonderful chance for arbitrage is it not? I'm sure CS would soon sort out the feed if they lost money this way.

Lol! That's not an arbitrage opportunity, that's the disparity between the price the chart is showing and the price the ticker is showing. You (obviously) trade on the ticker, so all this shows is that the charts are very badly out of kilter with the real price!

EDIT for 12/01/07: Got an independent charting solution now, but more of the same shenanigans with the CS chart feed still...

Last edited:
How Rubbish

I see that once again the Capital Spreads site goes down at and is still down at the busy time of the day.

Will these guys ever get it sorted, what a joke!

this is nothing to do with us one of the major London ISP lines has crashed through which our provider Mistral routes.

we are in the same situation as our clients.

our dealing desk line is 02074567 010

simon

Ripcord said:
I see that once again the Capital Spreads site goes down at and is still down at the busy time of the day.

Will these guys ever get it sorted, what a joke!

I just phoned them - they're working their arses off to get the problem sorted, but it's still outrageous for the entire site to go down at the busiest point in the whole day, and on the most announcement-laden day this week!

EDIT: We're back in business - nice one everybody!

Last edited:
Jbat001 said:
I just phoned them - they're working their arses off to get the problem sorted, but it's still outrageous for the entire site to go down at the busiest point in the whole day, and on the most announcement-laden day this week!

THIS IS BL**DY RIDICULOUS!!!

I've seen this far too many times now

Guys - please let me know your experience with others like Worldspreads etc?

Considering a switch now

Ive spoken to them and seemingly there's nt much they can do. They cannot tell me whether orders would be triggered or not. Not happy.

karmit said:
THIS IS BL**DY RIDICULOUS!!!

I've seen this far too many times now

Guys - please let me know your experience with others like Worldspreads etc?

Considering a switch now

The only troubole free platform Ive come across is IG's. However the spreads are bigger than CS's on most products.

karmit said:
spoke too soon.... its back - but many instruments are "Tel: " only... yuk..

Most of the FX Markets are closed too - should be reinstated 'in the next few minutes' I've just been told, and they're still tradeable, just not over the internet.

Jbat001 said:
Most of the FX Markets are closed too - should be reinstated 'in the next few minutes' I've just been told, and they're still tradeable, just not over the internet.

all looks well now... dread to think of life without internet!!!

karmit said:
all looks well now... dread to think of life without internet!!!

Que? I'm still showing almost all of the major FX closed, apart from EUR/USD, GBP/USD and USD/JPY.

Funny

Amazing how it went down just after the data and came back up once the market had settled down . i am sure it was a freakish coincidence , Stellar effort guys