Best Thread Capital Spreads

Well i`ll wait and see if i can get a good , honest reply .
Fair enough.
It`s not as though i`m attempting to defraud them
Nobody so much as implied you were.
i`m simply trying to deal on a price created by them and the market
That is the point.
.I know there will be many hundreds if not thousands attempting to deal at the same price , but the price was indicated and it was the speed of execution which caused the "Price no longer valid " ticket .
Yes - the market / their quote would have been at that level at the second you clicked. Is it your fault that they intentionally delay the execution by passing your trade to a human and then intentionally refuse the trade based on price action subsequent to your attempt to deal? When a firm can decide whether to offer you your (best?) execution after the price has moved, it gives them an unfair advantage unless they accept every price which was a fair price at the instant the buy or sell button was clicked. Who cares if it takes the dealer a few seconds to check the price - you should be able to rely on getting the deal if the platform displayed a price, the price was fair (ie not an off market rate), and you were dealing in less than their size. This is how it is at other spreadbetting firms. If they complain that the delay stops them from hedging, then they should reject trades where the price has moved on so long as they do not fill trades when the boot is on the other foot.
I`ve been trading 20 years and used an IB platform previously , the tax advantages of SB were appealing . It`s a pity the literature doesn`t match what it says on the packet .Initially i found their service very good and customer service excellent.Now as the customer base increases both are faltering . It will reach a saturation point and the churn rate will increase rapidly if they don`t improve on some of the points mentioned .
True enough, but they will only improve when it suits their bottom line. I think they used to be a good company, but from what I have heard the customer service and execution isn't so good any more. Hopefully they can get their act together.
Can i ask some others who use CS to show some solidarity if these problems persist .I intend to close the account if this doesn`t improve quickly ,can i ask others to follow suit at an agreed time and date. This isn`t anything personnel against Simon or CS as i`m sure they`re not just targetting me and it`s a general issue which needs to be fixed quickly

It isn't personal - it is business. If they can't or won't execute you properly, then it makes sense to trade elsewhere. I agree with Oanda's website about transparency in execution.

For any type of trading, best execution comprises three essential factors:

1. the best price (least displacement from the quote)
2. the fastest execution (to capture the moment of opportunity—without the delay of dealer intervention)
3. the fastest settlement (for traders, to maintain the flow of capital; for market makers, to avoid operational and interest-rate risk)

[my emphasis, from Oanda.com]

Unfortunately I can't join you in the en masse account closure - I closed mine back in October. If I had an account with them and was contemplating closing it for these reasons, I'd be happy to go along.

I don't know if we will here from Simon again now that the tone of the thread has turned. I just wish they could see that quite a few of their clients are having problems not getting executed. If you can't trade, they don't make their spread. What is so difficult about offering decent execution? Most other SB firms manage it okay.

I've had a few requotes with CMC, but never a deal rejected and sometimes the requotes have been in my favour. This only happens in a fast market. I've never missed a trade with IG, or City Index. TradIndex don't even appear to have a mechanism to refuse a trade.

Just a quick easy one chaps

What is the bare minimum amount required to open a Capital Spreads account ?

Many thanks (y)

Lightning

Just a quick easy one chaps

What is the bare minimum amount required to open a Capital Spreads account ?

Many thanks (y)

Lightning

LOL Lightning McQueen to save the day!

Looks like you're just in time.

Everyone is closing theirs ;)

It's going to be like a run on a bank by the sounds of things...

LOL Lightning McQueen to save the day!

Looks like you're just in time.

Everyone is closing theirs ;)

It's going to be like a run on a bank by the sounds of things...

Hey T_D, what have I missed :LOL:

I'm sure capital spreads is bigger than the few members here.

Just asking for the benefit of myself and my new thread ;)

I entered into a discussion about this sort of thing with ANother SB co a while ago. The basic question is how they can get away with telling you that the client is always betting against their quote, not the real market, yet at the same time deliberately delaying fills to maximise 'slippage' if it's to their benefit, even though they quoted the price you were supposed to have. All this nonsense about having to process fills through dealers 'to ensure the price is right' actually means watching what happens and waiting until the most convenient moment for them! They basically ignored the question, so I closed the account.

i have few problems but then i don't trade news spikes or the ticket window but normal trend trading off the daily charts.

Well i intend to give it until the end of the week to try and ascertain a reasonable response

Other than that i`ll have no choice but to close my account

I think i`ll open a new thread on here and ADVFN which appear to be the two main active boards.ADVFN is very active to try and ascertain what the concensus is with Capital Spreads .I suppose if people are happy with the service they won`t reply if they`re not they can vote with their feet

the problem with all of this is that no matter how many times i say this the same commentators come back again and again with the same refrain. I could not get my tradde away on FX over a data release.

We have an institutional FX unit Capital Forex which has one of the most liquid platforms in the market. Even here just before the data releases the prices can widen to around 40 to 50 points on cable as all the banks pull their prices. Many clients put orders on just before numbers to both buy above the market and sell below the market. On the 'real' market action we could fill both sides to give the clients a whopping loss and no open position before the figure is even out. Obviously we do not do this but the amount of slippage that is a fact of life in FX markets over data releases is not something that either we or any other SB company can ignore. Otherwise the amount that we lost over data releases due to unrealistic fills would soon outweigh legitimate trading activity.

FXscalper rather gives the game away in his preferred name. If you read his comments the other way round from the point of view of the person actually having to make a price to thousands of people at exactly the same time you will see how jaundiced we can become. I have no problem at all with winning clients we have hundreds of them many who have made hundreds of thousands of pounds out of us. What I do have a problem with is clients who trade on prices that they know are unrealistic at that moment in time and still cry foul when they are rejected. Please show me a bookie who will still quote odds on horses after the race is run.

As he says he used to be able to make great money out of brokers in FX over numbers until they changes the way they make prices. Well SB companies are no different. We are not here just so that someone can trade on fractionally delayed prices over very volaatile periods and Guarantee a profit. If we did that we and anyone else would soon go out of business.

As mentioned the same people always seem to comment here even though they all also claim to trade with others now(?!).

I have made unending comments about the policy on fills and we now have fills policy online to be read at your pleasure. I assure you that our fill policy is rather clearer than some others.

Simon

No-one doubts the difficulties faced at news times, but what this seems to mean is that SB companies are quoting prices that effectively don't exist, which is a bit worrying, to say the least! Any why should clients be filled on the 'real' market, when it's always stressed that we're trading on the prices quoted?

the problem with all of this is that no matter how many times i say this the same commentators come back again and again with the same refrain. I could not get my tradde away on FX over a data release.

We have an institutional FX unit Capital Forex which has one of the most liquid platforms in the market. Even here just before the data releases the prices can widen to around 40 to 50 points on cable as all the banks pull their prices. Many clients put orders on just before numbers to both buy above the market and sell below the market. On the 'real' market action we could fill both sides to give the clients a whopping loss and no open position before the figure is even out. Obviously we do not do this but the amount of slippage that is a fact of life in FX markets over data releases is not something that either we or any other SB company can ignore. Otherwise the amount that we lost over data releases due to unrealistic fills would soon outweigh legitimate trading activity.

FXscalper rather gives the game away in his preferred name. If you read his comments the other way round from the point of view of the person actually having to make a price to thousands of people at exactly the same time you will see how jaundiced we can become. I have no problem at all with winning clients we have hundreds of them many who have made hundreds of thousands of pounds out of us. What I do have a problem with is clients who trade on prices that they know are unrealistic at that moment in time and still cry foul when they are rejected. Please show me a bookie who will still quote odds on horses after the race is run.

As he says he used to be able to make great money out of brokers in FX over numbers until they changes the way they make prices. Well SB companies are no different. We are not here just so that someone can trade on fractionally delayed prices over very volaatile periods and Guarantee a profit. If we did that we and anyone else would soon go out of business.

As mentioned the same people always seem to comment here even though they all also claim to trade with others now(?!).

I have made unending comments about the policy on fills and we now have fills policy online to be read at your pleasure. I assure you that our fill policy is rather clearer than some others.

Simon

Simon,

1-I have never traded on delayed prices. It is not the sort of thing I even attempt to do.

2- I am not a pure scalper. My choice of nick has nothing to do with anything. WTF are you talking about 'I gave the game away?'. You don't know anything about me mate, so stop this nonesense. You think I am stupid enough to try and make a living trading latency with a SB comany? Give me a break mate. I know exactly what you guys are about so I will never in a million years even attempt that.

3- My interest in tackling the problem in trading is not always personal. I do not give two hoots what you do. However, I hate with a passion all the rubbish that goes on in this business. I hate scams, BS advice, people who sell courses, write trading books, etc. It is something I feel strongly about.

4- Your claim that news trading is bad for clients does not sit well with your nervousness around news time. I am not even asking you to allow people to trade data. However, I am asking you not to spew contradictory stuff by saying clients lose trading the news and still try and stop them from trading during the news

5- I never said I used to make 'great money out of brokers'. You are putting words in my mouth. I said it was easy to make money after data release before brokers basically made it impossible. They do this by freezing prices like CMC do or delaying fills like you do.

Simon, just improve your fills. Trust me, it is very bad. Worse than a lot of SB firms. So, go away and do the job. I fully accept that you have to protect yourself from delay scalpers. But remember you should only worry about it when there is actually a delay to exploit. If you claim people are trying to exploit feed dealy when there are no such delays, you are going to lose business because it makes no sense.

As to news trading, the liquidity problem usually happens in the first few seconds after big releases. My ECN widens the spread and it comes right back within a minute or two. Why? Because prices are back to normal, albeit moving fast.

Do the right thing and I will never argue with you. I will never expect a broker to fill me at any price at any time. That would be silly. Remember this: we can verify what you are saying. If there is no delay in feed while you say there is, we can show that is not true. If you effectively stop people from trading simply because there is a decent move, we know you are just being too greedy. Make sure what you say stands up to scrutiny.

Last edited:
phil

not a single price, in the final analysis, exists in SB because the markets are not fungible. You cannot turn a spread bet in M&S shares into the shares themselves.

What we do say is that when a client trades with us we must be able to back up the price with reference to the market. i.e if shares in M&S has a bid offer of 420-421p and a client has a stop at 415p we cannot just bias our price by 5p to take out his/her stop.

Simon

phil

not a single price, in the final analysis, exists in SB because the markets are not fungible. You cannot turn a spread bet in M&S shares into the shares themselves.

What we do say is that when a client trades with us we must be able to back up the price with reference to the market. i.e if shares in M&S has a bid offer of 420-421p and a client has a stop at 415p we cannot just bias our price by 5p to take out his/her stop.

Simon

We seem to be agreeing and disagreeing at the same time here. Surely the SB price does exist, because that's what you're quoting and that's what we must bet against? The problem arises when you quote a price and then don't fill it because 'the market' is somewhere else. How is it fair if the prices quoted are (knowingly) wrong, yet clients can't even cancel a pending order that may be filled at a different figure, at a time that's convenient to you?

Firstly Simon

I`m not referring to FX i made reference to New home figs yesterday .I tried to sell ftse at 6390 and that`s when i was refused the price the same happened on the NFP figs a few days earlier.I haven`t come on here to pick a fight i`ve come for a reasoanble explanation please don`t pass me off as "one of the same old faces"

ON NFP figs your sysytem was quoting "Please check open positions"

This left the trader in doubt if a fill had occurred .By the way it hadn`t not once.

I asked if this could be rectified

This appears to have been rectified by a "Price no longer valid " ticket

You`ve nicely side stepped the issue but

a.) The market wasn`t volatile i was simply betting in the right direction

and

b.) As Phil says you make the price all we can do is trade on those figs

Capital Spreads is now making a price and deciding if it wishes to trade on it

How is that balanced in fairness to your so called customers

I`m not referring to FX i made reference to New home figs yesterday .I tried to sell ftse at 6390 and that`s when i was refused the price the same happened on the NFP figs a few days earlier.I haven`t come on here to pick a fight i`ve come for a reasoanble explanation please don`t pass me off as "one of the same old faces"

Actually Trusted, if you are only complaining about fills over figures then I'm afraid Simon is right. This issue has been done to death. I was under the impression that you were talking about fills during normal market time (ie not after the open or after news). I think some other posters here who say they have closed their accounts were complaining about bad fills at various times of the day unrelated to news.
ON NFP figs your sysytem was quoting "Please check open positions"

This left the trader in doubt if a fill had occurred .By the way it hadn`t not once.

I asked if this could be rectified

I agree with that. You should always know whether you have a fill, do not have a fill, or are waiting for a fill. Being told to "check open positions" to see if a deal was done or not is not cool.

However, if you are trying to trade over the employment number with a SB firm you are mad.

I'll give you a perfectly feasible example given how slow SB firms can be to fill over figures, and the fact that NFP spikes reverse as often as they continue. Lets say the Dow is at 13000 going into the figure, and you are flat. You see the Dow drop to 12960 and think the news must be pretty bad, so you sell 12960. The "order pending" bar comes up. You see the CS quote continue to drop in your watchlist. You start counting your pips as you see 12936/40. Order isn't filled yet (we are talking a few seconds when everyone is trying to deal, so the dealers won't be as quick as usual). Market looks at the prior month revision, which is bullish even though the headline for this month was bearish. There were more jobs created last month than previously supposed. Dow jumps back up to 12970. You are now panicked because you don't know whether you are short from 960 or not. You get filled, and immediately try to cover. Price now at 980, and you get "price no longer valid" when waiting to get out. Dow is slightly above pre-NFP figure, you get out with a 50 point loss including the spread.

This is quite possible, and likely. At least in the direct market you can grab a few pips on the continuation if you read the headline and revision and are good with S/R. If price runs against you you can use a market order to cover your ass even though you might get slipped. With SB you are in a queue with all the other folk who thought they'd punt it over the payrolls.

If you want to trade the news with an SB, either take a position before the figure comes out and be prepared for serious pip losses if it spiked against you and you get slipped on the way out, or wait until the close of the first 15M candle and trade of the S/R of that when the market has died down. Try not to complain about bad fills.

People appear to be having issues getting non-news deals done with CS, and Simon thinks that they are all complaining about poor fills over news. See what happens?

This appears to have been rectified by a "Price no longer valid " ticket

That is much better - at least you see you didn't get the deal.
You`ve nicely side stepped the issue but
Gentlemen, please!
a.) The market wasn`t volatile i was simply betting in the right direction

This wouldn't be the 100+ pip drop on the Dow on the employment number? That is volatile mate.
and

b.) As Phil says you make the price all we can do is trade on those figs

Capital Spreads is now making a price and deciding if it wishes to trade on it

How is that balanced in fairness to your so called customers

Whoa fellas! Can we please keep this civil?

To be honest, I don't think you have too much to complain about regarding fills on the employment number. Seriously. If you are profitable with trading the news, but need to bet on continuations in the aftermath I suggest you go direct market. SB firms simply can't give everyone instant fills at that time.

All SB firms make a price, and they also decide whether to deal on it. They show you an indication quote, and you can offer to trade on it. If they accept, you have a deal, if they do not you have nothing done.

I thought you had an issue with fills under normal market conditions. It appears that some other people here have issues in normal market conditions. This is something CS can and should be sorting. Expecting instant fills over news like that is never going to happen anywhere but the exchange, and even then there better be someone wanting to take the other side in whatever size you want otherwise you'll still have nothing done.

I appreciate that bad fills interfere with your trading, and are stressful and frustrating, but I think it is best to concentrate on what SB firms can do to improve their service, and areas where they are actually having issues, rather than expecting the impossible.

What about if they guaranteed cable fills at their quote up to £100pp over nonfarms, but made the price 40 wide - would you trade on that?

I think anyone who has problems with fills dealing in a reasonable size on liquid markets (indices, FX, etc) at normal times during the day (not the open or after news) should be clear about that here and maybe Simon could look into it. Otherwise, I don't see why people complain about bad fills on the news.

Trusted - do you have fill issues at other times? I don't mean the above to sound harsh. You mention that you have had a CS account for a long time, so if you are noticing worse service than you would expect then that is a cause for concern.
Can I ask what method you use to trade the news? (I understand if you can't or won't give too much away, but you appear to take a position after the figure- hence the problems with fills - so is that S/R, analysis of the news, range breakout, etc?) If you want to do the FX, perhaps consider an ECN broker, but be prepared for the spreads to widen massively. If you don't want to do OTC, then try getting an Interactive Brokers account and trading the real Z at LIFFE or the real YM at the CBOT. At least you will be assured instant fills on market orders and transparency.

fxbootcamp has many vids on ytube on how one might trade nfp news. [note- i am not associated with them].
i never trade nfp or news unless i'm already in :)

lurker lurker

I traded as the ftse peaked (or tried to) yesterday AFTER the figures 10 minutes afterwards

I ended up using my IB account to fill

So yes the market wasn`t volatile at that time and a fill should have been easy done

What i am annoyed is why i got the "price no longer valid" ticket

You can`t make prices and then just decide wether or not you want to fill them

Where`s the balance in that .I request a price they quote i accept/decline

Simple

Declining a trdae because the market moves in your favour as it`s filling isn`t the customers fault

It`s either CS platform isn`t up to the job or CS dealers are cherry picking trades

Which is it

Let me clarify "Standard conditions , no volatilty"

Is this unfair

lurker lurker

I traded as the ftse peaked (or tried to) yesterday AFTER the figures 10 minutes afterwards

So yes the market wasn`t volatile at that time and a fill should have been easy done

Thanks for that. You just mentioned 2 different major US economic figures in your earlier post. (which led to Simon's comment about the "same old" complaints)

Yes you can. That is part of being a market maker. However, you should be consistent in your fills (good business practice) and have a platform which allows a client to withdraw their offer to trade at any time before it is filled (fairness). This means that if you miss a trade from time to time because of delays in fill, you don't get the shaft when the market is rallying against your short and they take all day to fill it - you can just cancel the order.

This is my gripe with CS. They fill orders which have gone against the client by more than the spread (without giving them the opportunity to cancel unfilled orders) while denying fills to orders done on fair prices where the price happens to have moved on due to the delay. The only way I see to level the playing field it to allow clients to pull orders that have not been filled. This means you miss the odd trade, but CS can't give you deals where the underlying is outside of the quote you clicked +/- the spread when they finally fill you.

You can't expect a MM to guarantee fills, but they need to stop trying to get the best of both worlds by forcing a client to keep their offer to trade open for 30 seconds or more before deciding whether or not to get filled. If they allowed clients to cancel, you could pull your order if the market had moved in your favour (since you wouldn't get filled) and try and get your entry at a slightly worse price. You could also pull an order where the market had moved against you and reenter at a better price. If they haven't filled it, you have no deal and should be entitled to withdraw your offer prior to their acceptance. The platform provides no way to do this, which is unfair.

Simple

Declining a trdae because the market moves in your favour as it`s filling isn`t the customers fault

No, it isn't. They need to sort themselves out. However, they need to do it in a way which is cost effective. I think clients could live with missing a trade from time to time provided they didn't get screwed over when the boot was on the other foot. (ie when price had gone against them).
It`s either CS platform isn`t up to the job or CS dealers are cherry picking trades

Which is it

Neither. CS quote FTSE 6399/400. You buy FTSE at 6400. 30 seconds later it is quoted 6402/3. Dealer sees it - declines it for being outside the spread and therefore invalid. A MM can't take trades they cannot lay off at less cost. They can't eat a few points in these circumstances (or at least don't want to). If they did that for every punter at £5pp they'd have to do it for the punters who do £50pp and it just doesn't make sense in the long run. However, if you had sold 6399 you would get filled even though the price was 6402/3 (ie outside the spread). This needs to stop. If they haven't filled the order, a client should be able to cancel. If you could cancel, you could try to buy/sell again at the new quote as the price had moved on from the old quote, without knowing you'd only ever get filled the wrong way.

Is this unfair

Simon - I'm sure we all accept your succinct and coherent arguments about news. I don't think anyone here expects the impossible from SB firms in general. However, do you have a comment on the fill issues during "standard conditions"?

lurker lurker

Simple

Which is it

Is this unfair

To be honest knowing how your counterparty will handle your execution is part of deciding if a firm is worth using. Think about this from a market perspective – if you attempt a trade with a firm based on a fixed price where that firm can use the benefit of hindsight to decide if they are going to take the trade or not is just like you writing an option and not charging a premium for it (ie handing out free money). The choice of the firm on its acceptance will depend on the value of the index at a point in time beyond which the order has been placed. If the price in the market now favours you then they could reject the order. Likewise if the price in the market favours them they can accept the order. They are in control of how long you order maybe left pending. Their software will not allow you to cancel your ‘offer to contract’ (which is technically what you make to the firm when you hit the buy or sell button) whilst your order is in the queue. Can you see how one sided this all is? There is no point trying to trade data with any firm who would wish to delay your order execution for any reason. Any delay in execution makes your ‘Order’ into an ‘Option’ for which you are never paid. If you do this over data then the firms are just laughing. Ask yourself this.... these firms have massive IT budgets and huge computers which could processes many deals per second but choose instead to ‘process’ clients deals manually..... WHY? If you check the volumes on real electronic exchanges around key data you will see massive volumes going through. Why then do certain spread betting firms move markets to manual executions during that period? Common sense dictates that these firms would want to process deals in the most efficient manner during these periods but alas they do the reverse..... WHY? When they realise that there is a need for fast efficient execution they intervene to prevent it..... WHY?

Personally I have learnt over time to use certain tools for certain jobs. I find Capital to be excellent for position share trading. I don’t think that I have had more than about one refused deal in the last couple of years on UK / Euroland / US shares.

Steve.

Personally I have learnt over time to use certain tools for certain jobs. I find Capital to be excellent for position share trading. I don’t think that I have had more than about one refused deal in the last couple of years on UK / Euroland / US shares.

Steve.

Yep, I only use these firms for postion trades. I use IG by the way. As for day trading, I dont care who the spreadbet firm outfit is, if you scalp,short term and taking mony off them, they'll get it all back sooner or later.