Calling all "Senior Members T2W" Experienced traders! Help Newbies?

Last edited:
Racer said:
Being in the SW I can't really answer that! ;)
But think it was this year??
I think NewtonBomb organised it, I will contact him to see if anything is in the pipeline.Alternately may take a trip to the nearest next meeting.
Thanks Again

TheBramble said:
Gardan, good intent and I hope you get lots of reasoned and pertinent replies, but I'd like to put the record straight on 'that' thread.

When I started the thread I had no idea what the relationship was and at the time, thought they were one and the same. They are not.

Unfortunately, although Duncan Robertson (allegedly a former student of Chief Wizard) is probably one to avoid, the thread 'developed' into a fairly out-and-attack on another t2w member who had and has not to my knowledge indicated any desire or intention to charge members for anything.

Be very careful to clearly separate those responses from people who have direct experience of the trainers/courses being discussed and those that have a hidden agenda or perhaps a vested interest.

I think you're more likely to benefit from the PMs which will inevitably wing their way to you (especially regarding your poiint #3!) and you can also check out the various, fairly recent, threads relating to coaches/courses throughout these forums.

Good luck.
I will heed your advice -Thanks Again

Deafness Followed By Rudeness

Skimbleshanks said:
There's one huge problem when starting out - deafness.

That's because 99% of newbies are deaf when they are told by genuine traders the real hard facts that they need to know about trading. First of all they put their hands up in horror, then they give a mouthful to the person who has told them, and then they firmly slap their hands over their ears so that they can't hear any more.

And then someone comes along who tells them all the sorts of things they want to hear. Wonderful cosy things such as how easy it all is, how it only takes a few hours to master the markets, how money just falls over itself to jump into their accounts, how special software will only select winning stocks, how a newsletter will reveal all the secrets, how there are secret formulae and secret pivot levels which are guaranteed to work, there's a guaranteed money-back offer, etc, etc. They are wooed by these softly spoken people and happily hand over thousands of pounds and wait eagerly with their wheelbarrows to cart off all the promised riches from the market. And they end up having to sell the wheelbarrow to get the bus fare for the trip home.

There are things newbies NEED to know, but these are never the things they WANT to know.
I have only just seen this ! What is missing from the above is the unjustified abuse and rudeness that follows from such people, when despite all warnings and advice, they go and do the very opposite of what it is they ought be doing, and putting their attention on. The outcome is that the very few expert members become dismayed and abstain witth their expertise and experience, regardind all of this with dismay, and then everybody loses, both newbies and oldies. Now the naughty children that disturb the class cause everybody else to be prevented from being taught what it is they need to know, which is the opposite of what they want to know. Now everybody is happy because the whole website is again reduced to what it merits according to the general standard of its membership, which is a lot of arguing, rudeness, and perpetual ignorance.

Further Explanation

Ah ! And I am going to expand on this:~
Arguing, rudeness and perpetual ignorance.
Arguing: Yes, a lot of arguing goes on as a result of the great majority either not knowing or being able to grasp correctly what it is that is being discussed or explained.
Rudeness: Yes, as a consequence of the above believing everybody is like them, and hence displaying their true nature for everybody to suffer.
Perpetual ignorance: Yes, as a consequence of the same sort of stupid question being asked again and again in different guises, despite multiple explanations by others, ad nauseam !
There you have it !

Last edited:
Fair enough Socrates, but I don't understand why a few detractors, no matter how abusive, should so influence any poster to stop posting.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"
Nonetheless several frequent posters followed by many have taken umbridge and stopped posting. Surely they cannot expect total agreement and no flak ?
Some people have been hurt in the past and are in a mind to out anyone whom they think may be a charlaton, rightly or wrongly. Hurt people exist on all bulletin boards - they go with the territory - that's life. Some others are merely sceptical until otherwise persuaded.
Frankly I believe that turning the other cheek is the ony way to continue, otherwise if some posters are just too sensitive to criticism, then the whole point of a board such as this is lost.
Just like road rage, where people feel safe within the confines of their car-cocoon to shake fists and make v-signs and worse, a bulletin board is bound to give free rein to anyone who wants to say anything.
Use the Ignore feature (what happened to the button Sharky ?)
Glenn

I am not the only one to stop posting. Think carefully and you will come to the conclusion that the handful of top experts are not posting either. We cannot all be wrong in diverting our attention elsewhere.

Glenn said:
Fair enough Socrates, but I don't understand why a few detractors, no matter how abusive, should so influence any poster to stop posting.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"
Nonetheless several frequent posters followed by many have taken umbridge and stopped posting. Surely they cannot expect total agreement and no flak ?
Some people have been hurt in the past and are in a mind to out anyone whom they think may be a charlaton, rightly or wrongly. Hurt people exist on all bulletin boards - they go with the territory - that's life. Some others are merely sceptical until otherwise persuaded.
Frankly I believe that turning the other cheek is the ony way to continue, otherwise if some posters are just too sensitive to criticism, then the whole point of a board such as this is lost.
Just like road rage, where people feel safe within the confines of their car-cocoon to shake fists and make v-signs and worse, a bulletin board is bound to give free rein to anyone who wants to say anything.
Use the Ignore feature (what happened to the button Sharky ?)
Glenn
And notwithstanding the previous, you are not included in the above, as your conduct on these boards I will say publicly, has always been exemplary.

I was wondering why the T2W site appeared to be quiet, 1st noticed it on the FTSE indicies thread but looks unfortunately from your comments that things have got out of hand just like other sites I have at 1st found useful then fallen into disarray. Is this what is going to happen on T2W I wonder.

Socrates: I am sorry but I don't quite understand entirely. Are your comments directed at me and the content of the thread that I posted? If so I would like to apologise if any of my comments have offended you.

Thanks

I agree with Glenn,
in that abuse etc from the relative (albeit vocal) minority ought not prevent a genuine poster from contributing - personally, if I genuinely thought I had complete gems to impart rather than the coal I tend to mine - (after significant labour)- then I would persevere until those willing to hear had done so... and to hell with the masses!

I believe you have failed to see the truth, on this occasion, Socrates -

'Perpetual ignorance: Yes, as a consequence of the same sort of stupid question being asked again and again in different guises, despite multiple explanations by others, ad nauseam !'

- the problem here is this, there is no 'truth filter' that can be applied here, the reader has no way of telling the 'truth' from the rubbish, and the result is that newbies repeat the same questions that the last newbie or ten posted, whilst the 'middling sort' is left to choose from 2000 opinions, 1998 of which are at least mistaken.

To throw in the teddy in a fit of pique is understandable, we are all prone to it - a real 'master' will ignore the noise and speak to those willing to listen, which should be a 2 way dialogue as only those unable to adapt - and ultimately improve - will totally ignore whatever comes back from the floor.

I do not accept that T2W has gone beyond the limits and all sensible types have left - I do accept that T2W has a number of traits that need to be addressed if we are to avoid attaining the 'way of the dodo', which probably didn't fare too well in Karate Kid 904. A constant problem on T2W is sorting wheat from chaff, and I find it difficult despite several years of exposure to both.... we should not be surprised, or unable to adapt, if the audience exhibits a certain rowdiness.

I teach Physics to 13-18 year olds - every year I get another bunch in front of me who include those with the IQ of a drainpipe and the ambition of Attilla the Hun (Kill, Mame, or Rape? Decisions, decisions...) I don't give up, and I don't think anyone on T2W should either - those willing to pass knowledge along on T2W will always have a small core of supporters, anyone requiring a majority vote before imparting great truths should have stayed at home in the first place in my opinion...

FWIW, I enjoyed 'Journey' as a thread, but it was heavily regulated and I have some sympathy for those who objected to the heavy handedness that occasionally surfaced from the mods - I have more sympathy for the mods, who I think were placed in an unusual and difficult position. This thread DID cause a new style of regulation to be enacted, purely for that single thread - you enjoyed a unique and privileged position on that thread, and I for one don't think you yourself ended it in as adult a manner as I had expected, the 'bonfire' was completely childish, and for all your criticism of others you have gone down in my esteem as a result... I actually enjoyed your thread, and 'liked' (as much as one can like an email style contact) you as a person, but I think you finished it in a rather immature manner and that saddened me.

Dave

Well, Zenda, you really do seem to have a split personality. I haven't forgotten, even if you have, and others haven't figured it out. Toys and Pram spring to mind. And don't even think about asking me to explain. Or anyone else for that matter. :eek:

Chartman:
"And don't even think about asking me to explain. Or anyone else for that matter."
That's not fair! Was I naive enough to assume people on this site only had one name????
Boy! I've a lot to learn.

P.S what's your system for Asteroids?

Gardan,
In addition to Elder's book I would also recommend:

One technical analysis encyclopedia type book. John Murphy has one or Technical Analysis Explained by Martin Pring. There are also a couple of others. Basically any book that starts with the different types of charts, then goes through chart patterns and indicators, and finishes talking about things like Gann and Elliot Wave analysis. Not that you are going to chose to use everything presented but it is a good idea to get overview of the subject and see which portions you like.

Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom by Van Tharp. This book covers money management and how to judge the profitability of "systems" be they actual systems or discretionary type trades.

Cheers,

TRADERguy

Do traders have any thoughts on who are the good guys-gals /bad guys-gals to watch for on this site ( I appoligise in advance if people think this one may be a bit ambiguous, who knows?)

I'm a bad bast@rd, so watch out :devilish:

Nice to see you back Soc ;)

Traderguy: Thanks, I had some advice to purchase "Murphys" Tech Analysis to Financial Markets. I am half way through this book and must say I think it's great and I have learnt a lot about the basics and I am referencing the book to charts on my system, which seems to help things sink in a little easier . I will take a look at the Van Tharp book you have mentioned,thanks.
I must admit the more I learn, the less I know. As is true with most things in life.

Thanks Again

Oatman: I recieved tons of PM's about you and everyone said you was the Nicest most Cuddly'est guy on the site.

Oatman: I recieved tons of PM's about you and everyone said you was the Nicest most Cuddly'est guy on the site.
True :LOL:
How many PMs? ;)

Gardan- just a bit of juck. Now I rarely get over 40K. I think the software must have changed slightly..... I used to get 100K easily.

Oatman: To many to count at least a hundred,mostly from females too!

Chartman: Your too modest!