buying Chinese stocks

eoincasey

Anyone know how you go about doing this? Through normal Euro/US stockbrokers? Any brokers in particular worth looking at for this purpose?

Although I am not an expert on China I think its very difficult to trade Chinese Stocks that are listed domestically. The only way I know you can trade them is through a QFII like Goldmans for example. They are bascially allotted an exposure entitlement - they are always full up on this exposure. This is what i know just as general informaiton:

- Two Chinese stocks markets:
o Shanghai Stock Exchange
o Shenzhen Stock Exchange
- Three types of shares listed in Chinese Stock Exchanges:
o A-Shares (RMB denom equity) - domestic investors / foreign investors through QFII facility (mkt cap approx $380bn, 1345 companies, 820 on Shanghai, 530 on Shenzhen)
o B-Shares - $denom in Shanghai / HK$ denom in Shenzen - domestic/foreign investors (Mutual fund prohibited)
o H-Shares - Chinese companies incorporated in mainland, listed in HK (H-share and Red Chip kt cap approx $385bn)
o Red Chips – companies owned by mainland entities, incorporated and listed in HK.

H-Shares are you best bet...not sure how you would trade these though...hope this helps
- Some companies have both H-share and A-share listings.

Thanks for the info mate, appreciate it. Am planning on buying some ICBC stock after the recent IPO.

Although I am not an expert on China I think its very difficult to trade Chinese Stocks that are listed domestically. The only way I know you can trade them is through a QFII like Goldmans for example. They are bascially allotted an exposure entitlement - they are always full up on this exposure. This is what i know just as general informaiton:

- Two Chinese stocks markets:
o Shanghai Stock Exchange
o Shenzhen Stock Exchange
- Three types of shares listed in Chinese Stock Exchanges:
o A-Shares (RMB denom equity) - domestic investors / foreign investors through QFII facility (mkt cap approx $380bn, 1345 companies, 820 on Shanghai, 530 on Shenzhen)
o B-Shares - $denom in Shanghai / HK$ denom in Shenzen - domestic/foreign investors (Mutual fund prohibited)
o H-Shares - Chinese companies incorporated in mainland, listed in HK (H-share and Red Chip kt cap approx $385bn)
o Red Chips – companies owned by mainland entities, incorporated and listed in HK.

H-Shares are you best bet...not sure how you would trade these though...hope this helps
- Some companies have both H-share and A-share listings.

Almost correct.:cool: But,

Always a but, if you put H shares (listed in HKSE) together,then I believe you forgot other Chinese stocks listed in the UK,US,Singapore,ect......:cheesy:

I'm wanting to take a closer look at China just now myself but have been finding difficulty getting information and historical data regarding H and B-shares. Does anyone know of any good websites which could aid me? I would be much obliged.

Kind regards

Lauriel

hey guys if you are interested in chinese stock options I suggest you visit a brand new site for option traders: http://www.trader711.com

www.qiquanblog.com

期权在线汇集期权专业人士和民间高手,提供目前最新有关期权的知识和资讯,文章包括、外汇期权、股票期权、商品期权、财经观察等投资者最需要的内容,为您的期权投资提供有价值的参考和资讯。

I found an informed Chinese American Robert Hsu who sells advice on China equities. I joined up for $150 a year for his monthly newsletter "China Strategy". He certainly has picked some good ones over the years. HOWEVER I purchased five of his buy recommendations this year CBEH, CHBT, JGBO, YIDA and ONP and sold one of his sell recommendations BIDU. I made no other buys or sells on his recommendation. They have decreased in value since my in April/June/August deals -38%, -42%, -34%, -45%, -61% respectively and BIDU (sold in March 2010) has appreciated from $58 to $104.40 today (78% loss).
Is this (about 50% when averaged)a record or has Robert lost it. The sluggish US market seems to have appreciated some 3-4% in the same period and the Chinese economy is running at about an 8% growth rate. I am sure a random selection of US registered China stocks would beat that easily.
Robert does not respond to emails but he does send them. Recently, he recommended that I buy his "China Edge" Newsletter for $3000 per year.
Can anyone advise of an alternative advisor in the China or India markets?
Jim

Last edited:
I can provide the top list on HKSE shares data from tick to month,and it is free. It is downloardable from a CFD platform.