Best Thread Bund Bobl and Schatz Thread

Can someone enlighten me regarding the spot market of the bund?
Is it traded over the counter or on an exchange?
Where can I get a feed for spot trades?
What is the volume compared to the futures?
Does anyone of you look at the spot market while trading the futures? If so, why?

I'm wondering whether it is possible to have access to the order book composure?

so if there is a 5000 bid sitting @ 1st or 2nd level, I would like to know if that 5000 lot is composed of 10 separate orders, 50, or if its just one person.

Anyone know?

Can someone enlighten me regarding the spot market of the bund?
Is it traded over the counter or on an exchange?
Where can I get a feed for spot trades?
What is the volume compared to the futures?
Does anyone of you look at the spot market while trading the futures? If so, why?

Don't mean to be rude, however if you don't know anything about the underlying instrument then why are you even considering trading it. All the information you could possibly need is on the eurex website...www.eurexchange.com

There is a basket of bonds which are acceptable and various conversion factors are applied to find the CTD. These bonds are traded OTC, price data can be obtained from the likes of Bloomberg. A basis point in the cash market will represent a different amount of ticks for each futures contract.

Don't mean to be rude, however if you don't know anything about the underlying instrument then why are you even considering trading it. All the information you could possibly need is on the eurex website...www.eurexchange.com

There is a basket of bonds which are acceptable and various conversion factors are applied to find the CTD. These bonds are traded OTC, price data can be obtained from the likes of Bloomberg. A basis point in the cash market will represent a different amount of ticks for each futures contract.

Thank you for your reply. I cannot find any information on the underlying on Eurex' website. I also do not intend to trade the underlying, I was just wondering whether it might be helpful looking at the underlying when trading the futures contract. But I am not interested anymore since it's traded OTC since the price and volume is unreliable cannot be known. I've made a little research since posting my question and found out that volume in the underlying is minuscule compared to the futures. Anyway, thanks again.

Does anyone happen to know why the prices of all three futures shot up all at once at around 1700 GMT yesterday? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alright thanks. I thought so too but the two had spoken nearly two hours before the climb so I was curious.

Which of the Bobl and Schatz futures do you find better to trade on a short time frame (e.g. 1 minute charts)?

I was just looking which one to start following, but both have roughly the same volume, and the same tick size. However, on a 60 minute time frame it looks like the Bobl has a greater range, which would make it more suitable to trade on a short-term basis.

Your opinion? :)

Regards,

Jos

Last edited:
I would say the two contracts behave very differently. The market direction is almost always the same. Bobl has a much bigger range, since it's further out on the yield curve. More computers also I believe, so prices could disappear very quickly. In the schatz, if you're scalping, a quick human could have time to react which is not as easy in the bobl. but if you're gonna trade some system and just hit/lift whenever entering or exiting, I guess that doesn't matter.

Which of the Bobl and Schatz futures do you find better to trade on a short time frame (e.g. 1 minute charts)?

I was just looking which one to start following, but both have roughly the same volume, and the same tick size. However, on a 60 minute time frame it looks like the Bobl has a greater range, which would make it more suitable to trade on a short-term basis.

Your opinion? :)

Regards,

Jos

I would definitely go with Bobl because of the larger tick size and range. Need less contracts to trade to meet your risk/reward requirements which saves you commission. Also I find Schatz less predictable then Bund. If you get a lot of on sided trades in the bund, 95% it moves in that direction. In Schatz sometimes you can have someone trading 11k market orders and that bitch does not move.

The bobl and the schatz have the same tick value.

And yeah, if the margin req is the same for bobl and schatz you're probably better of trading the bobl since it moves more.

I would definitely go with Bobl because of the larger tick size and range. Need less contracts to trade to meet your risk/reward requirements which saves you commission. Also I find Schatz less predictable then Bund. If you get a lot of on sided trades in the bund, 95% it moves in that direction. In Schatz sometimes you can have someone trading 11k market orders and that bitch does not move.

Thanks for your comments. :) In my case, then I'll start following the Bobl.

Regards,

Jos

Does anyone have any idea why the Bobl and Bund fell like a lead baloon today? I would of lost a fair chunk of my account if I hadn't got out this morning from a buy on the 20th.

Does anyone have any idea why the Bobl and Bund fell like a lead baloon today? I would of lost a fair chunk of my account if I hadn't got out this morning from a buy on the 20th.

Fairly sure it was because Obama was talking about his financial stimulus plan. Bond prices dropped rapidly and all of the major indices were up by 9-10% on that day.