Brent vs WTI

Hi Cinno...U must also have a look at The USOF..Its an exchange traded fund ..its a long only fund and it is required by the regulator to publish the date at which it will roll over every month..Major movements in Wti spreads result because of them rolling over..

Hi Cinno...U must also have a look at The USOF..Its an exchange traded fund ..its a long only fund and it is required by the regulator to publish the date at which it will roll over every month..Major movements in Wti spreads result because of them rolling over..

Thanx de_cooky. I'm aware of the USOF alright & their decision to roll over 4 days since March. Strange decision now that the USOF roll & the GSCI roll clash with each other. I was hoping somebody might have an idea of when the big investment banks roll their positions in Brent & WTI. Although I'm sure it's not common knowledge! Anybody?

there is a calender somewhere which has all the roll dates. i am looking for this, if anyone has a copy of it i would love one. I ve been playing the DB rbob roll this week

Is there any benefit to trading Brent over WTI?
Is Brent during London hours only?

Its priced Wti over brent, both of which trade 1am --11pm although the majority of trading takes place between 10am ->7.30pm. ive been trading it for the past 4 years and the best way to trade is by using the exchange traded spread, usually a tick wide with no possiblility of getting legged

The difference is again getting wider. Now about 2.80. Does anyone have any views if this difference tends to get smaller or larger towards the end of monthly contracts, or there is no correlation at all.

not really any correlation mate. word is this is gunna widen some more too

Spreads are cheap but you must buy more , to win the same money as in trading .
On CME they got spreads for calendar months but not for WTI against Brent .
I think it's not effective to trade spreads , because the wins are too small .
So if you built your own spread take care that you could sell both at time , before your
win is taken for bad price given on late fills .....:mad:
This experiments too hot for me .....

Have fun trade demo :clover:
The difference is again getting wider. Now about 2.80. Does anyone have any views if this difference tends to get smaller or larger towards the end of monthly contracts, or there is no correlation at all.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been commented on for a while and the spread is getting wider. When I posted back in December 2009 the spread was 2.80 and now the April 2011contact the spread is 14.30 (apparently the March contract which has expired touched 18.20 at one point). I wish I had listened to umm and played this long all along :)

I understand there is a great concerned about Egypt and the Suez and that the mid west oil can't get to the Gulf except in tankers.

Some commentators say we've come to the point where there is a value in doing this:
"...According to Bloomberg, stockpiles at Cushing, the delivery point for the New York Mercantile Exchange contract, rose to a record 38.3 million barrels at the end of January, prompting shippers to put oil on trucks and rail cars for deliveries to the Gulf of Mexico..."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busine...+levels+ever/4282012/story.html#ixzz1Dywraq45

WHICH WAY WILL THIS GO FROM HERE?

As I speak April brent/ti is trading around 16bucks. is anyone playing this? Im thinking short april brent, long april crude. or I may do the whole june/dec piece.

historically this spread always blows back in, but before it does I may have to take some pain. it could easlily blow out to 25 ish!!!!

anyone any thoughts?