Breakout Trading using Time and Sales

You're very welcome :)
I took a 17c bite out of LNC.
Someone has sent me an email basically calling me a liar about trading ABB and saying I'm raining on your parade.
In case anybody else thinks that I'm showing a screen shot of my broker window as a one off as I really don't have to prove anything to anybody, but maybe he has a point about this being your journal and so I won't post here again. Sorry.
Good trading to you, amit.
Best wishes,
Richard

Hi Richard!

I am surprised you are listening to this person. Do not let the good flow stop.
anyway, if someone does not believe or just don´t want to read it, the solution is simple, do not take a look at the thread and let the rest enjoy and even learn from the good comments and viewpoints.
And as you have done before with insulting people, just ignore them. I am very happy reading your and Amits threads, which I consider very full of good info.

Congratulation to both of you.(y)

Another day with a lot of stocks to watch. Some of the noteable ones include: MGM, LVS, CVX, MON, MXIM, and NVTL.

Market is general is falling like a rock which helping my MON trade.

Price currently at 67.35

Closed half my position at 67.38.

Usually when prices fall this fast, there's an equally fast retracement to follow. We'll see what happens with my remaining position.

Position closed at 67.30 due to significant buying pressure on the Time and Sales.

Hi Amit,
Any chance of some charts showing entry and exit (a la Mr. Charts) - a picture paints a thousand words etc. Lots of peeps won't have access to data for U.S. equities but, nonetheless, will be interested in your journal and the only way that they'll see the trade is if you post a chart of it here. On the other hand, perhaps you think there's little point as you appear to be more of a tape reader than a chart reader?
Tim.

If I understand your question correctly, then check out ACI, AEM, AIXG, and CHK.

Hope it helps,

Amit

How did these stocks perform today?.It is very important for you to know.

What is the net result for the day from the time you posted?Profit for each short and loss for each long?

I asked for stocks in a downward trend .

O D T

Hi Tim,

I did not think of that. I will try to post charts as well now, however, it will have to be after I close a trade. Over the last two days, I've been writing my trade entries and exits moments after entering and exiting my trades. While I am in a trade, as you know, I must manage that trade. But I do understand your point and will post charts as well.

I do pay a significant amount of attention to the tape, but I also place a strong emphasis on the charts. I only take trades on those charts that are clean and trending. By "clean", I mean charts that upon a quick glance, you can tell the direction.

Thanks,

Amit

Hi Amit,
Any chance of some charts showing entry and exit (a la Mr. Charts) - a picture paints a thousand words etc. Lots of peeps won't have access to data for U.S. equities but, nonetheless, will be interested in your journal and the only way that they'll see the trade is if you post a chart of it here. On the other hand, perhaps you think there's little point as you appear to be more of a tape reader than a chart reader?
Tim.

Hi ODT,

These were just a few of the stocks I had on my watch list today. I'm not quite sure what it is you are asking, but most of those stocks are down currently as the whole market in general has experienced significant selling pressure.

Here are the results of the trades I took today:

MON: +45 cents per share
X: +5 cents per share
AEM: +3 cents per share
CHK: -5 cents per share

Net result: +48 cents per share

I did not take any long positions, all of my trades today were shorts. No point in going against the markets trend as it decreases the probability of a trade working out.

I stopped trading just before 1:00pm EST which is why I only had 4 trades for the day.

Amit

How did these stocks perform today?.It is very important for you to know.

What is the net result for the day from the time you posted?Profit for each short and loss for each long?

I asked for stocks in a downward trend .

O D T

Last edited:
MON Trade

Here is a picture of my MON trade. The NYSE E-Mini Futures were falling sharply at the time I took this trade, which increased the probability of this trade working out.

Time and Sales was showing excellent momentum just prior to the breakout.

I wrote the details of the trade incorrectly on the attached picture. It should be as follows:

Entry @ 67.80
Half-Position Exit @ 67.38
Remaining Half-Position Exit @ 67.30 (as can be seen on the picture from the red cross hairs)

Stock did go to my original target of 67.00, but from experience, I know that as stocks fall this fast, there's usually an equally large retracement. No point in waiting to see what it does and hoping your profits won't disappear. There was money on the table and I took it off. :)

Amit

Attachments

• MON.jpg
    MON.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 367
Hi ODT,

These were just a few of the stocks I had on my watch list today. I'm not quite sure what it is you are asking, but most of those stocks are down currently as the whole market in general has experienced significant selling pressure.

Amit

If you had taken short positions at time of your posting your response to my question,on stocks already in a downward trend prior to yesterday,what would be your net position today in p/l?

Hi ODT,

I have sent you a PM regarding your question.

Amit

If you had taken short positions at time of your posting your response to my question,on stocks already in a downward trend prior to yesterday,what would be your net position today in p/l?

Earnings season is still kicking with good force. Monday looks promising. Some of the names that may present good moves are F, CLX, DF, APC, and VMC. There should be a few other as well. We'll see tomorrow morning!

Amit

Watching HGSI with a view of taking a long. High of Day = 26.20. Previous days high = 26.21

If the stock breaks previous days high, then it will be making all-time highs. Thus, there could be many buy-stop orders above the previous days high which could effectively act to drive the stock price higher.

Target entry: 26.25 if Time and Sales confirms momentum.

Also, since HGSI is a NASDAQ stock, I'll be keeping an eye on the Nasdaq E-mini futures. They failed to go below todays low and are on the way back up which could help HGSI continue higher if it breaks out.