Brain Teaser

err...

so originally you can't see into the room, and you have 3 switched (with 3 lightbulbs?). You can turn them on or off as many times as you like, but you can only look in the room once - and can't reach to turn any swithces when you're in the room... then you can leave the room, do whatever you want with the switches, but aren;t allowed back into the room to see the changes?

Unless it's a "trick" question like "open the door, put a mate in and get him to shout", I can't see how it can be done. If you can't see the changes of turning the switches on and off, you can't deduce anything.

think man think!:cheesy:

I hope most of your stuff doesn't get done in Huis Clos.

l'enfer, c'est les autres

And it is still on the conveyor belt.
There was I, thinking myself to be a lone voice of sanity in a wilderness of confusion, stupidity and ignorance. Then I got to thinking, Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness, sorry, wrong script....

MrGecko (or was it that infidel Arabian?) - might be an idea to resurrect that teaser as there's a whole new bunch (to me anyway) on here that have yet to show their colours...

you can touch but you cant switch :cheesy:

This was a clue right? You can touch the lightbulbs to see if they are hot? (i.e. the were on). If so, (and assuming all the switches work properly)...

Set the switches to:

A. ON
B. OFF
C. OFF

and leave them for long enough for them to be hot... then do

A. ON --> OFF
B. OFF --> ON
C. OFF --> OFF

which should mean

A= HOT but OFF
B = ON but COOL
C = OFF and COOL

and match them up.

how do you know which way turns the switch on or off from outside the room?

I just assumed they are labelled, and that none of teh switches are faulty.

If they aren't labelled then I don't think you could do it my way AND tell which switch was attached to which lightbulb.

... unless the on/off positions were the same for all 3 switches, in which case you could tell from light bulb that is either VERY HOT and ON or COOL and OFF that the switch you didn't move was either ON or OFF... but you would have to know that all switched were set the same way

I do hope these individuals switching lights on and off are fully qualified, certificated and backed by an experienced and authorised team acceptable to the Health and Safety Executive.