Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

:eek:Hi all,
I would REALLY encourage anyone to check Bob Volman's last chart from his 41st week. He goes in depth about the EUR/USD's dull market and talks a little about contrarian range trades, which should be explored...
Have a good week y'all!

PS: I did not post this week as I had to deal with emotional issues :eek::eek: ... I blew 35% of my account! This was caused by a small series of losses that threw me into some dark emotional reflexes, taking trades were there was none, raising volume and the whole chabang of stupid dummy's mistakes. I a looking forward to this week with a fresh mind. It will take me some time to regain my losses, but this is the price of mental weaknesses in this game :p

Peace!

I am slowly getting my head above the water after my terrible week 41...
below you will find my trades from Monday to today. (I post whenever I remember to do it;)
I find it very hard to trade these days. The ranges almost never crack from the borders but from within....and when I trade IRBs I pick the wrong ones. Continuation trades are gamble too.... I am starting to try to develop a system to trade contrarian trades (buy lows and sell highs) of ranges. But I still have to figure out a good entry and exit plan... we will see. Has anyone of you developed some contrarian setups that you use?
Hope you are all having a great week.

Attachments

• EUR1.png
    EUR1.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 440
  • EUR2.png
    EUR2.png
    23 KB · Views: 297
  • EUR3.png
    EUR3.png
    22 KB · Views: 339
  • EUR4.png
    EUR4.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 355
  • GBP.png
    GBP.png
    22 KB · Views: 743
  • JPY6.png
    JPY6.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 277
  • JPY7.png
    JPY7.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 323
I am slowly getting my head above the water after my terrible week 41...
below you will find my trades from Monday to today. (I post whenever I remember to do it;)
I find it very hard to trade these days. The ranges almost never crack from the borders but from within....and when I trade IRBs I pick the wrong ones. Continuation trades are gamble too.... I am starting to try to develop a system to trade contrarian trades (buy lows and sell highs) of ranges. But I still have to figure out a good entry and exit plan... we will see. Has anyone of you developed some contrarian setups that you use?
Hope you are all having a great week.

"Has anyone of you developed some contrarian setups that you use?"
Yes.

What do you mean by contrarian?

with your trades - WHY did you enter at the price and time in that direction? and why did you exit at that price and time?

"and when I trade IRBs I pick the wrong ones". Why?

"The ranges almost never crack from the borders but from within."- Have you looked at the Dax or the Dow?. Do you understand volume?

"Continuation trades are gamble too". -Are all continuation trades a gamble? They look good in hindsight, and sell books. Do you understand market profile?

"I am starting to try to develop a system"- Good luck, I honestly wish you success, it is not an easy task. What is it about the volman system that made you believe that it is profitable?

differences between good and excellent FX tick feed

Hi,
I'm going to try myself at Bob Volmans method with n-tick chart. I'd like to hear from you what tick feeds (and charting platforms) do you use.

My concern is that I might get a plain bid & ask feed, without clear commitment from supplier what is a tick: a trade happened at specific price or just a change of bid or ask on top of the book.

I'm especially interested to know if there are affordable feeds with last traded price.

My small research so far was:
TrueFX - top of book bid & ask only; their network only; available for free
ProRealTime - got no answer from them if it's last traded price what they feed
CQG - saw "last traded" in description, but can't see if one can subscribe to them as data feed only provider
IQFeed - has fxcm-only (cheaper) and aggregated (costs more) options, also got no answer if last traded is shown
Dukascopy and LMAX show the book, but again I could not see if I get last traded
Kinetick - unclear description
Tenfore - aggregated; same question

Hi,
I'm going to try myself at Bob Volmans method with n-tick chart. I'd like to hear from you what tick feeds (and charting platforms) do you use.

My concern is that I might get a plain bid & ask feed, without clear commitment from supplier what is a tick: a trade happened at specific price or just a change of bid or ask on top of the book.

I'm especially interested to know if there are affordable feeds with last traded price.

My small research so far was:
TrueFX - top of book bid & ask only; their network only; available for free
ProRealTime - got no answer from them if it's last traded price what they feed
CQG - saw "last traded" in description, but can't see if one can subscribe to them as data feed only provider
IQFeed - has fxcm-only (cheaper) and aggregated (costs more) options, also got no answer if last traded is shown
Dukascopy and LMAX show the book, but again I could not see if I get last traded
Kinetick - unclear description
Tenfore - aggregated; same question

Hi MaxMnn, I am trying to trade with BV style with OANDA via the API. I had to setup my chart to 34 ticks instead of 70 in order to look like BV charts. Indeed I have much less ticks than he has but it is feasible though. Cheers.

"Has anyone of you developed some contrarian setups that you use?"
Yes.

What do you mean by contrarian?

with your trades - WHY did you enter at the price and time in that direction? and why did you exit at that price and time?

"and when I trade IRBs I pick the wrong ones". Why?

"The ranges almost never crack from the borders but from within."- Have you looked at the Dax or the Dow?. Do you understand volume?

"Continuation trades are gamble too". -Are all continuation trades a gamble? They look good in hindsight, and sell books. Do you understand market profile?

"I am starting to try to develop a system"- Good luck, I honestly wish you success, it is not an easy task. What is it about the volman system that made you believe that it is profitable?

Hey TheDawgee,

You know, first I am no professional... I am just trying to make consistent trades. Based on that, I have difficulties in some areas that I am working on. First, I trade only forex (mainly the EUR/USD and USD/JPY). Then, yes, there is a lot of false breaks in the EUR and IRBs are hard to hop on.
Now that you seem so enlightened (as usual), please post some of your trades too (I asked that a few times from you...)

What I meant by contrarian trades are buying straight into support in a sell off, or at the very bottom of a range without waiting for a setup to appear (or vis versa)....you know, contrarian style.
Thank you for saying that you use contrarian methods without going any deeper, that helps a lot.

And no, all continuation trades are not gambles. Again this is a thread focused on the 70 tick Eur/Usd, and right now, there are few continuations happening.

Yes I strongly believe that Bob's system (which is not really a system, but just a way of reading price action) is profitable when really mastered. How do I know? I had very good weeks with this system, and most of my bad weeks were related to my own errors (very often emotional response...).

Now, as you can see from all the prior posts, we try to elevate the discussion. Posting our trades, giving our opinion etc... Please do so. And if you despite Bob's system and see him as a scam, there are plenty of other threads around.

Peace

Kulpio

Hi MaxMnn, I am trying to trade with BV style with OANDA via the API. I had to setup my chart to 34 ticks instead of 70 in order to look like BV charts. Indeed I have much less ticks than he has but it is feasible though. Cheers.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, bm842
Just for sake of completeness and by no means a recommendation - still have to try it out myself. Pepperstone has 0.6pip roundturn comission (min account 1k$), fxmtf 0.5pip (min account 200$); both have no spread mark-up (they just present the current market spread to you, starting from 0pip).

Hey TheDawgee,

You know, first I am no professional... I am just trying to make consistent trades. Based on that, I have difficulties in some areas that I am working on. First, I trade only forex (mainly the EUR/USD and USD/JPY). Then, yes, there is a lot of false breaks in the EUR and IRBs are hard to hop on.
Now that you seem so enlightened (as usual), please post some of your trades too (I asked that a few times from you...)

What I meant by contrarian trades are buying straight into support in a sell off, or at the very bottom of a range without waiting for a setup to appear (or vis versa)....you know, contrarian style.
Thank you for saying that you use contrarian methods without going any deeper, that helps a lot.

And no, all continuation trades are not gambles. Again this is a thread focused on the 70 tick Eur/Usd, and right now, there are few continuations happening.

Yes I strongly believe that Bob's system (which is not really a system, but just a way of reading price action) is profitable when really mastered. How do I know? I had very good weeks with this system, and most of my bad weeks were related to my own errors (very often emotional response...).

Now, as you can see from all the prior posts, we try to elevate the discussion. Posting our trades, giving our opinion etc... Please do so. And if you despite Bob's system and see him as a scam, there are plenty of other threads around.

Peace

Kulpio

"First, I trade only forex (mainly the EUR/USD and USD/JPY)."- Why only forex?

"Then, yes, there is a lot of false breaks in the EUR and IRBs are hard to hop on."
-why are IRB's hard to hop on?

"without waiting for a setup to appear"- would that still be the bob method? or would that be something else?
-your questions to others about contrarian trading, shows that you appear to you see value in doing the exact opposite of what bob advocates. Why do you feel it necessary to develop a trading strategy without using bob's setups, doing the exact opposite to him?

"and right now, there are few continuations happening."- bob has been using this excuse for years now. To what period of time are you referring to by "right now"?

"and most of my bad weeks were related to my own errors (very often emotional response...)."- so bob gets the credit when you do well, but when the market does not go in your favour, you blame your own emotional response, is that correct?

"Now that you seem so enlightened (as usual),"- I am not enlightened, I am just asking questions.

"please post some of your trades too"- they are too contrarian, I do not wait for setups. I like to check bob's charts occasionally in order to make certain that I am doing the opposite. I ask questions to attempt to get a better understanding from others.

Why do you become defensive when asked a question? Why do you feel it necessary to defend bob's method?

The prorealtime platform has an indicator called 'recent executed orders' and ninjatrader has a similar thing. I have displayed actual trades in the past on this forum, using that indicator.
It would appear that there is not any profitable practitioners of this method that are able to display trades, charts or decent explanations. Other than week old hindsight, left side chart trades, that do not show the entry/exit price on the platform, there does not seem to be anything else that is offered for study and development purposes.

"First, I trade only forex (mainly the EUR/USD and USD/JPY)."- Why only forex?

"Then, yes, there is a lot of false breaks in the EUR and IRBs are hard to hop on."
-why are IRB's hard to hop on?

"without waiting for a setup to appear"- would that still be the bob method? or would that be something else?
-your questions to others about contrarian trading, shows that you appear to you see value in doing the exact opposite of what bob advocates. Why do you feel it necessary to develop a trading strategy without using bob's setups, doing the exact opposite to him?

"and right now, there are few continuations happening."- bob has been using this excuse for years now. To what period of time are you referring to by "right now"?

"and most of my bad weeks were related to my own errors (very often emotional response...)."- so bob gets the credit when you do well, but when the market does not go in your favour, you blame your own emotional response, is that correct?

"Now that you seem so enlightened (as usual),"- I am not enlightened, I am just asking questions.

"please post some of your trades too"- they are too contrarian, I do not wait for setups. I like to check bob's charts occasionally in order to make certain that I am doing the opposite. I ask questions to attempt to get a better understanding from others.

Why do you become defensive when asked a question? Why do you feel it necessary to defend bob's method?

The prorealtime platform has an indicator called 'recent executed orders' and ninjatrader has a similar thing. I have displayed actual trades in the past on this forum, using that indicator.
It would appear that there is not any profitable practitioners of this method that are able to display trades, charts or decent explanations. Other than week old hindsight, left side chart trades, that do not show the entry/exit price on the platform, there does not seem to be anything else that is offered for study and development purposes.

Hi TheDawgee,

It seems we started on the wrong foot. I am not defensive when I am asked questions, but I am when I find someone questioning everything from everyone without giving anything in return. So lets start again since you are asking genuine questions. Let me apologies if I seemed a little offensive, but as I said, questions for the sake of questioning does not help, so let's start by having more of a discussion.

I am only on Forex as I don't want to loose myself in thousands of different securities that I have to analyze. I am interested in Price Action and I think there is enough price action going on on the major pairs before getting my head too crowded of too much info. For now I stick to 4-5 pairs.

I am not purely defending Bob's method. I have made good trades following his setups as well as not so good. I think on top of setups and price reading, their is a lot to do with a "feel" that some have honed for their system and it is harder for others to hop on the same system.
This is why I am also looking to other styles. I spend enough time in front of my charts to see some things I should capitalize on: for example more contrarian entries.
No I am not just giving credits to Bob when I have a good trade and blame me on bad ones. It is just that I make mistakes, sometimes dumb one, which I have only me to be blamed for. This why. I am not seeing Bob as a god of price action, I actually think that it misses too many potential trades and that the 10 pip target is not working to become highly profitable.
However, I like to have a fixed bracket to eliminate any greedy wishes. I have found that most of my trades in the last weeks reach 5-6-7 pips of profit only to come back on me and end with a 1-2 pip profit or even loss. From my analysis, a fixed 6 pip target will give me a great win rate... I did that only this week and I am very happy with it.

As you can see, I really like scalping, I don't like staying for hours on end on trades. I hop on and off, but it means I have to stay sharp, have the least of negative emotions influence my trade piking and test test and test.

So please continue to ask questions, but give a little from you too. I had no idea about this 'recent executed orders', I have to check on mt4 if I can do that. I use Prorealtime for charting and mt4 to place my trades.

Please share your contrarian trades, even if you don't wait for setups....I am actually testing a method to hop on countertrades just on touches of a level, without waiting for a bar to be taken off.

"Other than week old hindsight, left side chart trades, that do not show the entry/exit price on the platform, there does not seem to be anything else that is offered for study and development purposes." This what I mean by not helping the discussion. Instead of criticizing (which is what you do here, right?) change this by posting you trades, giving explanation about them and raise the discussion to another level. I'd really like to here you on that.

Best

Kulpio

Hi TheDawgee,

It seems we started on the wrong foot. I am not defensive when I am asked questions, but I am when I find someone questioning everything from everyone without giving anything in return. So lets start again since you are asking genuine questions. Let me apologies if I seemed a little offensive, but as I said, questions for the sake of questioning does not help, so let's start by having more of a discussion.

I am only on Forex as I don't want to loose myself in thousands of different securities that I have to analyze. I am interested in Price Action and I think there is enough price action going on on the major pairs before getting my head too crowded of too much info. For now I stick to 4-5 pairs.

I am not purely defending Bob's method. I have made good trades following his setups as well as not so good. I think on top of setups and price reading, their is a lot to do with a "feel" that some have honed for their system and it is harder for others to hop on the same system.
This is why I am also looking to other styles. I spend enough time in front of my charts to see some things I should capitalize on: for example more contrarian entries.
No I am not just giving credits to Bob when I have a good trade and blame me on bad ones. It is just that I make mistakes, sometimes dumb one, which I have only me to be blamed for. This why. I am not seeing Bob as a god of price action, I actually think that it misses too many potential trades and that the 10 pip target is not working to become highly profitable.
However, I like to have a fixed bracket to eliminate any greedy wishes. I have found that most of my trades in the last weeks reach 5-6-7 pips of profit only to come back on me and end with a 1-2 pip profit or even loss. From my analysis, a fixed 6 pip target will give me a great win rate... I did that only this week and I am very happy with it.

As you can see, I really like scalping, I don't like staying for hours on end on trades. I hop on and off, but it means I have to stay sharp, have the least of negative emotions influence my trade piking and test test and test.

So please continue to ask questions, but give a little from you too. I had no idea about this 'recent executed orders', I have to check on mt4 if I can do that. I use Prorealtime for charting and mt4 to place my trades.

Please share your contrarian trades, even if you don't wait for setups....I am actually testing a method to hop on countertrades just on touches of a level, without waiting for a bar to be taken off.

"Other than week old hindsight, left side chart trades, that do not show the entry/exit price on the platform, there does not seem to be anything else that is offered for study and development purposes." This what I mean by not helping the discussion. Instead of criticizing (which is what you do here, right?) change this by posting you trades, giving explanation about them and raise the discussion to another level. I'd really like to here you on that.

Best

Kulpio

"I think there is enough price action going on on the major pairs before getting my head too crowded of too much info. For now I stick to 4-5 pairs."
- 4-5 instruments should be more than enough. I only trade two.

"I had no idea about this 'recent executed orders', I have to check on mt4 if I can do that. I use Prorealtime for charting and mt4 to place my trades."
- it is not the same on mt4. It will not work. You can drag and drop the trades onto the chart, but it has to be done manually, and it can't be believed, because it might not include all the trades that were placed.

"Other than week old hindsight, left side chart trades, that do not show the entry/exit price on the platform, there does not seem to be anything else that is offered for study and development purposes." This what I mean by not helping the discussion".
- it could be argued that this is the only discussion happening on this forum, with the exception of bob's week old hindsight charts.

"Instead of criticizing (which is what you do here, right?) change this by posting you trades, giving explanation about them and raise the discussion to another level. I'd really like to here you on that."
-Why would you ask me to show trades, in hindsight, that are contrary to bob's logic? .... I have requested that anyone, show anything, in relation to this method, being a profitable way of trading. There has not been anybody, that has posted anything of quality on this forum for a very long time. It has just been inexperienced amateurs, showing themselves to be just that.:cry::confused:.

There has not been one single occasion when bob has used the 'recent executed orders' indicator on prorealtime. I assume that he uses it to trade, although we can never know. He does however, mention in both books, how prorealtime is his preference. Placing that indicator, as opposed to just manually placing an arrow, would show that an actual trade had been placed. It is very easy to manually place an arrow -up where the market goes up, or down if it goes down, or to say skip if it does not follow through. Why say skip and then not give any further explanation. Is it that feel thing that he talks about, a convenient line used to diffuse logical questions.

Sometimes it is good to trade during lunch time and other times not so. When the charts show blatant contradictions, why is there never a reasonable explanation?.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 422
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
There has not been one single occasion when bob has used the 'recent executed orders' indicator on prorealtime. I assume that he uses it to trade, although we can never know. He does however, mention in both books, how prorealtime is his preference. Placing that indicator, as opposed to just manually placing an arrow, would show that an actual trade had been placed. It is very easy to manually place an arrow -up where the market goes up, or down if it goes down, or to say skip if it does not follow through. Why say skip and then not give any further explanation. Is it that feel thing that he talks about, a convenient line used to diffuse logical questions.

Sometimes it is good to trade during lunch time and other times not so. When the charts show blatant contradictions, why is there never a reasonable explanation?.

Care to share your statistics for the last 2 months ?
I am a trader that have benefited greatly from PA books like Volman's and AL's, but failure to produce long-term consistent (6 Month+) results have made me skeptical about trading..
Even though I have months stretches of 100-200+ pips (in 20+trades) with very little (relatively) draw downs less than 70 pips.
I want to reach that 80% trade profitability with 1:1 risk, as mentioned in the authors books and have failed miserably.

Care to share your statistics for the last 2 months ?
I am a trader that have benefited greatly from PA books like Volman's and AL's, but failure to produce long-term consistent (6 Month+) results have made me skeptical about trading..
Even though I have months stretches of 100-200+ pips (in 20+trades) with very little (relatively) draw downs less than 70 pips.
I want to reach that 80% trade profitability with 1:1 risk, as mentioned in the authors books and have failed miserably.

My results are not indicative of bob's or al's methods. You said - "I want to reach that 80% trade profitability with 1:1 risk, as mentioned in the authors books." -I cannot do this. It would be good.

You said- "I am a trader that have benefited greatly from PA books like Volman's and AL's"- The books helped me too. especially with the basics. However they should not be sold as methods or strategies, or even as a guide on how to read price action, both authors are overtly subjective, and very good at curve fitting. Neither one has ever showed any results or live trades. If al, or bob, could ever show anything in regards to statistics, results, or even an actual hindsight TRADE, it would be be a start.

Take a moment to read this.-
https://tradingschools.org/reviews/al-brooks-trading/

We do not even know if bob actually trades.

You requested my statistics. Why 2 months? How are my statistics beneficial to you? Do we trade the same instruments? Do we trade at the same times? Do we use the same size stop losses or profit targets? Do we hold for the same periods of time? Do we use the same chart setups? Are there other factors that we respectively consider in addition to price action setups? What else do we each combine with price action for our analysis?

I am not here to prove that this strategy is profitable. I make no claim that I can do anything. I also require more knowledge for my trading. I am not here to prove to you that somebody, somewhere in the world is profitable, or not, with another strategy. How would that help you?. The relevant question to ask - is THIS strategy profitable? , and there has not been one single person (from the entire world) that can show that it is. There has however been many hindsight, and curve fitted attempts to show the trades, and hence support the books.

I just thought it might be interestin to see how you are doing, since I thought you are using his methods.
Anyway, I read on futures.io that some people were profitable usinghis 70 ticks strategy. Another guy that uses his strategy is wallstreet2easystreet.com .

I saw some people who were using a PA strategy derived from his successful on other forums and they did topsteptrader.com combine with really good results.