Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

Hi.

Since I use nt and it was mentioned earlier that their tick charts are unreliable, can anyone suggest a time chart that would come close to the 70 tick chart.

Thank you

Hi Szd,
ProRealTime's are very good 70 tick chars. I haven't tried the tick charts on the last update of NT, on which they said they would correct the issue with the tick charts. When I have some time I'll do the test and post my findings.
The MT4 script for tick charts also works nicely, but you have to keep the platform open all the time.

Hi Szd,
ProRealTime's are very good 70 tick chars. I haven't tried the tick charts on the last update of NT, on which they said they would correct the issue with the tick charts. When I have some time I'll do the test and post my findings.
The MT4 script for tick charts also works nicely, but you have to keep the platform open all the time.

Thank you

Hi Szd,

Which Mt4 script? Thank you.

Which Mt4 script? Thank you.

Hi Fugazsy,
Try the one on this link:
http://www.fxfisherman.com/forums/forex-metatrader/trading-systems/6918-trading-tick-charts-mt4.html
It was long ago, but as far as I remember the EA on FXCM applications worked the best. Browse the MT4 apps from FXCM and you'll find it.
There were others, but I can't find the link right now.
But as I mentioned before, if you're going to use B.V, the best tick charts are PRT. The data source is excellent and the charts are flawless.
Cheers

Opted not to trade yesterday due to low vol + other commitments. Surprising pick-up in today's US morning session given the lack of scheduled news flow. Thanks BoJ!

Attachments

• 2015-07-21-1.png
    2015-07-21-1.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 2015-07-21-2.png
    2015-07-21-2.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2015-07-21-3.png
    2015-07-21-3.png
    123 KB · Views: 126
My 2 cents on the tick chart discussion - a tick chart from your broker will not show the same data as PRT. PRT pulls from *multiple* sources and so shows more ticks. I definitely recommend PRT since it gives you a better view of price action and, if nothing else, will help you keep your broker honest.

JRS

My 2 cents on the tick chart discussion - a tick chart from your broker will not show the same data as PRT. PRT pulls from *multiple* sources and so shows more ticks. I definitely recommend PRT since it gives you a better view of price action and, if nothing else, will help you keep your broker honest.

JRS

Can't agree more. Another thing I found useful (at least for me) is that though everybody talks about 10,000 hours, very few mention the importance of feedback from a coach - so the best I could do is to go bar by bar in PRT during the European sessions (which I don't trade) a week later and compare with Bob's charts (remember that the ticks stay for a week, just in time) and get "immediate" feedback from Bob.

It's still not the same as trading in real time but much better than just reading Bob's chart, because it eliminates hindsight bias when you have already seen the outcome. In the past I often found myself entering a position at retrace (meaning, after the actual breakout) but now I usually enter right at break of the barrier.

Hi Szd,

I do not know what the problem is with NT so maybe the problem is the data vendor and not the software. for example I have NT but get my data from CQG and other people might get their data from Kinetick who I suspect is a part of the same company as Ninja Trader.

can you give more detail on what the problem is on NT platform with the tick charts.

CQG has been in the data business for decades. at least 35 years and more. they should have pretty good data. Kinetick I think is a newbie and might have data problems.

I have looked at some large tick charts of thousands of ticks and they look OK. but I have no idea how to test them out. or what to look for. I have no idea what the problem is. all I know is people here say that they are not working correctly whatever that means.

What about Esignal guys? I got used to it while trading futures. How does its forex tick data compare to PRT?

Last edited:
I do not know what the problem is with NT so maybe the problem is the data vendor and not the software. for example I have NT but get my data from CQG and other people might get their data from Kinetick who I suspect is a part of the same company as Ninja Trader.

can you give more detail on what the problem is on NT platform with the tick charts.

CQG has been in the data business for decades. at least 35 years and more. they should have pretty good data. Kinetick I think is a newbie and might have data problems.

I have looked at some large tick charts of thousands of ticks and they look OK. but I have no idea how to test them out. or what to look for. I have no idea what the problem is. all I know is people here say that they are not working correctly whatever that means.
Hi Jingles, I had explained the issue before but can't find the post.
Anyway, (in NT7) run the 70 tick charts side by side with PRT. After some 30 min - 1 hour, you'll notice the difference between them. But if you reload the NT chart it will look the same as PRT! Long story short, I reported the issue to NT development and they acknowledged the issue and the fact that on that version tick charts are not represented accurately on real time. It's not data feed related. If you find my earlier post you can find more details there.

Only took one trade in today's ranging US session.

Attachments

• 2015-07-22-1.png
    2015-07-22-1.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 2015-07-22-2.png
    2015-07-22-2.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 2015-07-22-3.png
    2015-07-22-3.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 158
Hello all,

I am trading the 5-min trade with the method described in Volman's Understanding Price Action (UPA). JRS told me that most here are trading the 70-tick from Forex Price Action Scalping, but there might be some interest in someone trading the 5-min.

Decided to go ahead and post my trades here from the 5-min UPA method. If anyone is interested, would you prefer I post to this thread, or start a new thread specific to Volman's UPA?

Hello all,

I am trading the 5-min trade with the method described in Volman's Understanding Price Action (UPA). JRS told me that most here are trading the 70-tick from Forex Price Action Scalping, but there might be some interest in someone trading the 5-min.

Decided to go ahead and post my trades here from the 5-min UPA method. If anyone is interested, would you prefer I post to this thread, or start a new thread specific to Volman's UPA?

I trade both the 70 tick and the 5 min time frames according to each of BV's books. I wouldn't mind if you posted charts from the 5 min UPA method here.

Hello everybody. My first post here. I purchased both Bob Volman's books and have started to read the first one. So far I like what I see. I will take my time and study the charts kindly provided in this thread as well. I suppose I still have a fair amount to go LOL
Meanwhile I would like to suggest something about tick charts, although I see the "experts" here have already expressed their opinion: one more datafeed that is possible to use is sierracharts, which provides a full month trial and would be much cheaper than PRT. I'm attaching side by side a chart from PRT and one from SC (the latter set to 150 ticks). It's obvious there is some difference, but do you guys think this would actually affect the overall system performance? Inputs are more than welcome of coyurse. Thanks

P.S. - I was forgetting: the horizontal grid is set to 10 fixed pips on SC while I don't know how to set it on PRT where it currently shows 5 pips.

Attachments

• tick.png
    tick.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 214
P.S. - I was forgetting: the horizontal grid is set to 10 fixed pips on SC while I don't know how to set it on PRT where it currently shows 5 pips.[/QUOTE]

To set the scale on PRT do this:

Step 1 - left click on the chart and move it around (up, down, left, & right), the chart may or may not re-scale on it's own.

Step 2 - left click on the price axis and move the scale up or down as needed

If you skip step 1 and go straight to step 2 then the chart will re-scale throughout the day

Hi fxonly, one tip I can give regards using SC, use the study ' Round Price Bars to Tick Size' in order to display full pips instead of the pipettes.

Hi fxonly, one tip I can give regards using SC, use the study ' Round Price Bars to Tick Size' in order to display full pips instead of the pipettes.

Wow, thank you very much. I didn't know of that study. Charts look even more similar now. :)

P.S. - I was forgetting: the horizontal grid is set to 10 fixed pips on SC while I don't know how to set it on PRT where it currently shows 5 pips.

To set the scale on PRT do this:

Step 1 - left click on the chart and move it around (up, down, left, & right), the chart may or may not re-scale on it's own.

Step 2 - left click on the price axis and move the scale up or down as needed

If you skip step 1 and go straight to step 2 then the chart will re-scale throughout the day
Thanks. Set it to 10 pips for now.

Hi Jingles, I had explained the issue before but can't find the post.
Anyway, (in NT7) run the 70 tick charts side by side with PRT. After some 30 min - 1 hour, you'll notice the difference between them. But if you reload the NT chart it will look the same as PRT! Long story short, I reported the issue to NT development and they acknowledged the issue and the fact that on that version tick charts are not represented accurately on real time. It's not data feed related. If you find my earlier post you can find more details there.

how do I do a reload of the NT chart. I am not a computer guy so I have to learn these one thing at a time slowly. I have no idea how to reload a chart. or what you mean by it. is there something simple. does it automatically reload if I shut NT down and boot it back up. but that is very slow and painful to shut down and back up.

thanks for your help