Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

Couple trades today. The first one is aggressive possibly border-line valid, but with the 40s support + 50 vacuum overhead + active market I thought it was justified. Any feedback is appreciated

Second is a fairly textbook RB/ARB.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 7.52.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 7.52.01 AM.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.29.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.29.41 AM.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 190
Couple trades today. The first one is aggressive possibly border-line valid, but with the 40s support + 50 vacuum overhead + active market I thought it was justified. Any feedback is appreciated

Hi JRS
I can see your thinking on the first chart with a retest of the 50 level, but i as well as some others here don't tend to trade continuation setups.
That said i don't like to trade one hour before or one hour after high impact news (as quoted on Forex Factory), because of the potential for volatile moves.
I don't know where i read it maybe Bobs book or whilst rummaging through forums, but it seems to make perfect sense to me.
Has for the second chart i would of been happy with having a go at that one.

Hi JRS
I can see your thinking on the first chart with a retest of the 50 level, but i as well as some others here don't tend to trade continuation setups.
That said i don't like to trade one hour before or one hour after high impact news (as quoted on Forex Factory), because of the potential for volatile moves.
I don't know where i read it maybe Bobs book or whilst rummaging through forums, but it seems to make perfect sense to me.
Has for the second chart i would of been happy with having a go at that one.

Thanks for your comments Yorkshire. I can definitely see the benefit of not trading around news times.

I've noticed that Bob's charts rarely have a FB, SB, or DD too. Even during strongly trending markets where I would think those setups are applicable, it seems Bob sits out a lot of the time.

Thanks BLS
For posting Bob's charts and a spacial thanks to Bob for taking the time to put together all the charts and commentary especially the week 28 summery.:clap::smart:

First one was a bit aggressive for my liking, but well done. I tend to leave those ones alone. Your second trade was a good one. Nice trading.

I took one trade - not a valid one using Bob's method. If I was a little more patient a set-up did develop.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 340
Hey guys,

I am on vacation right now (quite extended) therefore not much time to check out the charts. I did watch the prices yesterday and today.

Only 1 chart today, not very classic either. Question about dojis : is the squeeze valid if the dojis are not on the barrier but slightly lower (in an upward break) ?

Attachments

• 1 - Tuesday.png
    1 - Tuesday.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 191
Hey guys,

I am on vacation right now (quite extended) therefore not much time to check out the charts. I did watch the prices yesterday and today.

Only 1 chart today, not very classic either. Question about dojis : is the squeeze valid if the dojis are not on the barrier but slightly lower (in an upward break) ?

Hi Giorrgi

I think that it would have been alright to draw a secondary line 1 pip below the barrier, if anything there are more touches to a barrier drawn 1 pip lower if you take into account the top of the body's on the two spinning top type of candle's.

Also extending the box to the left three candle's would give you nine possible barrier touches as apposed to six, so in that context
it looks like a false break and a teas break with a beautifully textbook squeeze.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Every moment is unique but I think this kind of situation is tradable, even if the dojis are not squeezing up against the range barrier. Fact is it is still a squeeze and even if entering on the break of the ultimate range barrier it still allows for a 6 or 7 pip stop due to the squeeze formation itself.

Hey guys thanks for the answers.

Hi Giorrgi
I think that it would have been alright to draw a secondary line 1 pip below the barrier, if anything there are more touches to a barrier drawn 1 pip lower if you take into account the top of the body's on the two spinning top type of candle's.

I have found that I get trapped quite a bit by entering too early when I draw a barrier lower than the extremes of the box, especially when the extremes have equal highs/lows.

Got carried away with my self seeing a nice diagonal pull back and a DD form and only 5 pip stop, thought i would have a go.

Attachments

• USD Spot.png17julT2.png
    USD Spot.png17julT2.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 171
Broke two of my rules just there, first don't trade DD (because I'm not very good at judging them) secondly i forgot the time and a few moments later saw price rise
sharply and realized US new was out( don't trade one hour ether side of high impact news). Never mined back to my D.I.Y list, get some Browne pips from the wife.

Broke two of my rules just there, first don't trade DD (because I'm not very good at judging them) secondly i forgot the time and a few moments later saw price rise
sharply and realized US new was out( don't trade one hour ether side of high impact news). Never mined back to my D.I.Y list, get some Browne pips from the wife.

Hello,
I'm new here and in this method but in my thinking, your DD trade is not valid.
there is a high after the 2 little doji. if this high is one of the DD bar then the signal bar is too early. one doji is missing between.
Maybe more exeperienced members can reply too on this one.
bye

Last edited:
Hey, I don't think that high matters all that much. FB, SB, DDs are momentum trades, as Bob has pointed out on the charts, when the momentum (and the trend) is strong, it's more a question of "getting in" on the ride and the exact entry point can be sometimes a little bit muddy. Here, the fact these dojis didn't have the same highs or the exact same lows doesn't matter all that much, what matters is the strength of the trend and the momentum. Although I guess that if you're aiming for a short, if the retrace is too important (say more than 70% of the initial trend) then the overall conditions aren't so good anymore. I am not saying don't look at the dojis highs/lows (as they play a role in determining the importance of the retrace) but don't give that sole criteria too much importance.

In my opinion this DD didn't work out for exactly the same reason as all of the continuation trades lately (and Bob seldom trades them nowadays so I am not the only one that has noticed these): trends get little follow through after a pullback these days. Instead prices just stall and retrace a little bit more and MAYBE then continue in the direction of the initial trend. In this light it is much more useful to look for a continuation BB after a LENGTHY pullback (in a momentum trade the pullback will be in place after 10-15 minutes or so and will be diagonal; in these continuation block/range situations the pullback is messier and usually takes like an hour to develop).

Also, i think that the RB (the first trade on that chart) was a tease break, prices didn't really halt around the barrier before breaking.

I didn't take any trades yesterday, but there were some candidates so here are the charts.

Attachments

• 4 - Wednesday.png
    4 - Wednesday.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 3 - Wednesday.png
    3 - Wednesday.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 2 - Wednesday.png
    2 - Wednesday.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 161
0 pips – 18 July 2013

Didn’t see any viable setups today so I kept a clean slate. The only case where I felt there was a potential setup was at 1. Here the top of the range that had clustered around 1.3100 was getting squeezed to the topside. The top of the squeeze was one pip below the range high. Coupled with the 00 magnet I felt I needed a stronger setup than that, so I passed.

No trades.

Attachments

• EURUSD_18072013.png
    EURUSD_18072013.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 182
Saw the same setup and didn't take it for the same reason (not very strong squeeze if the barrier is set 1 pip higher than the doji bildup).

Hey, I don't think that high matters all that much. FB, SB, DDs are momentum trades, as Bob has pointed out on the charts, when the momentum (and the trend) is strong, it's more a question of "getting in" on the ride and the exact entry point can be sometimes a little bit muddy. Here, the fact these dojis didn't have the same highs or the exact same lows doesn't matter all that much, what matters is the strength of the trend and the momentum. Although I guess that if you're aiming for a short, if the retrace is too important (say more than 70% of the initial trend) then the overall conditions aren't so good anymore. I am not saying don't look at the dojis highs/lows (as they play a role in determining the importance of the retrace) but don't give that sole criteria too much importance.

In my opinion this DD didn't work out for exactly the same reason as all of the continuation trades lately (and Bob seldom trades them nowadays so I am not the only one that has noticed these): trends get little follow through after a pullback these days. Instead prices just stall and retrace a little bit more and MAYBE then continue in the direction of the initial trend. In this light it is much more useful to look for a continuation BB after a LENGTHY pullback (in a momentum trade the pullback will be in place after 10-15 minutes or so and will be diagonal; in these continuation block/range situations the pullback is messier and usually takes like an hour to develop).

Thank you so much for this answer. it has helped me understand one more (baby) step ahead. Exactly what i am looking for on this thread.

Two charts today, no trades.

Attachments

• 6 - Friday.png
    6 - Friday.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 7 - Friday.png
    7 - Friday.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 172
9.3 pips – 19 July 2013

1trade 1 (9.3 pips) – The dog days of summer certainly seem to be here. 110 degrees in the shade today. The market looked to be as comatose as it was yesterday, but then it happened. A squeeze at the range low at 5:00 EDT just as I was about to shut down for the morning. The lethargic nature of the market and the 1.3120 barrier were on my mind as cons.

The sequence of things that happened at the time of entry fascinated me: I saw price break the range low, giving a RB signal. I hesitated given my concerns about how much follow through there might be. The next tick happened fast; another pip lower. The speed of the that tick triggered something in and I pressed the sell button. I’m not what it triggered. Was it some innate recognition of this being a high probability move or was it just me itching to take a trade?

The speed of the unfolding move meant I lost another two pips on slippage. So I was in with an entry at 1.3120, three pips below where the signal had been given. If I’d been filled at the signal level I would have had my 10 pips of profit on the first push down. Instead I had to wait out a few minutes of consolidation before the next push down happened.

Attachments

• EURUSD_19072013.png
    EURUSD_19072013.png
    54 KB · Views: 178
Hello,
I took the same trade as you except i probably hit the button just a little faster so it hit +10 immediately.
for me, the construction was fine. i was waiting for the break. (EDIT : maybe one or two more dojis would have been preferable but it was enough construction for me)

I took a second one on the pullback because of the .00 magnet. at this moment the entry was 16-17 pips too 1.3100 so i thought it was worse the shot.
This decision was taken in the heat of the moment. I realize now this was probably too agressive. I should have wait for the EMA contact (at minimum). i think that probably a lot of you would have skipped it.
Anyway, i lost my psychological stability at that moment and went out too early.
(2 trades in a row, with a very fast decision to make was probably too much)

ps : 2 pips of slippage in both trade

as usual, i take any comments on those trade. what was your opinion at this moment ?

Attachments

• USD Spot.png
    USD Spot.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited: