Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

Hey datamold,

I mostly agree with the first half of your plan.

The second half, I understand to some extent but I'm not very sure of its usefulness in the long term. The fact that you stop trading if your first trade of the day is a winner, if you hit your target for the week etc. I think everyone's objective here is to train our technical analysis skills and to get a hold of our emotions while trading. The more we trade, the better we should become and stopping to trade simply because you hit your target for the day or for the week means that you will be trading/training less.

Of course it is also true to some extent that once you start accumulating losing trades your judgment will become slightly clouded.

I too am struggling with this, It seems the safer I try to play it, the more disappointing the result. I am surprised at how conservative I find myself trading now that I have gone "Live" and am trading real money. I really thought I had conducted my paper trading as though it were for real. I think Bob had it right when he suggested that you should trade for reel with small lot sizes. There's nothing like the real thing.

For what it's worth I will share my trading plan with the community:

My goal is to earn 20 pip per week
My market is the EUR/USD
My method is the Bob Volman Scalp Trade
I will trade only when I am confident of the dominant market pressure.
I will trade only DD, FB, SB, BB, RB, IRB, and ARB set ups.
I will not take a trade unless the path to profit is clear.
I will trade between the hours of 06:30 and 11:00
I will not multitask
I will fund my account with $500 .
I will trade 10,000 unit lots only until:
A. I am down $250 at which point I will abandon this concept
B. I am up $250 at which point I will fund the account with $2,000 and begin a 1% position sizing strategy.
I will risk 10 pip per trade
I will target 10 pip per trade
I will comply with the following limits:
• If my first trade of the day is a winner I will stop for the day
• If I am up 20 pip for the day I will stop for the day
• If I exceed 15 pip in losses in a day I will stop for the day
• If I have 3 losers in a day I will stop for the day
• If I am up 40 pip for the week I will stop for the week
• If I am down 30 pip for the week I will stop for the week

Hopefully the plan will keep me in the game for 13 weeks at which point I will assess my ability to succeed at this. At this time I am 4 weeks into it and in the red.

Hey Datamold, thank you for being so open and honest with what you are doing.

I think you've got to do whatever works for you. But I do believe the most important thing is sticking with the decisions you have made, in the way of a trading plan, before turning on your platform and entering the fray.

Yes, there is the need to build skills in regard to reading price action, however, IMHO it is the mental/emotional side of things that is by far and away the most difficult to master. Personally, and probably similarly to others who contribute to this forum, I think I have a decent handle on the technical side of things and can spot and enter valid trades in real time. However, it is the way I respond/react to market information and my own behaviour that determines my success.

As such, I have taken to giving myself consequences for breaking rules, or any aspect of my trading plan. For example, as I mentioned before, I'll bar myself from trading for the rest of the session. This can be quite painful when you see a set-up come along you are dying to take and it ends up reaching target. And to prevent the temptation not to follow through on my consequence I will actually close my trading platform and just have my chart up.

I was considering adding to this - like having a cold shower for a minute (and it is winter where I am) but at this stage not being able to trade is painful enough. We'll see about it in the future, depending on the results...

As for stopping trading if your first trade is a winner, stopping if up 20 pip etc... Well, in an ideal world if you're following your trading plan there should be no need to stop trading. However, we're all human, complex and individual, and what works for one may not work for another. I reckon you do what you believe in until your beliefs change, if and when they do.

For me, the most dangerous times are when I have just taken a loss, even if on a valid trade, and when I have decided to skip 2 or 3 trades that ended up reaching target. For the loss taking, I have decided to walk away from my platform for a period of time (15-30 minutes) to regroup and get back into the right state in an attempt to prevent trading on tilt, or revenge trading.

As for skipping profitable trades over a period of time - to help keep in the present, and not drifting back to what I have "missed" and what I "should" have done, I have a meditation chime app on my iphone that I have set up to sound every 15 minutes. When I hear the chime it is a reminder for me to be mindful and I read through 3 or 4 quotes next to my computer that help me to execute my plan. I can't tell you how much this little exercise has helped me improve my behaviour. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps and I hope we all keep this dialogue open, as well as discussing the set-ups of course. Any other thoughts are very much appreciated.

I just watched this webinar and found it very helpful. Thought it might be worth sharing:

Trading Psychology Trading Session: Uncovering the Hidden Influence in Your Trading - Trader Kingdom

I found it more of a 80 minute sales pitch for his course. He provided nothing actionable in all that time. He just raised some questions or poked holes in existing trading axioms and postulated that he had information that could potentially help.

And to be honest, if his 8 hour audio course consisted of that much woffle I don't see how it could be worth $600.

I have a pretty high bar when it comes to any trading material, as there is just too much snake oil out there. This just didn't pass muster.

Some charts from today.

Only the third one seems tradable but it didn't have a great squeeze either.

Why isn't anybody posting charts anymore? Cmon people ! we need opinions on each others trades/charts. Any comments are welcome on that 3 chart (or any other for that matter).

Attachments

• 1 - Monday .png
    1 - Monday .png
    28.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 2 - Monday.png
    2 - Monday.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 3 - Monday.png
    3 - Monday.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 4 - Monday.png
    4 - Monday.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 5 - Monday.png
    5 - Monday.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 194
I found it more of a 80 minute sales pitch for his course. He provided nothing actionable in all that time. He just raised some questions or poked holes in existing trading axioms and postulated that he had information that could potentially help.

And to be honest, if his 8 hour audio course consisted of that much woffle I don't see how it could be worth $600.

I have a pretty high bar when it comes to any trading material, as there is just too much snake oil out there. This just didn't pass muster.

I found it interesting and very helpful, especially the practical suggestions about journaling in relation to your feelings in an attempt to develop self awareness.

Some charts from today.

Why isn't anybody posting charts anymore? Cmon people ! we need opinions on each others trades/charts. Any comments are welcome on that 3 chart (or any other for that matter).

Hi Giorrgi. I visit this site every day, and I can learn some ideas. but actually, I had not traded any market about this for 2weeks. I just came back to market yesterday. because.... my partner gave birth to a daugther of our 2nd child.

by the way, I missed yesterday. I skipped great set up I think.

What do you think about this BB ?

Attachments

• 603.jpg
    603.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I did trading carefully maybe same point as you, RB set up. but I needed exit before target. Just get 4pips profits. After that, I failed again. I think it needs more build up or I should skip.

Attachments

• 603-2.jpg
    603-2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 603-3.jpg
    603-3.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 213
Some charts from today.

Hi Giorrgi, I'll try and be more active in this regard. I was watching the first one unfold and felt it was too early to short that block - the market was too bullish. To expect a 10 pip ride south would be pretty optimistic.

The second trade I took, but yes, I had doubts about shorting in the low of the range. In hindsight I don't think it was a great trade, but perhaps optional.

I was in bed by the time the 3rd one came around, but in hindsight it looks reasonable. Was certainly holding below the 20 level for a decent block before breaking lower again, and with a solid barrier line.

I think the 4th one is super aggressive. I would not take this trade, regardless of the strength of the preceding rally.

As for the 5th one, I think the squeeze before the break was not very pronounced, and you would be longing into previous resistance. However, the 00 level magnet was also looming above. Personal choice I suppose, but I wouldn't take it.

Regards

What do you guys think about this set-up from yesterday? No-one's mentioned yet
and just wondering why?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-06-04 at 3.57.45 PM.jpeg
    Screen shot 2013-06-04 at 3.57.45 PM.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 190
Just caught this trade. Any thoughts?

Perhaps better labelled as an IRB...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-06-04 at 9.02.15 PM.jpeg
    Screen shot 2013-06-04 at 9.02.15 PM.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 235
matty_dunn

The first block : I was watching price action at that point and the only reason why I didn't consider that as a potential setup was, as you pointed out, the thinness of the block/the fact that it was made up of dojis. All the other arguments put forth for that trade are indeed compelling but I'm trying to be cautious for now.

The second trade (the one you just took) doesn't seem valid to me even though it worked out nicely. I think the Ww pattern I like to see wasn't that prominent. Nice catch anyhow. I didn't even see that barrier forming.

garageboyFUJI

First of all congratulations !!!

Your charts are a little bit too squeezed so I'm having trouble analyzing them :/

Edit: something very strange just happened. I was taking a very conventional BB and all of a sudden prices just broke violently in the other direction without any news release or anything.

Was very surprised and slightly upset.

Attachments

• 10 - Tuesday.png
    10 - Tuesday.png
    33 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
garageboyFUJI

First of all congratulations !!!

Your charts are a little bit too squeezed so I'm having trouble analyzing them :/

Edit: something very strange just happened. I was taking a very conventional BB and all of a sudden prices just broke violently in the other direction without any news release or anything.

Was very surprised and slightly upset.

Giorrgi,

Some twitter fellow (Zerohedge) tweeted that the ECB were divided on cutting interest rates further. Caught me too, and hit my 10-pip safety stop for the first time ever with huge slippage - around 17 pip loss, so don't worry. It happens, I guess.

Jeremy

Giorrgi,

Some twitter fellow (Zerohedge) tweeted that the ECB were divided on cutting interest rates further. Caught me too, and hit my 10-pip safety stop for the first time ever with huge slippage - around 17 pip loss, so don't worry. It happens, I guess.

Jeremy

Man that Zerohedge guy must have quite a following ! Thanks for clearing that up. As a result of that failed BB though I just ignored a completely safe RB which I would have normally taken. Guess just have to forget about it. Especially that I'm just paper trading !!

ZeroHedge is a rather large trading news/blog site.

I find ForexLive to be a great resource if you want to find out what news, central banker speak, politicians, economic data, etc. is currently moving the market.

Here's what my trades for today look like (times are in EDT):

EURUSD_04062013.png

EURUSD_04062013b.png

Trade 1: Price was hugging the top of the range and with decent Spanish unemployment numbers having been just released this was an easy RB trade to take.

Trade 2: Took this as a RB after two teases. There was a nice series of higher lows in the range here. Couldn't crack 1.3080 so scratched for -5.2 pips.

Trade 3: Tried for another long RB here. The entry was more an ARB with the new barrier one pip above the range. Scratched again for -5.2 pips. The top of the range was pretty ragged which should probably have stayed my hand.

Trade 4: With a double top now formed at 1.3085 the break out of the bottom of the range here looked to a high probability trade.

I just watched this webinar and found it very helpful. Thought it might be worth sharing:

Trading Psychology Trading Session: Uncovering the Hidden Influence in Your Trading - Trader Kingdom

Thanks for sharing the Webinar link on trading psychology. The speaker made a good case for working on your emotions. I am of the opinion that mastering your feelings is more important than mastering your chart reading skills. That to me would be a true psychological edge indeed. Toward that end I purchased Dr. Van Thorps “Peak Performance Course” I held off on buying it for over a year because it seemed like a bunch of psychobabble and it was expensive at $800 USD. But as I learned more about trading I came to agree with Dr. Tharp’s statement that you don’t trade the markets, you trade your beliefs. Which by the way is in alignment with Mark Douglas’s “Trading in the Zone”. So I bought the course and spent a year working through it. I can say that I did learn a lot about myself and how the brain works and that knowledge has helped me not only in my trading but in my personal life as well.

And thank you for sharing some of your coping skills on taking a loss after skipping several winners. That is tough and it affects me badly too. Your decision to walk away is probably a wise one. And I like your meditation chime prompting you to read a few quotes. Your words triggered an idea for me. On my first reading of Bob’s book I highlighted what I felt were important points ( there are over 120 highlights!). On my second reading I took longhand notes because it helps me learn. The book is so rich I just about filled up a legal pad! On the third reading things began to sink in as I had been paper trading the method for some time. And the forth reading really accented the mistakes I had made. One of the things I have learned about how the brain works is that representing information in other modalities is important. That was mentioned in the Webinar also. That is to say don’t just think a thought or say it in your head, say it out loud or write it down or type it in somewhere. That’s where I am going to begin implementing the Idea you have inspired: When I have a looser after skipping a few winners I too am going to turn off the chart and spend some time typing a few of the hundreds of highlights and notes I have taken from Bob’s book into my computer. Hopefully that will help me to work past having the bad feelings while adding to my knowledge in the process. ( and avoid the dreaded revenge trade!)