Biotech - Alfacel : ticker ACEL

bgold

Established member
Wondered if anyone has come across a (very) small cap names, ACEL www.alfacel.com
It comes recommended as a highly speculative play close to a breakthrough in trials and distribution agreements. Trading at $4, (MCap of $150mm), it might be near events such as signing distribution agreements and/or successful feedback on Trials which could take stock to $10+?

Onconase (ranpirnase), the lead candidate in Alfacell’s pipeline, is the first RNase to reach late-stage clinical development. Onconase is currently being evaluated in a confirmatory, international Phase 3B trial (see below) for the treatment of inoperable malignant mesothelioma (MESO) – both peritoneal and pleural, horrible forms of cancer, and in December 2002 it has received a Fast Track Designation from the FDA. In February 2001, ACEL received an Orphan Medicinal Product Designation for Onconase from the European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products (EMEA), which entitles ACEL to 10 years of marketing exclusivity, reduced filing fees and regulatory guidance.

I have little understanding about RNase drugs but understand that it is a potential major growth area.
http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=11038&hed=Top+10+Trends:+Silencing+the+genes

Before "loading the boat", I look for some guidance on the sector/stock. Anyone among fellow T2W traders with insight into biotechs, RNAi therapies and/or ACEL? I have more info for people interested.

Your observations/comments/insight are much appreciated.

Estimated 5 year growth for biotech in usa is 20%. Individual stocks are a hit or miss affair !

I'd watch the chart for signs of buying also watch the Insiders.

Always watch what insiders are doing on biotech esp around fda approval time. :)

esp imclone martha :)

Knucklehead is correct in that these types of stocks are hit or miss. This one is a hit in my opinion, but I'm predjudiced.
I have owned this stock for almost 10 years now, have participated in private placements of this stock and follow it daily. I now own almost 1% of the company.
You can go to the yahoo investment message boards and read more than 10,000 messages on this stock (many are worthless).