Belflan's US stock swing trades

Glen

You might be interested in the fact that Tradestation are about to bring out a new version that includes simulated trading. I was particularly annoyed yesterday or was it the day before when IB data was not available at all for quite some time. Luckily I'm running a long-term portfolio on that account and using Tradestation for intraday.

Charlton

hi Charlton,

does the simulated trading version cost anything? (i know the full TS8.3 cost about $300 per month unless your trading 5000 shares plus)
Glen

still having problems with 000000000000000's in MACCI's on weak list

Glen

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 12
hi Charlton,

does the simulated trading version cost anything? (i know the full TS8.3 cost about $300 per month unless your trading 5000 shares plus)
Glen
Glen

I very much doubt if it is available free unless they do an edition that allows simulated data off old data for a limited period.

As I said before 5000 shares over a month is not too difficult for day trading or short-term swings i.e about 250 shares (125 shares in a round trip) for pattern day trading (requiring min account balance $25k) and assuming 20 trading days per month. For non-pattern day traders at say 12 trading days spaced out during the month it works out at around 400 shares per trading day (200 in a round trip), but of course you also need to take into account the overall price of this number of shares and the min account balance needed.

Charlton

Glen

I very much doubt if it is available free unless they do an edition that allows simulated data off old data for a limited period.

As I said before 5000 shares over a month is not too difficult for day trading or short-term swings i.e about 250 shares (125 shares in a round trip) for pattern day trading (requiring min account balance $25k) and assuming 20 trading days per month. For non-pattern day traders at say 12 trading days spaced out during the month it works out at around 400 shares per trading day (200 in a round trip), but of course you also need to take into account the overall price of this number of shares and the min account balance needed.

Charlton

thanks for this charlton

Glen

at about 8:00pm macci 10 & 5 min indu o/b

looks like a good scalp entry short

Glen

would have been ok for a short, short scalp. (nothing more)

turn up of the five minute would have been good exit

Glen

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
Have you checked in Globalserver that you have 1-min data for those stocks ?
Glenn

i may be missing something here, but i've got it set to Daily Compression (do i still need min data as well?)

Glen

I've now got Fridays webinar loaded on to my MP3 (to listen to while traveling tomorrow):)

nice one Paul (Trader333) thanks again:)

Glen

dates look a bit funny tho

Data looks ok.
Suggest you plot the MAcci on Daily charts for those '0' symbols - maybe they are genuine 0's.
Also you need to have enough data for Macci to look back at.
If you only have a couple of weeks Daily data, the Macci may not be correct anyway.

Data looks ok.
Suggest you plot the MAcci on Daily charts for those '0' symbols - maybe they are genuine 0's.
Also you need to have enough data for Macci to look back at.
If you only have a couple of weeks Daily data, the Macci may not be correct anyway.

thanks for your help Glenn, I'll look at this,

cheers
glen

I would think that for Macci you will need 30 days of continuous data. ie it is a 5 period average of a 6 length measure which is 30.

Paul

I would think that for Macci you will need 30 days of continuous data. ie it is a 5 period average of a 6 length measure which is 30.

Paul

For a simple moving average, you need a minimum of 6 values of the CCI to start calculating the first average. So the first value for the first average will begin displaying on the 6th value of the data series.

Then you use the data values of the first MA to start calculating the 2nd average. In this way the 2nd MA should start calculating on the 10th value of the original CCI data series. Really you should only need 10 values to start calculating the MACCI.

On my TS I find that I can start seeing the correct plot if I use 12 bars of data. TS seems to do strange stuff for number of bars less than 12! Anyway using a correct value for the bar length will help conserve memory for a large number of stocks....

I haven't got TS but I used Quotetracker to draw CCI 6,5 and the values I got did not correspond with values posted here fo MACCI.

rob

I haven't got TS but I used Quotetracker to draw CCI 6,5 and the values I got did not correspond with values posted here fo MACCI.

rob

rob,
Did you use a Simple Moving Average? I think CCI is a standard function but you do have to smooth it correctly using the right type of MA.
Cheers,
Imran

thanks for your help Glenn, I'll look at this,

cheers
glen

Also remember that for reasons best known to Omega Research, Radar Screen needs more bars of data than a Chart does to produce the same result.
So whilst you might be able to calculate an exact number of bars back by knowing what the indicator is doing, that number of bars may not be sufficient for Radar to calculate the correct answer.
Another idiosyncracy of Tradestation. :rolleyes:

Glenn

Imran,

Yes, I used a simple moving average. I think that is what quotetracker uses. I haven't been able to find a forula for macci - or a clear explanation of how it works.

rob

rob,
The formulae below are for MACCI and CCI (in TS8). Note that the function Average called below is just the simple MA.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Imran

The MACCI indicator:

Inputs:Length1(6), Length2(5);
Vars:CCIval(0),CCIavg(0);
CCIval = CCI(Length1);
CCIavg = average(CCIval, length2);
plot1(CCIavg , "MACCI ");

The CCI function called from the indicator is:

{ Commodity Channel Index }
inputs:
Length( numericsimple ) ; { will get divide-by-zero error if Length = 0 }
variables:
Mean( 0 ),
AvgDev( 0 ),
Counter( 0 ) ;

Mean = Average( H + L + C, Length ) ; { don't have to divide H+L+C by 3, cancels out }
AvgDev = 0 ;
for Counter = 0 to Length - 1
begin
AvgDev = AvgDev + AbsValue( ( H + L + C )[Counter] - Mean ) ;
end ;
AvgDev = AvgDev / Length ;

if AvgDev = 0 then
CCI = 0
else
CCI = ( H + L + C - Mean ) / ( .015 * AvgDev ) ;