& 10min macci turning north

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 4
started shorting again when 10min macci turn down again, 30min also turning down from O/B, so a thought it would be ok to start shorting weak stocks..

started to short RIG and WFT as they were weak (sold off in morning sessions)
as it turn out they both had very strong afternoon sessions, so it looks now like I was chasing RIG until close.

belflan

WFT = -$427
RIG = - $543

running total = $1,249

Attachments

• RIG 1st May 2008.JPG
    RIG 1st May 2008.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 4
  • WFT 1st May 2008.JPG
    WFT 1st May 2008.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 4
  • INDU 1st May 2008.JPG
    INDU 1st May 2008.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 8
  • Trades 1st May 2008.JPG
    Trades 1st May 2008.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
difficult day to trade

the stocks RIG and WFT (both showing weakness in 1st sess) did almost the opposite of the market.

belflan

Attachments

• INDU 1min 1st May 2008.JPG
    INDU 1min 1st May 2008.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 3
Belflan,

One way to keep yourself out of trades fighting the trend on strongly trending days is to look at the market delta - the difference between the number of contracts traded at the ask and contracts traded at the bid. I believe that a chart with constant volume bars (rather than the more conventional constant time) is better for this purpose. Attached is a chart of the ES with 13000 contract bars (13000 is NOT a magic number). The second from top plot is the market delta smoothed with an 8 EMA. Ignore all the other squiggly bits. When the market is showing a consistantly very strong or very weak delta be very cautious of any OB/OS indicator or be prepared to get out quickly.

Attachments

• es_13000contracts_20080501.png
    es_13000contracts_20080501.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 22
Hi dc,

thanks for your post.

is this the plot your discussing above?

I'm a little unsure of what its showing us. Is the green bars volume traded at Ask, therefore traders, MM's need to be buying, therefore they don't mind trading at the Ask rather than wait for their limit Bids to be hit? and vice versa for the red bars..

no, don't think i'm picking this up correctly.. It's the difference between the contracts traded at bid and ask.. so if there'ss 2000 contracts trades at the bid and 2500 contracts at the ask the bar would be positive (green) by 500?

where does the 13,000 come in?

sorry dc, i'm not sure if i'm picking this up correctly

thanks for your help
belflan

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 4
Hi dc,

thanks for your post.

is this the plot your discussing above?

I'm a little unsure of what its showing us. Is the green bars volume traded at Ask, therefore traders, MM's need to be buying, therefore they don't mind trading at the Ask rather than wait for their limit Bids to be hit? and vice versa for the red bars..

no, don't think i'm picking this up correctly.. It's the difference between the contracts traded at bid and ask.. so if there'ss 2000 contracts trades at the bid and 2500 contracts at the ask the bar would be positive (green) by 500?

where does the 13,000 come in?

sorry dc, i'm not sure if i'm picking this up correctly

thanks for your help
belflan

It is a plot with constant volume bars, a bar is complete when a fixed number of contracts have been traded (in this case 13K) rather than the conventional constant time bars where a bar is complete when a fixed number of minutes (eg 1, 5, 10 etc) minutes have elapsed.

Your example of 2000 at bid, 2500 at ask giving a bar delta of 500 and a green bar is correct. In the above plot, that figure is smoothed with an EMA 8.

Who is buying is anyone's guess, but it does show that buyers are fairly agressive and prepared to pay the spread.

It is a plot with constant volume bars, a bar is complete when a fixed number of contracts have been traded (in this case 13K) rather than the conventional constant time bars eg a bar is complete when 5 minutes have elapsed.

Your example of 2000 at bid, 2500 at ask giving a bar delta of 500 and a green bar is correct. In the above plot, that figure is smoothed with an EMA 8.

Who is buying is anyone's guess, but it does show that buyers are fairly agressive and prepared to pay the spread.

many thanks dc, this is now clear

how would/could i make such a plot in TS2ki?, this could be useful..

belflan

many thanks dc, this is now clear

how would/could i make such a plot in TS2ki?, this could be useful..

belflan

Don't know. Some sort of script I guess. Somebody must have done this for Tradestation. Maybe their forum ?

One way to keep yourself out of trades fighting the trend on strongly trending days is to ..............QUOTE]

Interesting analysis DC.
Using the MACCi alone can tell you the same story once you have got used to it.
SImplistically when there is a strong up-day, the macci will get OB and stay there in one timeframe or another. That is the first clue to be wary of. This happened in the 10 and 5 min macci from when the market opened and first became OB and didn't get OS afterwards. This first became apparent yesterday (according to my log) at 15:10 when the 5 turned down but the market itself went almost sideways.
The question then is how to enter on such a day ? The odds favour Long trades and therefore the only way to get a ride using the macci is to use the upturns rather than wait (hope) for an oversold situation to appear.
And looking for Short opportunities on such a day is very risky and should only use half position size and look to scalp because of that.
The problem for some (I think) is that because the maccis get OB they sometimes assume that a downtrend is about to start and look to go short.

Another aid is to put the Sector Indices into an N-Minute Change Radar along with $INDU (amd $COMP if you like) and set it on, say, 5 min compression. This gives you an recent picture of which sectors are strong and weak in relation to the market and where the money is moving from-to. Yesterday this highlighed the flight from Energy and the advance of Techs and Finanacials etc etc. (Sector rotation). Stocks such as RIG, WFT and SLB can turn from market-following to market-contrary as they did early yesterday, but shorting them on an up day is risky unless you are looking at this intermediate level between market and stocks.
Again simplistically, just stick with going long strong stocks on an up day imho.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, good stuff, thanks

And looking for Short opportunities on such a day is very risky and should only use half position size and look to scalp because of that.

my position sizing yesterday was not correct anyway, symbols not connected. so positions sizing indacitor wasn't correct. my losses should not have been as large. now fixed tho

I will certain concider reducing position sizing, if faced with the same set up again

The problem for some (I think) is that because the maccis get OB they sometimes assume that a downtrend is about to start and look to go short.

yes, I certainly have be falling into this trap a few times

My thinking yesterday when I went short second time around, was that the 30min and 10min macci's where turning from over brought, and the 1min was trending down. I think this is Grey's ideal set up (point 5) for going short.

Doesn't seem to smart do this on a +100 point day i guess

but if the indu 30min and 10min macci's are both over brought is the indu not very likely to be positive (or very positive) for the day?

still thinking this through, but i have noticed that I do try and go short on what seems very strong days after the event (and vice versa on weak days) hmm

many thanks for your advice :) (I need this sort of input to improve)
cheers
belflan

back by popular demand, lol..

all done for tonight

position sizing correct tonight

first short on RIMM was taken on the first 10min macci turn north.

second set of shorts on RIMM and RIG were taken on the last 10min macci turn north (30min was o/b also and turning up)

belflan

running total = $1,527

Attachments

• INDU 2nd May 2008.JPG
    INDU 2nd May 2008.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 11
  • RIMM & RIG 2nd May 2008.JPG
    RIMM & RIG 2nd May 2008.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Trades 2nd May 2008.JPG
    Trades 2nd May 2008.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
total today = $449

running total = $1,936

the COST trade was a poor trade today, not because it was a loss. I took the trade without CNBC on. as soon as I put CNBC on they said data was just about to be released, the data was released (not sure what it was) COST spiked against me.:rolleyes:

belflan

Attachments

• COST 5th May 2008.JPG
    COST 5th May 2008.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BHI 5th May 2008.JPG
    BHI 5th May 2008.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 4
  • AMZN 5th May 2008.JPG
    AMZN 5th May 2008.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Trades 5th May 2008.JPG
    Trades 5th May 2008.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 5
  • INDU 5th May 2008.JPG
    INDU 5th May 2008.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 6
  • WFT 5th May 2008.JPG
    WFT 5th May 2008.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 4
i'm already well up off BHI and RIG

hmm, is this a strong market playing it weak at the open?

or just a weak market

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 4
short Cost and Amzn

around where the red arrows are on the 10min

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 7
shorts closed,

5min when from o/b to o/s market didn't lose much

It think the market is strong at this point

therefore i will wait for 10min and see if there is any longs on

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 5
todays total $1,569

running total = $3,404

today was a very good day.

I'm thinking two things, 1. I'm beginning to read the market of the MACCI's better. 2. it was an easy day, and luck was on myside.

I think both are true. making progress tho

beflan

24/3/2008 - 6/5/2008
30days actual trading so far

looking back through my paper trade records, I can not believe I've only be paper trading intraday for only 30days, my biggest peek to dip draw down is around $5K, i predict that I will not see such a DD again.. I set out to paper test this for 6 months then trade live. I think that the value I'm getting from the paper test will diminish quickly from here on in and i will be trading live before the 6 months is up.. we'll see

Attachments

• INDU 6th May 2008.JPG
    INDU 6th May 2008.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Trades 6th May 2008.JPG
    Trades 6th May 2008.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 4
  • AMZN 6th May 2008.JPG
    AMZN 6th May 2008.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 3
  • BHI 6th May 2008.JPG
    BHI 6th May 2008.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 4
  • COST  6th May 2008.JPG
    COST 6th May 2008.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 3
  • RIG 6th May 2008.JPG
    RIG 6th May 2008.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 3
  • RIMM 6th May 2008.JPG
    RIMM 6th May 2008.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
each time i think i've got the hang of it the market comes back and hits me a slap

currently -$1,400 down tonight

belflan