Beautiful Mathematics

If you want really interesting numbers, try exponential retracements . e (2.718...) is used in just about every financial transaction that takes place, and has at least as many interesting properties than phi.

Why not look at a series ov e^-x retracements where x = {1, 2, 3, 4,..., N}? My guess is you could use it just as effectively as fib retracements.

If you want really interesting numbers, try exponential retracements . e (2.718...) is used in just about every financial transaction that takes place

Isnt that mainly because continuously compounding interest rates are assumed instead of discrete case as using exponential function makes the maths easier?

They do say there is safety in numbers. Is that true? Personally, I learned enough mathematics to get me through my exams. Curiousity into the mysteries of it have never been my fuerte, although I'll bet that I know more than a great number of youngsters a quarter of my age.

You will have heard, I'm sure, of the Trachtenberg speed system of mental arithmatic. If one is interested in this sort of mental work then Wikipedia will explain it. His story is interesting in itself.

In any case, whether I like it or not, it is good exercisse for the brain. As they say "Use it, or lose it"

Last edited:
They do say there is safety in numbers. Is that true? Personally, I learned enough mathematics to get me through my exams. Curiousity into the mysteries of it have never been my fuerte, although I'll bet that I know more than a great number of youngsters a quarter of my age.

You will have heard, I'm sure, of the Trachtenberg speed system of mental arithmatic. If one is interested in this sort of mental work then Wikipedia will explain it. His story is interesting in itself.

In any case, whether I like it or not, it is good exercisse for the brain. As they say "Use it, or lose it"

I read in Tipping Point - reason why maths is difficult for most British children is because of the daft English language for 11, 12 & 13.

Takes kids good couple of years if not a decade to over come the mental barrier.

eleven = tenone
twelve = tentwo
thirteen = tenthree
nineteen = tennine

Get it.

Lets use pounds and shillings
Lets use inches and yards
And let's screw up decimalisation and counting in English too...

This could be one of the key reason why the Indians and Chinese do so much better at school because they are not handicapped by arithmetic as by the time they reach school they have already mastered the trick in their mother tongue already.

Last edited:
I suppose that it contributes but I think worse is the ritual I had pumped into me.

16 ozs=1 lb; 14 lb = 1 stone; 112 lb = 1 hundredweight; 20 cwt = 1 ton.

Then we have even worse with temps. 32ºF = freezing and 212º = boiling !

What is wrong with a country that is so obstinate that it cannot agree that metric is a better idea for our kids to learn? It is not rocket science!

I wonder if Trachtenberg could have done any mental stuff with British measures?

Yes, and 20 shillings in a pound and 24 pennies in a florin, 30 in half a crown and 21 shillings in a guinea.

Or some such sh1t like that.

8 furlongs in a mile, 10 chains in a furlong, 36 inches in a yard , never mind the yarde of ale .... fricking hell .... and we found it so easy to understand.

Today's morons wouldn't have a clue.

Yes, and 20 shillings in a pound and 24 pennies in a florin, 30 in half a crown and 21 shillings in a guinea.

Or some such sh1t like that.

8 furlongs in a mile, 10 chains in a furlong, 36 inches in a yard , never mind the yarde of ale .... fricking hell .... and we found it so easy to understand.

Today's morons wouldn't have a clue.

I'm not a moron - just an intelligent human... :p

I suppose that it contributes but I think worse is the ritual I had pumped into me.

16 ozs=1 lb; 14 lb = 1 stone; 112 lb = 1 hundredweight; 20 cwt = 1 ton.

Then we have even worse with temps. 32ºF = freezing and 212º = boiling !

What is wrong with a country that is so obstinate that it cannot agree that metric is a better idea for our kids to learn? It is not rocket science!

I wonder if Trachtenberg could have done any mental stuff with British measures?

Well explain this then...how come everyone says phew 80deg in the shade and brrrrrr -2 outside.

They want it all ways don't they ! :LOL:

Miles per gallon means more to me than litres per kilometre.

I also fondly remember the days when a shilling was called a bob and a sixpence was called a tanner.

I actually knew a bloke called Bob Tanner, who was nicknamed One and Six.

True

:)

39.37 inches to a metre. When I was a kid I wondered why them furriners couldn't get it exact?

No wonder we won the war. They drive on the wrong side of the road, too.

39.37 inches to a metre. When I was a kid I wondered why them furriners couldn't get it exact?

No wonder we won the war. They drive on the wrong side of the road, too.

39.37 inches? :rolleyes:

Was that deliberate? ;)

Trachtenberg did not do me much good because his book came out in 1960 and 12X12=144 were well imbedded in my brain by that time. Frankly, the book came too late for me as it probably has for you guys, especially with calculators, etc. Nevertheless, I wonder how many youngsters would have benefitted? It shows what a brilliant mathematician can do in a concentration camp with little, or no, pen and paper and it kept him sane.

I read in Tipping Point - reason why maths is difficult for most British children is because of the daft English language for 11, 12 & 13.

If you think that you should take a look at Russian numbers. Also Russian plural rules. Yet, Russians have a history of excellence in mathematics. If you are looking for the reason British kids do bad in math, here it is: TV time.

So funny, looking forward to the next post. I remember when the decimal came in, I had to explain how much change the old lady should give me in our corner shop on my way from 'school' ha ha!!:LOL:

So funny, looking forward to the next post. I remember when the decimal came in, I had to explain how much change the old lady should give me in our corner shop on my way from 'school' ha ha!!:LOL:

Yes, elderly folk find these changes difficult. It does look as if you will not experience pound to euro. You should have been here when the peseta changed over!

If I remember, the euro equalled around 160 pesetas. There was a 100 peseta coin. People were confusing it with a euro coin, because of the size. This wasn't sometimes, but all the time and there was a period, several months, when the two currencies circulated together. Prices went up and inflation took off because of this mistake that shoppers made. The price of a cup of coffee, that used to be 100 pesetas, became 1 euro. Of course, with big ticket items, like fridges, this did not happen, but for small, everyday items there was this rounding off to a euro.