Backgrounds of Successful Traders

what qualities does one need to become a "sort " china? personally i can't even get arrested no more!!!

henry766 said:
what qualities does one need to become a "sort " china? personally i can't even get arrested no more!!!

LOL - thez no hope for u then mate :LOL:

on a serious note - what sort have u got in mind? that of floor boys or that of adventurers of independent means who make trading from their laptop their full time job? it is 2 different sets of qualities (overlapping but yet distinct) and not many have both....

china white said:
LOL - thez no hope for u then mate :LOL:

on a serious note - what sort have u got in mind? that of floor boys or that of adventurers of independent means who make trading from their laptop their full time job? it is 2 different sets of qualities (overlapping but yet distinct) and not many have both....

Hi China - good to see you back. (I've 'come back' too - but the way things are going I may as well go away again!)

FWIW here is my 2cents....

Winning attitude. Thats it. (has anyone mentioned that one before - if so apologies for bringing it up again). On the floor there were people from all walks of life, every corner of the globe, every age, colour, etc. There was a peg for every shape of hole. The traits we had in common was the ability to work hard, determination to crack it, and above all come back fighting after a set back. Those that didnt cut it were the types who were always trying to impress others, know it alls etc...

Personally however I think honesty is key. Honesty with yourself, and the ability to think independently.

People from other walks of life have a tough time cracking it because they are used to moulding the world around them to achieve what they want - and they try this with the markets, and....(well, you all know what happens next) People tell me lawyers make the worst traders for some reason. Dont know why this is.

BBB said:
Winning attitude. Thats it. (has anyone mentioned that one before - if so apologies for bringing it up again). On the floor there were people from all walks of life, every corner of the globe, every age, colour, etc. There was a peg for every shape of hole. The traits we had in common was the ability to work hard, determination to crack it, and above all come back fighting after a set back. Those that didnt cut it were the types who were always trying to impress others, know it alls etc...

Personally however I think honesty is key. Honesty with yourself, and the ability to think independently.
Brilliantly said.

d-

des44 said:
Brilliantly said.

d-

BBB - I second that. Cud not be said better!

I actually had this chap back at my biz school who'd been a lawyer in TX and somehow decided to become an option trader..... very nice lad, very verbal if u know what I mean, he even managed to land a trading job - he was a smooth talker indeed.....

guess what hap'd next :) he had to leave after 3 months, and now he's back to TX as a divorce lawyer, doing exactly what u said - moulding the world round him..... :)

china white said:
BBB - I second that. Cud not be said better!

I actually had this chap back at my biz school who'd been a lawyer in TX and somehow decided to become an option trader..... very nice lad, very verbal if u know what I mean, he even managed to land a trading job - he was a smooth talker indeed.....

guess what hap'd next :) he had to leave after 3 months, and now he's back to TX as a divorce lawyer, doing exactly what u said - moulding the world round him..... :)

maybe because lawyers have to be TOLD what to believe.
If you pay a lawyer to defend you, he/she will search out a plan to highlight/undermine evidence to seek out a pre-planned objective.

that same lawyer can be paid to prosecute you.

maybe lawyers need to to be TOLD what to believe. they cant judge evidence without having a pre-conception as to its value.
thus, they are useless traders.

what about judges ??

I'm going to throw an unusual one in here - Doormen. When I was training with a firm in London I used to work the doors in my home town at the weekend for extra cash. There were a lot of similarity's between the two jobs. Such as, entering a situation you are unsure of or scared about and once in it keeping focused and cool so that you can make split second decisions which your well being or survival depend upon.

Being able to rise above your emotions, there have been loads of times when I've know the people involved with incidents and have wanted to go after them at a later date, you have to say to yourself i'm doing a job and have to stay professional. The same goes for when your in a situation and someones coming at you or being extremely aggressive and you remain calm. The bigger picture is that a doorman has to control there emotions as well and I know form experience that its very difficult especially if you feel as though someone else has won.

To be forced to control your emotions due to your physical environment is opposite to what good trading is.

In trading , you always have the choice of what to do , in your example , you don't.

Same all the pseudo macho examples - bomb maker , soldier blah blah blah , not impressive at all.

So you worked in London during the week and then did the doors in Cheshire during the weekends ?

Sounds very impractical

in its present form def no.

however if u ask me if trading is gonna become fully automated and in 10 yrs everyone is gonna trade automatically on Abracadabra spreadsheets created by 25 PhDs who went bust with LTCM :) - I think the answer is no either :)

Im about to start trading and believe that a C++ programming background will be some sort of advantage - programming involves an iterative process of ( design - code - test - bug fix ) - the way
I am approaching trading is similar via keeping a trading log and constanly re-evaluating my performance and the apropriateness of my existing strategy for current market condtions. I would argue that money management is analogous to coding standards.

I've never man managed anyone and think this is also important - belief that one can influence the market as oppose to just swimming with it would seem to be a big disadvantage

>>hey are used to following a rigid set of rules in their profession.

so does a bus driver . do you know any pilots or bus drivers that are successful traders?

To Quote Ken Wolff

I have found that some of the best traders are pilots.Pilots have a very methodical way at looking at procedures & emergency procedures.When an engine catches on fire or a hydraulic failure , the pilot immediately goes into a series of emergency procedures.Little emotion is involved, they can not wish the emergency will go away or fix its self..They let the emergency dictate their actions

The hard part is creating your own SOP ( standard operating procedures) & check lists to allow you to carry them out with out hesitation...

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's just Ken Wolff CJ - WTF does he know... :LOL:

With the greatest respect CJ, you're missing the point.

The trick is to simply keep disagreeing disagreeably. That way, you don't add anything worthwhile and avoid potential entanglements such as positive input that can be challenged.

Pretty safe, eh?

I'm glad someone pick up on Mr Wolff.... Explains the context of my post beautifully :)))

wisestguy said:
>>hey are used to following a rigid set of rules in their profession.

so does a bus driver . do you know any pilots or bus drivers that are successful traders?

Not in Putney they dont - cant even follow a damn timetable.

Why did I sell my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Why did I sell my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " ..to fund your account LOL ;) presumably after you had lost it to the bus driver ;)