ATR vs. The Turtle's n value

case777

In the Turtle rules it says that the n value is now known as ATR, however when I calculate the n value by hand I always get a figure close so, but different from, the ATR shown on charts.

Am I doing it wrong or are n and ATR calculated differently?

check your ATR setting i.e 14 day ATR is the same as the lookback period the Turtles used

Hi case777,
I'm not familiar with the Turtle rules but, if the n value and ATR are one of the same, then most charting packages allow you to add ATR which will provide you with a numerical reading and, therefore, your n value. If you're spread betting and using a company that uses IT Finance charts then, unfortunately, you're out of luck as they don't offer the ATR indicator. If you want to know more about ATR, a Google search will reveal lots and, additionally, there are some good articles about it here on T2W in the 'Articles' section of the site.
Tim.

Hi all :)

I just read the book " Way of the Turtle"

I like to seek some advice on the part for Turtle's N Value

In the boo, it was stated that with the N Value we could get the unit size,

Unit Size is = !% of account / (N *dollar per points)

May I ask what is the dollar per points stated here.

For example.

N= 0.141
1% of Account = 10000
And I am looking to buy Citi at $3.90
What is citi dollar per point?

Thank you

Dollar per point is the value of 1 point of movement per contract.

For example, for the FTSE future it is £10 per single point of movement per contract.

Edit:
I should have also added that stocks don't have a dollar per point value as it depends on how much stock you buy. For example, if you buy 1000 shares of Citi - for every cent of movement, you will either make or lose $10. Just take the number of shares and divide by 100 to get the amount of dollars per per cent of movement.

Last edited:
Hi,

Has anyone actually tried the turtle method? What are your experiences? I have been doing it on a demo account for 2 months now. Mixed results. I have lost lots of money in the past and really need to get a proper methodology before I commit more money. I am very determined...been reading this site alot over the last 2 weeks.
thanks

Has anyone actually tried the turtle method?

The Turtle system is designed to be traded by very well capitalized individuals across a wide array of markets to both provide a measure of diversification and to ensure sufficient trading opportunities. If you're just using it to trade one primary market (stocks, forex, indices, etc.) then you aren't really using the system as intended.

I am currently trading (demo) about 10 markets. I have 18 in my watchlist. As they said I need to diversify and also pick trades that are not correlated. I have done this.

For those who have used the method, for stops do you use 2N or something else? (For those familiar you will know what I mean by N)