Ask ANY trading related question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
I am new to the forum and could use some help with thinkorswim. I have some EA's and would like to know if it is possible to insert them in 'thinkorswim. Any suggestions are welcome.

Basic question: I'm trying to understand why, on world spreads, the price of FTSE Rolling Cash is higher than FTSE Rolling Future, currently by 18 points. Otherwise they seem to move in tandem. :confused:

Anyone..? Thanks

scouser

I looked into future and option trading a number of years ago, looking at the general economic situation I feel that this is an excellent time to look at starting again, I'm particularly interested in commodities. I want a good software trading platform for my apple mac computer. I did look at metastock and other programmes years ago but would like some advice on the latest software, signal providers, and the most cost effective way to get started trading, such as spread betting.

if a/c is sterling, close EUR/USD for 1 lot profit: is profit 10GBP?

Sure could use some education please.
Below is quoted post which I attempted to answer and got myself in a muddle. Why? well... I just automatically assumed that IF a/c is say sterling THEN when a trade is closed for 1 Lot profit that the P/L would show +10GBP ie, the a/c ccy.
Any other thinking (so I thought) would be way to complicated because 1 Lot pip value for direct ccy pair is 10USD but since working with sterling... well, surely - I'd just expect that my 1 lot trade would return 1 lot value of 10GBP...

See? my confused explanation above has demonstrated my situation.
Is why I like to attempt to answer questions... simply because I generally expose my weaknesses to ME when I get in a muddle answering a question.
Then... I can, for myself, ask for more education :confused: from you :smart: people

Thank you
;)

Hi

If I have an account in GBP, how is the pip value calculated?

For instance, if I have a 1 pip profit in EUR/USD for a standard lot, is the $10 USD profit converted into GBP using the ask price of the GBP/USD pair?

Thanks.

Hello - is a large area with many methods and views on subject. Here are a few links which may interest you.
"Trading Stochastic Crossovers with 1-2-3 Top Formations" http://www.tradingeducators.com/resources/stochastic_crossovers.pdf
"The Stochastic Kiss Pattern" The Stochastic Kiss Pattern | GFT Forex
"Stochastic Programming Bibliography" http://mally.eco.rug.nl/biblio/STOPROG.PDF
"Stochastic Oscillator" http://www.4x4u.net/educationPDFs/B10.pdf
“Stochastic Systems: from Randomness to Complexity” “Stochastic Systems: from Randomness to Complexity”
hi guys,
is there any complet pdf book about stochastic and how to use it for best results?

thanx.
dashlat

Hi, quick question!

I currently trade ftse 100 rolling index with Finspreads. As my cash balance increases I am intending to start trading real futures contracts for the ftse 100.

I am using technical indicators - basic stuff, macd, momentum, parabolic SAR etc.

My question is this - how likely is it that the futures chart for say Mar 09 will throw up the same signals to me as the Finspreads rolling ftse 100 sb instrument? I am having reasonable success and I'm quite comfortable with the indicators and current system I use but I feel that there is a profit advantage to be had trading futures contracts. This is because the spread is about 33% of my average win, hence I'd be better off with a half point spread + commisssion + CGT.

thanks in advance for your opinions

Test

Attachments

• img_12359216067078.gif
    img_12359216067078.gif
    29.4 KB · Views: 174
Is there a beginner's guide anywhere for learning MetaTrader 4's EA? Cause i'd like to pick it up but some of the things I've read seems a bit complicated, as I only have a little experience in programming.

What to begin with

Hi
I was wondering what people think is the best area for a newbie to start trading with ie: shares, indices, commodities, forex ?
I have been using spread trading demos for a while, although i think it would be better if I focused on one product
thanks

I am interested in owndata for real time trading. I know it is a add on for tradestation but
I would like to know sources for data

new trader

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.

started trading a couple of months ago, mainly fx , ftse and wall st. I am floundering.
Trading only on trends and bits of news. Has anyone got any advice to make my trading more scientific, more succssful?
Mike

started trading a couple of months ago, mainly fx , ftse and wall st. I am floundering.
Trading only on trends and bits of news. Has anyone got any advice to make my trading more scientific, more succssful?
Mike
You have already partially answered your questions by suggesting your trading should become more scientific. Regardless of specific methods used, find a way to systematically accumulate knowledge about your trading activities, i.e., make sure lessons are learned, not just experienced. Also, consider concentrating on just one market, at least for a while.

A question about options trading. I have had some experience with writing covered calls on shares I already own and/or selling puts on shares I wouldn't mind owning. I was recently burned by this when I sold a put and the underlying tanked completely and I was left holding the bag, paying a great sum to either buy the shares (at a great deal more than market) or buy back the put option. My own fault... bad call.

Just wondering... what's the best way to enact a Stop Loss on this type of strategy? I could look at buying a put at next lower strike or another month out (expiry). Is there a better way, as this tends to eat up all the premium I received for selling the put in the first place?

I don't know the mechanics, but perhaps placing a 'conditional' put purchase in place, triggering on the underlying stock reaching a pre-determined value? Anyone with some options trading experience out there have some ideas to offer?

Many thanks,
Kevin

when ur wrong and trade goes against u

Day Trading:
How do u handle a for example .60 trend that went against u.
Do u hold and wait for it to come back
Do u make sure u get out before it gets that bad
Do u double up(get in again with same trade)
Do u get out take loss and try to make it back

Anyone know some warning sighns that a rally or
trend is coming

What is the price that u get out when wrong and stock is moving
against u , .20 .30 .40 cents?

Last edited:
A question about options trading. I have had some experience with writing covered calls on shares I already own and/or selling puts on shares I wouldn't mind owning. I was recently burned by this when I sold a put and the underlying tanked completely and I was left holding the bag, paying a great sum to either buy the shares (at a great deal more than market) or buy back the put option. My own fault... bad call.

Just wondering... what's the best way to enact a Stop Loss on this type of strategy? I could look at buying a put at next lower strike or another month out (expiry). Is there a better way, as this tends to eat up all the premium I received for selling the put in the first place?

I don't know the mechanics, but perhaps placing a 'conditional' put purchase in place, triggering on the underlying stock reaching a pre-determined value? Anyone with some options trading experience out there have some ideas to offer?

Many thanks,
Kevin

Well in the case of a naked put if you want to own the stock anyway, then best approach would be to leave a resting sell stop order in the market on the underlying stock. That way if you are assigned the stock your loss will be equal to the (strike price sold - sell stop price) - premium received. Otherwise if you buy back the put, you are paying add'l time value premium.

Or if you are worried about the stock in the short-term after having sold the naked puts, just short enough shares to get to delta neutral.

Hi, Can someone help me on how to close a trade on Alpari MetaTrader? It opens a new trade whenever I want to close a previous trade on the same pair. Example on USD/JYP, I buy then to close the trade I sell. But the metatrader opens two trades, 1- buy and 2- sell.
Expecting your response soon.

Hi everyone,

Howdy from Texas!

Are there any good resources for understanding what tick charts are and how they can be interpreted? I see lots of references to "price action being a leading indicator" and "tick charts being THE tool" .

I tried searching through this forums and the articles but did not really find any obvious matches. Should admit that I have not tried Google yet - seem to get a lot of commercial matches who want to sell you something. Also, not everything you read on those websites can be true!

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.