Ask ANY trading related question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sharky,

Can you tell me some useful 'trading basics' equations. I feel I'll be able to get my head around it better if I can use some formulas

I'm particularly interested in the equation for calculating 'point' values for the vertical axis of the FTSE 100?? This baffling me a little.

I think you might be thinking of this.

You might find the technical indicators category on traderpedia useful.

traders international trading seminars and coaching

Hi all, new to this, but figured this was the place to come for the info that I need.

I have been watching the videos etc. on Trading International, eminis etc. Are these guys legitimate. Is their trading room legit? Can anyone give me any info on them. They sound OK, but, they want a lot of money too, I dont want to be a fool again. Thanks Ella.

QUOTE=Sharky;395491]This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.[/QUOTE]

Helloo everyone..care to guide a newbie trader like me?

Hi guys,
I'm new here and in forex.BTW I'm from Singapore 33yrs old looking to do Forex full time...and so far what i CAN SEE IS...its gonna take a lot more than just doing it full time. Anyway, started with US$500...and now down to $27.00...sheesh...its not as easy as I thougt. I tried using auto trading signals...moving averages...and whenever I left the Laptop..the market went against me..sigh..So..could anyone help me so as to how do we calculate our stop loss. And does it mean losing below entry point or loss in profits. Help!!!

avextrex

Best thing I can suggest avextrex is to head to babypips.com and read everything in their "school" and then read it again and again until you understand and appreciate it all.

That should give you a good starting point. I'd strongly recommend not risking any more capital until you fully understand what you're doing.

Best thing I can suggest avextrex is to head to babypips.com and read everything in their "school" and then read it again and again until you understand and appreciate it all.

That should give you a good starting point. I'd strongly recommend not risking any more capital until you fully understand what you're doing.

Thank you for the advice, I'll do just that. In my solitary, I will continue my training. May the force be with your trades...hehe. Sorry, I'm a Star Wars fan.:smart:

Bye

Getting started!

I would like to start trading but would like advice on brokers, software and books to read.

I want to open a trading account and start trading with £100 just to get a feel for trading before I put any major money into trading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ega

I'm also looking for some trustworthy training sources that won't take all my capital to pay for! Anyone had any experience with Spread Trade options training? I rely on IBD for my basic info, and liked "Way of the Turtle" for more general trading perspective, plus Toni Turner's book "Short-term TRading in the New Stock Market." I'm presently slogging my way through "Options Made Easy" ((ha!)--which is really pretty clearly written and user-friendly.

I'm also looking for some trustworthy training sources that won't take all my capital to pay for! Anyone had any experience with Spread Trade options training? I rely on IBD for my basic info, and liked "Way of the Turtle" for more general trading perspective, plus Toni Turner's book "Short-term TRading in the New Stock Market." I'm presently slogging my way through "Options Made Easy" ((ha!)--which is really pretty clearly written and user-friendly.

If you are buying call options it is very important to know the period when the most time wastage occurs. That is the period where the writers make money out of the buyers. This can be such a fierce drop that it is probable that the unwary may well only break even when the actual share price is taking off and, if the price does not move, the option price will fall to the level of the price itself, say from 60p right down to 2p!

The bait offered to new traders is "You always know the maximum that you can lose".
The problem is that calls bought without due planning will almost always lose. Knowing in advance how much it will be is no help!

You take care with options, I've had my ups and downs with them and finally left for the straight futures markets.

Another personal opinion, if I may. Decide what is going to happen to a share price, select the option carefully (with plenty of time value on it and well into the future so that you can sell before the wastage starts to come in---you'll get to know when that is, with experience.) and buy it without going into all the straddles, butterflies, calender spreads, etc. Those strategies sound good because they limit your losses more. The problem is that they also cost more in brokers fees, making it even more difficult to make money, in many cases actually putting a cap on what can be made.

You can also buy options when most of the time value has run out, say the last few days of its life.

I have William F.Eng's "Options- Trading Strategies That Work" but, I repeat. I found that my best trades were straight, simple, buy and sell operations of one option.

Good luck

Split

I would like to start trading but would like advice on brokers, software and books to read.

I want to open a trading account and start trading with £100 just to get a feel for trading before I put any major money into trading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ega
i dont think youlle get many problems with oanda.i havnt a real account with them but i think youlle find anyone who has will agree.they deal in micro lots.crappy charts so id download a metatrader platform for charts.
there is also marketindex (abn amro)an alternative oanda fed platform.safe money.(y)
hope this helps.
if was you i wouldnt bother with books untill you have scoured this site and others for free info.by the time youve finished you will know which books to buy (if any)

A small question, last week we all know that, there were fears that hurricane Dolly would affect oil supplies, and therefore price of oil immediately shot up. Now this piece of information would have been found out by who first, and when traders received it through bloomberg or reuters how long would they have received it, after the first person knew. After the first person knew about this, when did reuters and bloomberg find out? and out of reuters and bloomberg who would have found out first.

When prices shoot up like this, is it the traders that cause the rally, therefore displaying that the traders at this point heavily relied on the news to speculate where prices were going.
How would they have determine when to exit the position, as the fear of demand caused the price to move back down soon after.

A small question, last week we all know that, there were fears that hurricane Dolly would affect oil supplies, and therefore price of oil immediately shot up. Now this piece of information would have been found out by who first, and when traders received it through bloomberg or reuters how long would they have received it, after the first person knew. After the first person knew about this, when did reuters and bloomberg find out? and out of reuters and bloomberg who would have found out first.

Well, i think it took a while! =P but on the other hand, those ppl who knew about it before everyone else might not had enough capital to move the price signifcantly. =)

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.

Hi Everyone,
New to the forum so still find ing my way around. I've got a question for advfn users. Does any one have a list of the S&P 500 sector symbols that advfn will accept?
Thx

Mac OSX will work

Hello money fans(y)

As both a newbie fxer as well as as Mac user I spent some time finding a trading site to suit my needs.
I found IG Markets to be the best equipped in that regard.
The service is outstanding although the site seems glitchy sometimes, nothing that cant be worked around.
It does seem odd that so many platforms are Windows only.
Perhaps someone could recommend other sites that are also Mac friendly for comparison purposes if nothing else?

Thanks for all the good info:clap:

mepp99

Hello money fans(y)

As both a newbie fxer as well as as Mac user I spent some time finding a trading site to suit my needs.
I found IG Markets to be the best equipped in that regard.
The service is outstanding although the site seems glitchy sometimes, nothing that cant be worked around.
It does seem odd that so many platforms are Windows only.
Perhaps someone could recommend other sites that are also Mac friendly for comparison purposes if nothing else?

Thanks for all the good info:clap:

mepp99

load parallels on your mac and get a virtual windows running to trade on. this will also give you the best form of backup/recovery on the market.

Hi im looking for a live trading platform with monthly fees i whith to trade mini E can anyone guide me in the right direction

Hello, can you advise me please...

Hello, as a mathematician I am interested in attempting to put my mathematics to work.
I would like to day trade but ideally after 5pm (UK). Am I right in thinking that this is possible in the american markets? Also, are there any simulated packages where I can get live feeds and charting facilities? I would like this for free but if needed I would pay a subscription. Finally can anyone recommend a good analysis package? Many years ago I dabbled with metastock, is this still good value?
Many thanks.
Jet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.