Ask ANY trading related question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MP -- use MT4 charts for spreadbetting for free !

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which charting software is best suited for spreadbetting? At the moment I have TeleCharts which is good, but it takes extremely long to load up everytime. I also only recieve daily charts, is it enough to trade with or do I need intraday as well?

My last question is about seminars, are there any out there you guys could reccomend?

Thank you
Pete
===============================================

i would investigate any of the metatrader 4 free demos, available in any and all countries --- its actually an amazingly good charting program with enough custom indicators and automated trading robots to keep a person happy forever !

what you then have to do with some is "adjust" THEIR highs and lows with your own spreadbetters highs and lows to "optimize" the two prices ---- ie: the metatrader broker reaches a high of 50.23 on their charts vs a high of 50.24 for your spreadbroker, so you know from then on that the metatrader platform is ONE PIP off the mark, and so adjust how you trade

works amazingly well, and its free !

enjoy and trade well

mp

I should have been much more specific. Is there a place (preferably for free, but I may pay) that provides historical intraday charting for stocks? Metatrader seems to be only Forex (is that correct) and I'm still checking out ADFVN but the intraday charting seems to be from the current date backwards (just like everywhere else). For instance, if I want an intraday chart for GOOG from 1/10/2005, can I get something like that?

I should have been much more specific. Is there a place (preferably for free, but I may pay) that provides historical intraday charting for stocks? Metatrader seems to be only Forex (is that correct) and I'm still checking out ADFVN but the intraday charting seems to be from the current date backwards (just like everywhere else). For instance, if I want an intraday chart for GOOG from 1/10/2005, can I get something like that?
====================================================================
try these

and yes, metatrader is presently for forex, futures and commodities only (DEPENDING ON YOUR STOCK CHOICE, a number of brokers have limited stock picks available on the metatrader platform, but certainly not complete, although GOOG would be in there --- take a look at white hall capital.ru/en, a russian spread better that offers the better stocks on its metatrader platform, with adjustable lookback ! Im sure there are many others, but i simply dont work that way so not overly familiar im afraid.

Quote.com U.S. Markets - Stocks
$INDU - SharpCharts from StockCharts.com (considered VERY good, with LOADS of information)
Prophet.Net | Explore | Chart Surfer® (i used them as a pay service for years --- much customability even with the free version)

there are a few others --- quotetracker gives you 20 days of historical data on intradays, and years on the daily, but doesnt allow you to do what you wish --- i believe stockcharts and/or prophet net may !

gl

mp

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am a new user on trade to win and let's hope I'll be using the service for a while yet! lol.

Anyway, to the crux of this thread...

I am a graduate from an arts and humanities background with very little exposure to financial markets in general, hence my knowledge of trading would be classed as minimal to non existent.

However, having read a job spec for a particular trading position and subsequently receiving a invitation for a numeracy test, my interest in trading has become more prominent.

There are so many questions I want to ask but here are the main ones:

1. If I'm applying for an entry level position i.e. junior/trainee trader, what knowledge of financial markets is expected of me?

2. What is to be expected on the numeracy test I am about to sit?

3. What are the general working hours for junior traders?

4. What sort of salary (if any) should I expect if I work as trainee trader?

5. Will potential employers frown upon the fact that I have a degree in humanities and arts as supposed to the archetypal graduate who has a degree in a numerical subject?

I am really nervous but also very excited about working in such a profession hence I kindly ask your advice for information on what to expect, and generally how not to make a complete fool of myself if invited for an interview!

====================================================================
try these

and yes, metatrader is presently for forex, futures and commodities only (DEPENDING ON YOUR STOCK CHOICE, a number of brokers have limited stock picks available on the metatrader platform, but certainly not complete, although GOOG would be in there --- take a look at white hall capital.ru/en, a russian spread better that offers the better stocks on its metatrader platform, with adjustable lookback ! Im sure there are many others, but i simply dont work that way so not overly familiar im afraid.

Quote.com U.S. Markets - Stocks
$INDU - SharpCharts from StockCharts.com (considered VERY good, with LOADS of information)
Prophet.Net | Explore | Chart Surfer® (i used them as a pay service for years --- much customability even with the free version)

there are a few others --- quotetracker gives you 10 days of historical data on intradays, and years on the daily, but doesnt allow you to do what you wish --- i believe stockcharts and/or prophet net may !

gl

mp

Prophet.net does indeed offer 120 days of intraday charts- perfect! Only it costs $65/month

Prophet.net does indeed offer 120 days of intraday charts- perfect! Only it costs $65/month
=============================================================

do they no longer offer the free service --- as i remember, it differed from the paid in that the number of indicators was far less, but i simply dont remember how many days back they went

or have they gone over to totally paid at this point ?

mp

Hi all,

I am a new user on trade to win and let's hope I'll be using the service for a while yet! lol.

Anyway, to the crux of this thread...

I am a graduate from an arts and humanities background with very little exposure to financial markets in general, hence my knowledge of trading would be classed as minimal to non existent.

However, having read a job spec for a particular trading position and subsequently receiving a invitation for a numeracy test, my interest in trading has become more prominent.

There are so many questions I want to ask but here are the main ones:

1. If I'm applying for an entry level position i.e. junior/trainee trader, what knowledge of financial markets is expected of me?

2. What is to be expected on the numeracy test I am about to sit?

3. What are the general working hours for junior traders?

4. What sort of salary (if any) should I expect if I work as trainee trader?

5. Will potential employers frown upon the fact that I have a degree in humanities and arts as supposed to the archetypal graduate who has a degree in a numerical subject?

I am really nervous but also very excited about working in such a profession hence I kindly ask your advice for information on what to expect, and generally how not to make a complete fool of myself if invited for an interview!
===========================================================

i havent the answer to those questions as i work for myself and not others, but perhaps you ought to investigate the "trading for a living" threads located at the bottom of the main page index --- more people with answers to your questions there !

mp

=============================================================

do they no longer offer the free service --- as i remember, it differed from the paid in that the number of indicators was far less, but i simply dont remember how many days back they went

or have they gone over to totally paid at this point ?

mp

Actually the free service is not bad. I haven't stretched it but I have looked at charts back 20 days with 5 min charts and that works. That is all I need really. Good call on that. Hope for your help in the future!

Actually the free service is not bad. I haven't stretched it but I have looked at charts back 20 days with 5 min charts and that works. That is all I need really. Good call on that. Hope for your help in the future!

==================================================================

glad that worked --- as youre in the states and working with stocks, you might investigate ameritrade, which gives you quotetracker charts for free.

yesterday quotetracker altered their 10 day historical charts to 20 days and its an excellent combination trading platform and charting platform which integrates fully with ameritrade -- offers level 2 and time and sales also, allowing you to trade right off the level 2

take a look

mp

now to discuss my fee --- leave me a rep point for my effort. right down there next to the american flag

lol

mp

==================================================================
WOW -- has it been a while since i did stocks

quotetracker now includes both the free "prophet charts" and the free "big charts" historical intraday charts

dont think there could be much more you could ask for and its free for ameritrade clients

pretty danged amazing

mp

hi yawl, i am currently trying to find a good FAST news feed for forex free,can anyone help.what im thinking of is something which will give me immediate feeds on the figures/articles of the economic calender events etc.

hi yawl, i am currently trying to find a good FAST news feed for forex free,can anyone help.what im thinking of is something which will give me immediate feeds on the figures/articles of the economic calender events etc.

===============================================================

forexfactory is certainly one of the better free feeds
rueters maintains a free feed that includes ALL news (so you gotta pick and choose)
blomber, dow jones, in play, ubs and yahoo all have feeds also, but not always right there with free stuff !

UNFORTUNATELY, with capitalism you usually get what you pay for and free is pretty cheap, all things considered !

(n)
===============================================================

forexfactory is certainly one of the better free feeds
rueters maintains a free feed that includes ALL news (so you gotta pick and choose)
blomber, dow jones, in play, ubs and yahoo all have feeds also, but not always right there with free stuff !

UNFORTUNATELY, with capitalism you usually get what you pay for and free is pretty cheap, all things considered !

thanx mp6140,tried fx factory before and found it was a bit late (like an hour)in posting results
gonna try the others though (y)

Best data feed

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.

Hi,

I need to sign up for a good data feed. One that is reliable, cost effective and works with Metastock. In the past I have used Paritech, but I thought it best to ask the t2w members for their thoughts first.

Dr J

How to get started reading charts/indicators

Greetings.

If I were to begin to take baby steps toward options trading and learn about, say, long calls and puts, what is a good way to begin learning how to identify market directions and chart indicators? I know that it gets highly complex fairly fast, but where does a basic guy like me find some of the time-proven (or often used) basics, and maybe some of the pre-canned basic strategies.

Before long, I would like to begin to identify some basic scenarios, and basic strategies and begin to get my arms around them a bit and then find a way to paper trade to see some things in motion.

Sort of a general question that goes along with it is this: Are their highly successful options traders who are using ultra-basic strategies and just looking for more and more trades where they can apply, or is it almost a given that successful traders are working with a very large number of strategies in their tool box.

Thanks for any advice. Totally virginal here.

Winter

optionetics.com or something. torrent their seminars (or msn me). im pretty new myself, so i'd prefer if someone more experienced would answer your q

Clm8m

I need an idea on how exactly will the market be for CLM8M (crude oil) for this weeks end ?

Hope to get an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.