Ask ANY trading related question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes win investing is advertised on the underground trains and in alot of the papers its a simple get as many people in a room then tell them that you have a stratedgy to make gd returns then get loads of people to pay thousands for a 2 days course located in a hotel conference room where theres one guy instruction about 60 of you.

thanx for ur reply

am new to trading and investing... am thinking of enrolling what do you think?

isit gd at all?? i mean worth it?

options and spreadbetting

Hi, looking for some guidance/advice on spreadbet firms that offer options. I've used CantorIndex options for about a year, but they're stopping the service at the end of March! :(
Any recommendations or cautionary tales about other providers welcomed.
Thanks.

Hi all,
I'm a newbie in forex trading. Currently i'm learning several technical analysis methods such as fibonacci, stochastic oscillator, the MACD, and even learning the candlestick patterns itself. But i'm being confused by what i learned! :confused:
Is there any simple way to learn how to predict the trend?
thx

Hi blackhawk,

Yes, study indicators, but I feel they are overrated. I use support and resistance, pivot points, and gut instincts. I just entered a small position - long eur/jpy based on instincts, and the fact that the Nikkei is way up, also it looks to me that most are short eur/jpy, and "most" are usually wrong. Resistance comes in at 159.35. I am long at 159.03. I will close half my position at resistance. Move my stop to brake even, and ride this up to 160. By all means us KISS. Trading is mostly in your head, not the fancy schmantzy technical indicators.

Hi blackhawk,

Yes, study indicators, but I feel they are overrated. I use support and resistance, pivot points, and gut instincts. I just entered a small position - long eur/jpy based on instincts, and the fact that the Nikkei is way up, also it looks to me that most are short eur/jpy, and "most" are usually wrong. Resistance comes in at 159.35. I am long at 159.03. I will close half my position at resistance. Move my stop to brake even, and ride this up to 160. By all means us KISS. Trading is mostly in your head, not the fancy schmantzy technical indicators.

I am not knocking "Contrarian" positions, indeed a large part of my trading is exactly that. But there is a world of difference between taking a rational contrarian position and "gut instincts" and "mostly in your head"
deepthinker, not only is your post a complete load of crap, it's also dangerous reading for newbies.

covered long eur/jpy at 159.73

30 pip gain on half position, 70 pip gain on other half.

rathcoole, as I said, I use support and resistance, pivot points, and gut instinct. Trading is in your head. Controlling fear and greed is easily more difficult than studying the most advanced technical indicator. If you trade long enough there is a "gut feel" to the market. Trading a practice account is great for learning the mechanics of trading, and even testing some ideas, but you can bet that when real oney is involved, everything changes.

I am sorry you feel that way, perhaps I could have said it better. I do not totally discount technicals.

For newbies, If you are thinking of opening a forex account, open a mini account, it's safer.

forex system

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.
hi, earlybird3.com by louise woof can anyone tell me if this system works. thanks

I do not actively trade but at this time just want to get a feel what is your opinion of Omni Trader software by Nirvana

They still send me all these fancy brochures about how brilliant their new system is and how it's "The Most Profitable View of the Market ever created". Total BS. They also had a ARM3 or ARM4 system that they asked for a fortune to subscript to.

After all these years of having binned the first version that they sold me they have constantly sent me brochures about how their latest version is so much more profitable etc . . . rubbish software and probably rubbish company, and I'm almost certain that Ed Downs cannot trade because he wouldn't be trying to sell me this piece of junk.

Never touched any of their recent stuff. Was unfortunate enough to buy the very first one and that's how they got my address. Program is written in Visual Basic so that tells me how crap the software is (sloppy language anyway).

I now am happy using Ensign and even that is total overkill for how I view my charts.

omni trader

They still send me all these fancy brochures about how brilliant their new system is and how it's "The Most Profitable View of the Market ever created". Total BS. They also had a ARM3 or ARM4 system that they asked for a fortune to subscript to.

After all these years of having binned the first version that they sold me they have constantly sent me brochures about how their latest version is so much more profitable etc . . . rubbish software and probably rubbish company, and I'm almost certain that Ed Downs cannot trade because he wouldn't be trying to sell me this piece of junk.

Never touched any of their recent stuff. Was unfortunate enough to buy the very first one and that's how they got my address. Program is written in Visual Basic so that tells me how crap the software is (sloppy language anyway).

I now am happy using Ensign and even that is total overkill for how I view my charts.
hi. never used omni trader ,if you want something for nothing try Forex Education, Forex Training, Currency Trading, Beginner's Guide to Forex Trading, Learn Forex, Foreign Exchange - BabyPips.com the web is brill.

Critical.... :-0
last night, i got an open position (selling GBP/USD at 1.9718)... last time i check, it's running at 1.9847 with Equity 3.670.69 and Free Margin 2.670.69 (can only hold about 267 points)...
Any suggestion what i shoud do???
please...
:help:

best regard

Commiserations. I think you sadly are learning an expensive but useful lesson (don't be fooled into not learning it if lady luck comes in now and saves you).

Stop believing all that b'sh't about stop losses not being a good idea.

You can see two lines on my chart where you should have had stop losses.

At this point you're in prayer mode. I'd put a stop loss 5 or 10 points above my red line and pray that it doesn't break (maybe 1991 ... how much does it normally break round numbers on a test?). If it does then you have an expensive but useful lesson. Why did you enter the trade (all the close channels say down was probably over)?

Attachments

• gbp.png
    gbp.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 226
blachawk down

Sorry to hear that Blackhawk...I been there; done that, one day you may learn to use stop losses. Preserve precious capital. PPC.

May I suggest a very useful book - my all time favorite trading book. "Trading in the Zone." I can't remember the author's name. It's a lot of trading psycholgy, and an easy read.

Good luck

to nine:
I was decided entering the trade after the fundamental analysis released (Forex Calendar @ Forex Factory)
usually, when there are bad impact on gbp and good impact on usd, the trend will tend to be downtrend (though, actually i got profit bout 10 bucks - but unfortunately i didn't close the transcation coz i thought the price will still going lower).

well, according to your analysis, how's the trend for now and upward, nine?

thanks alot...

Don't know mip, I don't trade it.

If I did I'd be buying pullbacks in a trend on whatever timescale I was charting basically because currencies are trendy little suckers. Which is why so many of the ForexF strategies (even Jacko's) are trend followers. I do tend to want to buy into trends a little earlier than the current one (but like I said, I don't really know gbp).

Sorry you got the "put stops in" lesson but it certainly didn't seem keen to stay stopped at 1990.

I note its now at the top channel ... breaking it ... at least thru a little ... hmmm ... back.

So the question now is will it regroup and carry on up or should I have advised you to put your stop over the channel -- apologies if it turns out to be the second.

If it does though, wait for it to test those lines and then fail ... rejoin when there is a downtrend and put in some stops :)

Sorry to hear that Blackhawk...I been there; done that, one day you may learn to use stop losses. Preserve precious capital. PPC.

May I suggest a very useful book - my all time favorite trading book. "Trading in the Zone." I can't remember the author's name. It's a lot of trading psycholgy, and an easy read.

Good luck

Trading in the Zone was written by Mark Douglas, who also happened to have wrote The Disciplined Trader, a book held quite highly on these boards. I have a copy of the latter myself, but I don't refer to it now, it's a good harmless read though from time to time.

Don't know mip, I don't trade it.

If I did I'd be buying pullbacks in a trend on whatever timescale I was charting basically because currencies are trendy little suckers. Which is why so many of the ForexF strategies (even Jacko's) are trend followers. I do tend to want to buy into trends a little earlier than the current one (but like I said, I don't really know gbp).

Sorry you got the "put stops in" lesson but it certainly didn't seem keen to stay stopped at 1990.

mmmmmmhhh.... at last, i close my short at 1.9911 decreasing my balance to 3050.69!
hope it's not happened to me again...

I feel so confused about all the technical indicators i've learnt... MACD, stochastics, moving averages, etc...
At first, I like interpreting the candlestick patterns to predict future trend changes. But, unfortunately i found false signal often. I have difficulties in predicting the trend..
Yes, I'm "too newbie" to forex world. But I eagerly want to learn about it. Is there any simple steps i can follow to learn it "from the scratch" till I can really understand when I enter the trade and when to close the transaction?

thx to all...
Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.