Are grad programs worth it??

joehorneck

I have an offer from a company in London for grad course. I'm not worried about the low pay in the training period (700 for 3 months and 1000 for the last 3 months).

What I do want to know is can anyone out there who has done a grad course give me a rough idea of what the success rate for FX traders are in their first year?

If I had 10 people how many would lose money after desk expenses for the year?

I think you will find at least 9 out of 10 of them will not make any money. I was on a course last week and there were arcade traders on it (I dont know why?) but anyway, they all thought that they were going to be really successful and make loads of money..... maybe one of them will, but in general the only people that get rich are the company bosses who fool these grads...

I don't understand why the arcades call their schemes Grad programmes as the majority of people could do just as good a job when they were sixteen... I personally would take non university educated people onto these schemes.

joehorneck said:
I have an offer from a company in London for grad course. I'm not worried about the low pay in the training period (700 for 3 months and 1000 for the last 3 months).

What I do want to know is can anyone out there who has done a grad course give me a rough idea of what the success rate for FX traders are in their first year?

it all depends also on the trading plan, and brokerage fees, and lot sizes you can trade... if you are paying 2k a month desk fees and charting packages etc but can only trade 3 lots you are going to be very hard pushed to make a penny.... if you trade for half a tick and scratch trades you may do better than trading for a 10 tick profit or a 10 tick loss etc... most people i know seem to loose before they make.. its part of the learning curve...

be very sceptical of these sorts of places , they will teach you say a fixed spread trade or in FX pivot trades or what ever . they will give you cash to trade but they make more money on the commsions , spreads and exchange rebates than they do on anything else . some houses are better than others , just go in with your eyes open ! !!!

by fixed spread trade do you mean just say the front 2 months? or bund versus bobl? or a strategy of a mkt i.e. moving avg etc? :?:

Joehorneck, I have the feeling you speak about Refco, do you?

Have you had an interview to be accepted in the grad program? Did it go well?

joehorneck said:

can you drop the name by any chance?

joehorneck said:

I don't regard these as grad schemes......one doesn't need a degree to get on these courses and you are not being trained...I bet 90% of the pople there don't even understand the products correctly...you are just taught how to use their trading platform and then they sit u there hoping that the law of large numbers helps them out with young people randomly hitting the buy and sell buttons.....

agree with Robertral

Robertral said:
I don't regard these as grad schemes......one doesn't need a degree to get on these courses and you are not being trained...I bet 90% of the pople there don't even understand the products correctly...you are just taught how to use their trading platform and then they sit u there hoping that the law of large numbers helps them out with young people randomly hitting the buy and sell buttons.....

Junior Trader Opportunity

I am looking to add a junior to my trading team, I am not sure how much experience you have or what your market knowledge is like. Please drop me an email if you would like to know more.

Jason