Anyone use the 50SMA retracing method?

response

tim

"It's because of members like you and posts like yours that other long standing members have felt compelled to either stop posting or resign from T2W altogether"

hurt their feelings ?

or have they just p..ssed of with their bunch of followers some other place to sell their goods ?

you consider away tim, imho many of your posts have very good content

its a bit much to expect to post and only receive ............ YES MAN POSTS imho

imho the arguments and evidence you posted are flawed and incomplete = misleading

"I should PM you first so that you may censor out that which upsets you or you disagree with"

no need for that :)

nothing upsets me regards your posts tim .......... its your opinion from research that you have carried out ........ your taking it personal and its not

it is not a fact thats all, and the tone of your posts suggests it is and that the others are wrong ..... absolute

it is obvious you do not read others posts tim before responding, you just wait for your turn to speak

you posted and saw the need to censor the 50 ma chart tim

the information you have added to the 50 ma chart is not fact and does not help anybody and by your own admission on other threads does not have appeared to have helped you very much regards P & L

the absolute judge and jury !

all the best

Andy

60356d1247322392-anyone-use-50sma-retracing-method-sanmigs_chart.jpg

Last edited:
5Min Intraday System @ Forex Factory

Your post reminded me of Phil Nels 5-min that uses 50-MA strategy.
He has an indicator that quantifies the "angle" of the MA. And only trades when there is a "good" angle.
Unfortunately, the indicator itself is an MT-4 executable, so I cant read what the code is doing. but it must compare the position of a previous point on the MA to current to get the angle.

Its the ruleset of not trading unless the angle is greater than a certain value that should save you trading a choppy market.

have a look at it, seems reasonably similar to what you already do for it to be comfortable for you to adopt or improve upon.

Why can't people just look at an EMA and say it is trending or choppy ... I struggle when people can't do these simple things - Always needing an indicator to TELL them its a LARGE angle, rather than just looking... Its not exactly hard.

Why can't people just look at an EMA and say it is trending or choppy ... I struggle when people can't do these simple things - Always needing an indicator to TELL them its a LARGE angle, rather than just looking... Its not exactly hard.

I agree with you that we should be able to tell the trendiness by looking at the slope.
(or indeed, HrH, HrL, LrH, LrL, etc)
In fact, we should be able to tell S/R by eyeballing.

One aspect you may consider is that one technique of staying away from screens, and only getting interested in a chart is by using indicator value triggers to alert us.
The use of indicators to form a sort of filter so you only need to look at chart when you have something that represents interest.

This does not detract from the traders skills. Merely utilises their time more efficiently.
for example, pin-bars can be coded to alert when it triggers, and then eyeballing to see if it falls on a previous Sup/Res, and thus is valid or not. this means either less time at the screen, or being able to monitor more charts.

indicators to free up the traders time, not to replace skill or judgement.

I agree with you that we should be able to tell the trendiness by looking at the slope.
(or indeed, HrH, HrL, LrH, LrL, etc)
In fact, we should be able to tell S/R by eyeballing.

One aspect you may consider is that one technique of staying away from screens, and only getting interested in a chart is by using indicator value triggers to alert us.
The use of indicators to form a sort of filter so you only need to look at chart when you have something that represents interest.

This does not detract from the traders skills. Merely utilises their time more efficiently.
for example, pin-bars can be coded to alert when it triggers, and then eyeballing to see if it falls on a previous Sup/Res, and thus is valid or not. this means either less time at the screen, or being able to monitor more charts.

indicators to free up the traders time, not to replace skill or judgement.
Interesting point... I can't really say much anyway, i developed my own indicator to tell me the difference between two EMA's and plot it as a histogram rather than using my own discretion to say whether the gap is big enough - Laazzyyy :)

Ebony and Ivory

Does anyone use a 50SMA retracing method where you wait for the price to cross, then on the next retrace you buy or short accordingly? Just wondering whether successful or not.
An example 1 hr chart attached (yellow 50 SMA, red 200SMA)

1HR-GU.jpg

Hi SanMiguel

this thread covers 60 ma method and comes complete with rules and advice on use manual

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-strategies-systems/26464-3-ducks-trading-system.html

Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord, why dont we?
We all know that people are the same where ever we go
There is good and bad in evryone,
We learn to live, we learn to give
Each other what we need to survive together alive.

Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why dont we?

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony
Ebony, ivory, ooh

We all know that people are the same where ever we go
There is good and bad in evryone,
We learn to live, we learn to give
Each other what we need to survive together alive.

Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why dont we?

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony

S&R, MA living in perfect harmony
Side by side on my platform keyboard, oh lord why dont we?

better to debate how not post set in stone absolutes imho anyway, as Split likes to say its all worms eye view from down here

from the articles pages at the front of this site ~

T2W Day Trading & Forex Community

ma method that uses other analysis to refine entry / exit

oh and you will be in need a plan

some helpful guy produced a template back in 2005 (pdf still works) I found this very useful ......... Thankyou Tim (y)

T2W Day Trading & Forex Community

somebody pointed out that my previous post was a bit harsh, the mrs always pulls me on this one

harsh on self to / trading can be a harsh environment / harsh on P P P and method to !

Andy

Attachments

• 3 ducks.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 414
  • T2W_Trading_Plan_Template_2005.pdf
    160.1 KB · Views: 337
Post 41. Not too hard to miss, really.
Only one minor little detail that you've missed altogether Split' is that the chart attached to Tenbob's post #41 is MY chart!
:LOL:
So, if you'd care to edit your previous posts to compliment me on my analysis - that would be very much appreciated! An apology wouldn't go amiss either.
Tim.

Only one minor little detail that you've missed altogether Split' is that the chart attached to Tenbob's post #41 is MY chart!
So, if you'd care to edit your previous posts to compliment me on my analysis - that would be very much appreciated! An apology wouldn't go amiss either.
Tim.

Touchè !

I do apologise, Tim, and give thanks for an understandable analysis. What else can I say!

Personally, though, I don't agree with any of them! SanMiguel's chart looks cleaner, simpler and more logical and my charts are as simple as his, with three different averages.

Andy, you dog, I thought that was your chart! :D

Touchè !

I do apologise, Tim, and give thanks for an understandable analysis. What else can I say!

Personally, though, I don't agree with any of them! SanMiguel's chart looks cleaner, simpler and more logical and my charts are as simple as his, with three different averages.

Split',
Thank you for your gracious response.
Perhaps we can all agree to draw a line under this affair and move on? I hope I can speak for everyone in saying that we subscribe to T2W to help one another and to learn from one another. With that in mind, if Andy would care to give us a little more insight into his most recent chart attachment - that would be appreciated.
Tim.

Tim.

holy-moly!! I repped tenbob for his chart!!
I thought the chart looked dissonant with the accompanying tirade. :cheesy:
I owe you a proper rep.

holy-moly!! I repped tenbob for his chart!!
I thought the chart looked dissonant with the accompanying tirade. :cheesy:
I owe you a proper rep.

Just wait til I get 'old of 'im!

Since we both got stuck in the mire, I'll give you a rep, too!

:D

Andy and I have had an online friendship for several years. It's a liking for each other's style and neither of us are too bad, once you get to know us. :D

Touchè !

What averages do you use?
Here's another example with it bouncing off the 21EMA instead. I can see the S&R lines in the places where it bounces but this is likely traders taking profits and others closing trades to breakeven (the main cause for S&R) then the trend continuing.
50SMA_2.jpg

Stop acting like women. Price may react to MAs just like S&R levels may hold. I'd just say there's less prob of the MA working. Plus the MA is a lagging indicator. Esp in a market when there has been sharp movement. Same with Bollinger. They work well retrospectively but I bet if you take a of every hour for a week...