Anyone use direct (indirect if you're good enough) hedges instead of stops?

Stop posting horrible f@nnies in my thread!
JHC I've got one guy posting suicides and anther posting fetishes.
I'm starting to think that this trading lark makes you insane.

Well, if you trade one instrument and have a view only on that instrument, the only hedge is a stop. As soon as you add more trades, no matter if it's one or several, you have a portfolio and everything I said applies. To me, it's clear that hedges are meaningful only in a portfolio context, almost by definition.

Well as I said earlier in the thread this is a strategy I was considering for trying to catch swings and I would be running positions in multiple crosses so it would be a portfolio.

Well as I said earlier in the thread this is a strategy I was considering for trying to catch swings and I would be running positions in multiple crosses so it would be a portfolio.

Be careful about the multiple cross thing. It's pretty easy to end up with an exposure you weren't planning on. You could end up overly long or short a particular currency. You could do something like ending up with was is effectively a long EUR/JPY position by going long EUR/USD and long USD/JPY.

I know. Don't see why. MBS were AAA and I'd have to argue that I work at least as well as those.