Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Scalping indices

I have been paper trading the FTSE Futures for over a year now, with occasional trades live. I would like to find other FTSE Futures Traders and compare notes.

Hi Martin
I trade Dax - I know not FTSE futures, I know - but there are real similarities between our respective trading although you describe your trading style much more eloquently than I do mine. I describe my trading pattern as watching for any change in direction of short term price - 3-5 mins - whilst taking note of the developing trend across 3min to 1 day timescales. Now, no-one can knock you for the profits you make - but you work soooo hard for your money. You are asking for feedback on different ways of reducing trades volume. I would repeat here advice from professional traders - cut your losses and run your profits. You say your average gain is £35. I dont think you are running profits. My guess is that you are so glad to see blue you rush to take the money and well done you.
I agree with Mornington - you must be drained at the end of each day. My advice, If I dare offer any to someone who has so much going for them, would be to gradually move away from one minute charts towards three and keep a second screen with 10/15 minutes chart. Secondly, backtest all your trades and see what proportion of them went on to much bigger gains - money you could have had - and my guess is that 25% would have earned you over £100 each. Only needs a mathematical calc to develop this strategy. For example, moving your sl in price direction instead of closing all these winning trades could lock in maybe 65% of your current earnings and the rest will increase your earnings eventually with fewer trades. Any help?

S&P now 1842 - Anyone who doesnt think it will hit 1848 and close that F*cking gap, please stop trading and get a proper job. :LOL:

Hi Martin
I trade Dax - I know not FTSE futures, I know - but there are real similarities between our respective trading although you describe your trading style much more eloquently than I do mine. I describe my trading pattern as watching for any change in direction of short term price - 3-5 mins - whilst taking note of the developing trend across 3min to 1 day timescales. Now, no-one can knock you for the profits you make - but you work soooo hard for your money. You are asking for feedback on different ways of reducing trades volume. I would repeat here advice from professional traders - cut your losses and run your profits. You say your average gain is £35. I dont think you are running profits. My guess is that you are so glad to see blue you rush to take the money and well done you.
I agree with Mornington - you must be drained at the end of each day. My advice, If I dare offer any to someone who has so much going for them, would be to gradually move away from one minute charts towards three and keep a second screen with 10/15 minutes chart. Secondly, backtest all your trades and see what proportion of them went on to much bigger gains - money you could have had - and my guess is that 25% would have earned you over £100 each. Only needs a mathematical calc to develop this strategy. For example, moving your sl in price direction instead of closing all these winning trades could lock in maybe 65% of your current earnings and the rest will increase your earnings eventually with fewer trades. Any help?

Yesterday I started tapering as well (on my long hedge positions) ... closed some of the FTSE JAN futures... :LOL:

As you know my main trade is retracements but I've been doing some work on tops and bottoms. This mornings dax was the perfect set up, bollinger band indicator at -02, yesterdays in hours low, S1 and candle close outside the B band and yes I did catch it ;)

Attachments

• tops and bottoms.PNG
    tops and bottoms.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 105
As you know my main trade is retracements but I've been doing some work on tops and bottoms. This mornings dax was the perfect set up, bollinger band indicator at -02, yesterdays in hours low, S1 and candle close outside the B band and yes I did catch it ;)

also would have worked trading a breakout above opening range

So your saying the tops in ??

Nice trade. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

good stuff.

europe bounced before us, must be to do with ecb boe

also would have worked trading a breakout above opening range

True but I am looking for high profit potential and low risk trades. My stop here was 8 points, low risk and the combination of the factors mentioned indicated a good burst up was on the cards. I sold at R1 9524 when it stuttered so I missed the last 20 points, still a nice trade.

I'm waiting for the Dax / Dow to push higher so I can get a better selling price. ;)