Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Yes with PRT its much easier. I use the prorealtrend it to see if i am missing anything. Autochartist.com is pretty goog too.

I do like PRT's charting software. I used to have it when I worked briefly for a bunch of crooks. With OEC I have free data feeds but a slightly less superior charting package.

We just tested the trendline again. It bounced off it, retraced a little and then broke just above it. The FTSE completed its 127% extension and then didn't want to go back and test the high. Let's see what it does at about 3:05pm, after the data has settled in. My gut feeling tells me it will keep going up, but won't know until it does.

Hi Martin.. was out this afternoon.. was there any strong news flow that pushed ftse back up again?

No, don't usually run overnight. You don't really need to get direction right, just the way they are moving relative to each other. At the moment, for example, I don't really care if the market continues down or reverses back up. All I want now is for FTSE to fall less heavily than DOW if it continues down, or rise more strongly than DOW if it goes up.

I treat direction as a sort of bonus. ie: after I think the relative strength/weakness has reached an extreme (and judging that is the difficult bit) I look to trade FTSE first - if that moves off in the right direction then I hold it as a straight trade and that's a bonus, if it goes underwater I hedge and it becomes a "bread and butter" trade.

jon

ps: yeah just use rough and ready 2:1

Hey Jon, are you on the right side of this FTSE strength?

Attachments

• FTSE strength.PNG
    FTSE strength.PNG
    113.8 KB · Views: 110
Hi Martin.. was out this afternoon.. was there any strong news flow that pushed ftse back up again?

John, there was nothing from a european perspective. I put it down to Walmart at noon, Fed's Fischer saying risk of another recession is neglible at 11:56am, Empire State Index and Retail figures at 1:30pm. FTSE has been stronger than the ES.

Bunch of crooks?

When I was new to this futures trading lark I paid £4000 to an outfit that promised to train me and if I was good enough, after 4 months, would be allowed to trade with their money. Turns out they just wanted the money, and even then, they still went bust. I didn't know anything about futures trading and thought that getting trained by so called insiders would be worth the investment. Paying money for training is worth it if they get results. Sadly there are many people in this industry charging ridiculous sums of money for some hype and a few propietary indicators.

Education and time in front of a screen are the best things for futures trading, and a few trading buddies to compare notes with. Trading is very solitary, and it is easy to train yourself in to bad habits. That's why I started this thread, and I am pleased it has many seasoned traders who are willing to share their experiences.

John, there was nothing from a european perspective. I put it down to Walmart at noon, Fed's Fischer saying risk of another recession is neglible at 11:56am, Empire State Index and Retail figures at 1:30pm. FTSE has been stronger than the ES.

Just to add the ECB buying lots and lots of Italian debt rumour at around 11:45. Big turn on the 10 year and equity markets. Will know for sure next week.

I thought it was common knowledge that the ECB was supporting the bond market. I keep hearing them announce it on Ransquawk. Maybe this is the first time they really did something. Can't believe they can keep it up for long.

I thought it was common knowledge that the ECB was supporting the bond market. I keep hearing them announce it on Ransquawk. Maybe this is the first time they really did something. Can't believe they can keep it up for long.

Yes they support it everyday it. But they announce the amount the week after.
I think they must of went in heavy around 11:45. They mentioned it on Ransquawk and CNBC and the markets just switched.

Sucks about your training. I guess you live and learn. Its hard to know what approach to take when learning, i just hit the books.
I agree this forum is a great place to swap ideas.

Missed the open rally as was too busy playing with spreadsheets.
The 7-8 counter movement was a big give away too.
Think it will be sideways now until we get the BOE report. Extend QE maybe?

I hope noone got caught out on that move down.. I was short from 5555 , but only took it down to 5530 , bought it back for a small number of ticks. Glad I didnt leave it !!! Price now at the bottom of its value range from yesterday.. should hold it for a bit.. but below 5444 perhaps a test of 5415 yesterdays low... through this sees 5350 .. perhaps 5309... though that might be tomorrow...

merkel talking in fork tongues
people desperate for massive cash creation to solve a debt problem

markets see-sawing on almost every headline

and not one politician or official in any country has sounded as if they have a sensible idea

is this the perfect fools asylum scenario

11981 to 11751 I fancy :)

Hi DC welcome back ... hope all is well with grandchild.... you may have missed the photo below...... Cant make my mind up on direction today.. I am short FTSE at 5490.. but now looks like it is forming a base to drive up from

Attachments

• Capture baby.JPG
    Capture baby.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 490
Hi y'all.... would like all your thoughts on the following....

has anyone else noticed the uncanny similarity between the price action during Jan, Feb, Mar, April 2008 and what we have seen over the last 4 mths ??? I dont need to tell you what happened in May 2008 and through to Sept/ Oct 2008....

Can anyone say anything or put any argument forward as to why this wouldnt happen this time??

This is important guys.. because we could make a lot of cash if we get this next move right... would very much appreciate input.

Yes with PRT its much easier. I use the prorealtrend it to see if i am missing anything. Autochartist.com is pretty goog too.

Hi Reksa,
just out of interest, have you tried the new procommunity feature?
I'm also a PRT user but haven't got around to checking out the above yet

Hi Reksa,
just out of interest, have you tried the new procommunity feature?
I'm also a PRT user but haven't got around to checking out the above yet

Hey Orangetrader. I am using a watered down version of PRT that is provided by my broker and procommunity is not on it. A friend of mine uses the full version and he was telling me about it, scary if you ask me. I'm not sure I would like to use it.

Do you like PRT? do you use the deal thru?
I think they are really good, had a few issues writing programmes for indicators and i emailed them and they responded in no time at all.

Hey Orangetrader. I am using a watered down version of PRT that is provided by my broker and procommunity is not on it. A friend of mine uses the full version and he was telling me about it, scary if you ask me. I'm not sure I would like to use it.

Do you like PRT? do you use the deal thru?
I think they are really good, had a few issues writing programmes for indicators and i emailed them and they responded in no time at all.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. I have always found the support 1st class. My only niggle is that the data subscription charges aren't cheap. But then these are the tools of our trade so I don't mind paying really. I use a separate application for dealing through IB. I'm going to take a look at procommunity. i'm certainly not ready to compete but apparently you can observe other traders in action so it sounds interesting