Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Just a quick question chaps,

When FTSE opens at 8am I'm unable to place a trade till about 8.01am on this instrument with FXCM, and I miss quite a mammoth move, but my indicators mostly have flagged this 8am trade up.

How can I get in on this trade at 8am, or do I have to wait till 8.01, 0r place the trade the night before, or can I put in a entry order at 7.59am.

I look forward to your reply.

Best
John

When FTSE opens at 8am I'm unable to place a trade till about 8.01am on this instrument with FXCM, and I miss quite a mammoth move, but my indicators mostly have flagged this 8am trade up.

How can I get in on this trade at 8am, or do I have to wait till 8.01, 0r place the trade the night before, or can I put in a entry order at 7.59am.

Best
John

Hello John,
you can place trades virtually 24 hrs a day if you use a spread betting company so guess its something to do with the platform your using.
P.

Best
John

spreadbetting presumably? The "lockdown" period is there to protect them from such moves on ftse open. Any order you might have placed would probably not be executed at the price (slippage) and your best bet would be to enter prior to 8am and pay the extra spread.

Hello John,
you can place trades virtually 24 hrs a day if you use a spread betting company so guess its something to do with the platform your using.
P.

Thanks for your reply postman, and with my FX trading I would agree, but just as I go to place a trade from 07.58-08.01 it wont let me place a trade on FTSE spread-betting.

I guess its time to talk to FXCM(AGAIN).

spreadbetting presumably? The "lockdown" period is there to protect them from such moves on ftse open. Any order you might have placed would probably not be executed at the price (slippage) and your best bet would be to enter prior to 8am and pay the extra spread.

yes you are correct, it is spread-betting. I don't mind paying the extra point before hand, but how much earlier can you place the trade before 8am.

yes you are correct, it is spread-betting. I don't mind paying the extra point before hand, but how much earlier can you place the trade before 8am.

for shares you can't. thought you were talking about ftse. So unless you want to wait 'til they open up your only option is to trade before the previous day's close.

for shares you can't. thought you were talking about ftse. So unless you want to wait 'til they open up your only option is to trade before the previous day's close.

Please excuse me for my vague post. I was meaning the ftse100 index.
:)

afternoon barjon and Mr Fox

you would think they would be losing business by not allowing people to trade, wonder if they even know it is happening

FXCM are a fine company which employs the most brilliant people

on finspreads upto 0750am 2 point spread on ftse

Thanks for your reply Jeffre4, and unfortunately my poison of choice is FXCM, at the moment, but just find it really difficult not to trade the FTSE index. for example yesterday there was a 15 point jump at the open, yet you cant capitalise on it, today there was a 50+ point move(both eg's on 1min chart), that cant be capitalised on because the platform is closed for the first few minutes etc, and this is beginning to **** me off a bit, the problem with jumping in the night before is that if it goes wrong, then your gonna be raped on the price they want to fill your stop at.

Does this make sense.

Best
John.

What is going on with the Dax today - the daily chart is all over the place.
Still its closed the gap - it may well go up from here :eek:

Thanks for your reply Jeffre4, and unfortunately my poison of choice is FXCM, at the moment, but just find it really difficult not to trade the FTSE index. for example yesterday there was a 15 point jump at the open, yet you cant capitalise on it, today there was a 50+ point move(both eg's on 1min chart), that cant be capitalised on because the platform is closed for the first few minutes etc, and this is beginning to **** me off a bit, the problem with jumping in the night before is that if it goes wrong, then your gonna be raped on the price they want to fill your stop at.

Does this make sense.

Best
John.

if you really want to spreadbet on the FTSE between 7.58 and 8.02 am choose another provider, a lot of them will do it.
Maybe check with them first before opening another account. :whistling

i am guessing the dow will struggle to go higher since xom/cvx should be falling.

Kenny Everett, Mornington Crescent (still aint figured that out) careful not to date yourself.

Just noticed this comment.
Your obviously not a radio 4 fan then, wikipedia might help you out.
It's a place you cant get to, just like calculating where the FTSE 'should' be.

In terms of dating myself - I was in the audience at the original screening of "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat" - we all jumped out of our seats. :LOL:

Just noticed this comment.
Your obviously not a radio 4 fan then, wikipedia might help you out.
It's a place you cant get to, just like calculating where the FTSE 'should' be.

In terms of dating myself - I was in the audience at the original screening of "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat" - we all jumped out of our seats. :LOL:

thats excellent

Last edited:
Looks like the Dow is trying to turn the 862 resistance into support for another leg up.