Anyone been able to take advantage of the recent madness in Egypt/Middle-East?

Yes, reminds me of a time when I was working at a US bank, based in their Tokyo office. It was around 4pm, not a whole lot was going on, and then the room started to shake (we were on the 6th floor). It was just a minor earthquake, they're fairly common in Japan. This one was reported on Reuters somehow, and within seconds I had my colleague from London on the blower asking how bad it was, wondering if he should go long USD/JPY.

Cheers mate!

i dont see any problems with trading what is going on in egypt - specially on things like oil, look at the moves it went up about $2 in a straight line then down $2 in a straight line :-0

(i dont trade oil never have done fwiw)

about the ethics thing; i have too points.

one, is that trading on something like war or suffering is only bad if you are starting off the thing.. like getting tramps to fight for money and betting on them, thats well wrong and immoral. but if/when isreal and iran go to war, whats wrong with trading off the back off it? they are going to do it anyway, so you might as well try and make some money. thats a big part of the job after all.

the other thing though is like an imaginary experiment. if say you traded the isreal/iran war, and you LOST money, would you feel "more moral" than you did when you were doing nothing?

its one of those funny things about people and emotions. if i lost money i dont think id feel proud of myself, so why should i feel ashamed if i do make money? or at least try to anyway?

:?:

Invest in the Oslo Stock Exchange.

Stable currency, stable country, wasn't affected by the financial crisis, No debt, enourmous pension/oil fund, Nr 1 on human development and free press, stable low unemploymency at about 2-4% the last.. 30 years..

The Osebx is highly brent driven. The largest companies are Shipping, Seismic, Oil producers, deepsea drilling, oilrig engineering.

So you can imagine, knowing a lot about brent is a huge advantage when trading on Osebx

Check out a 10 year chart on brent and then on Osebx index, you'll see the relation.