Anybody Heard Of Market Focus Ltd?

johnson

Hi

I'm a final year economics student currently applying for jobs. Have managed to get myself an interview with a company in Cardiff called Market Focus Ltd after meeting them at a careers fair.

Has anybody heard of this company?
I think they have another set up in London.

Also any chance anyone could give a brief description of the job, it is all detailed at their website: www.marketfocusltd.co.uk

But a brief description from someone with more knowledge than me would be nice.

Cheers

Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't like the fact that they wrote "We've trained tons of millionaires" on almost every page.

Also, no grade nor funds required to start? Then they must really have confidence in their training...

I agree with gray, surely you can find jobs that are better than this.

Can you expand on 'sounds like a scam'.
What do you think this company do on a day to day basis.
After all there must be many of these trading companies around.
If you know any similar websites where i can get some background on what they do i would be very grateful.
And on what grounds do you make this statement.
Thanks

I don't know what that 'company' does however I am very sure it is not a prop(er) trading arcade. Loads of reasons:

On almost every page they say you are going to get rich in a couple of years.
Most trading arcades want you to put money down and/or pay monthly fees.
The website is very crude and unprofessional.
The only contact details given are one email address; no telephone, no address.
They don't say they are regulated by the FSA or any other body.
They say that on completion of training programme you work 3-5 hours a day - come on, get real.

Need I continue?? Scam. Scam. Scam. I'm just not sure what the scam is yet. However, there are proper trading jobs, look at companies such as http://www.optiver.com/

I understand where your coming from.
The reason I wrote the post was to see what the consensus from people who know more than me was.
I will definately attend the interview and put some of these questions to them.
The reason I am still hopeful is that I think this is a very recent expansion for this company into Cardiff. I think they have a well developed business in London. Repeat: I think!!!
Don't bite my head off for that just yet.

Anyway I will let you know what happens after my meeting next Wednesday.
If anyone has any more valuable insights I would be very grateful.

Thanks

may / may not be a scam - but just a poorish website. The screenshots seem to indicate they use Trading Technologies for Interest Rate Futures (common among these arcades). I think the 50K salary contains a reasonable element of performance pay. There are quiet a few of these arcades around, in fact in my day job I am working on a deal to supply trading software to one such company in London.

Would suggest you go to the interview no harm just be cautious and obviously if they start asking for money from YOU then you might want to ask for the exit! Good luck.

Id be interested to know how you get on at the interview and what your impressions of the firm are. Try PM ing Twalker (he posts regulalry on the trade for a living forum) as he seems to know alot about the prop shop firms and what there reputation is like. The website looks like a GCSE website project and the only contact is an e-mail address, no mention of any FSA accreditation and it seems to good to be true. It isn't aimed at those who know about trading (most of us know that trading 3-5 hours a day, after 1 month training is not going to generate £50,000 income, unless you are very naturally skilled indeed) but more at the general lay person! The fact it is in Cardiff is also a little strange!

But please keep us informed about what you find tux750, if it is a scam then lets expose them!

Thanks guys
Some good stuff for me to ask them about.

Excuse my ignorance but what is PMing, and how do i do it?

Cheers

PS. I know that the salary is small basic pay plus you keep 50% of what you make. They keep the other 50%

Good Interview.
Very professional, very responsible. Great setup.
Only good things to say.
Just wait and see time.

What were they offering tux? i know it was a 50/50 profit split, but what in the way of a basic and are you paid while you're in training? I presume they charge some sort of desk fees? Did you get to meet any of their traders who are already working there and what did they have to say? Did you ask about why they don't mention any FSA authorisation on their website? What did the interview involve? Would you take a position with them in they offered it to you?

Sorry to hear that tux750! Interviews are a horrible experience but they can better the more you do! Any feedback as to why you didn't get offered a position?

Ok Johnson, what was the chat at the interview? You say they had a professional set-up but how did they answer all of your questions about them not even putting an address or telephone contact details on their website??

I would write this firm off as a total scam if it was not for you giving them a good rating. If they are illegitimate, they should be uncovered.

johnson said:
Good Interview.
Very professional, very responsible. Great setup.
Only good things to say.
Just wait and see time.

Did you manage to get any contact details other than the website? If so can you post them.