Any other swing traders?

Spreadbetting. But for indices you could use i-shares. CFD's are an option for big players.

you're right and am planning to move away from spreadbetting because of horrendous problems with my s/b company. Keen to trade sector indices - any ideas?

Tomorton
I to have read Marcs book and found it interesting. Do to other commitments I will not re start trading until later in the new year, but that gives me plenty of time to paper trade it. Also in the book he has an e-mail address and is quite approachable. (well at least for me he was).

Hello all...

Have been reading M.Rivalland's book on Swing Trading. Haven't finished it yet...but seems quite interesting.

Does anyone here follow his modified Gann Swing chart theory ?

Also what is the best software do you use to produce the bar charts shown in the book (i.e. blue for up day and red for down day) ?

TIA...

Read the book recently and am busy backtesting - looks good so far!

I use Sharescope EOD. Great value at 80 quid upfront and 12 pounds a month. You get 3.5 years of reliable hlco backdata - patchy before that up to 10 years.

I am about the restart active trading after a one year break. I have been paper trading using a swing trading approach. For direction, use the 8 hr slow stoch and for entry use a swing reversal breakout technique. For all of the major currencies till now this seems to work well.

hi Baaazzz, and welcome to T2W :D

When you say you use an 8 hr slow stochastic, do you mean an 8 period on an hourly chart? Or are you using end of day charts?

Rainmaker...

Thanks for the info on Sharescope....will have a look into that.
Do you use Sharescope for your charts as well as for the eod data ? or do you use a separate charting software package ?

I'm now half-way thru the book. Now up to the P&F charts chapter. Those which have followed the book, do you use both P&f charts as well as swing charts ?
The book seems to suggest that that you can trade successfully using just swing charts, but probabaly limited to just indices and the top 50 shares.

Think I might backtest using just a few indices and see how I get on.

TIA..

I use s/scope for both data and charting - not the best package in the world but very good value for money. I'm testing both Marc's approaches.

jitasb said:
Hello all...

Have been reading M.Rivalland's book on Swing Trading. Haven't finished it yet...but seems quite interesting.

Does anyone here follow his modified Gann Swing chart theory ?

Also what is the best software do you use to produce the bar charts shown in the book (i.e. blue for up day and red for down day) ?

TIA...

I've been using my own modification of the Gann/Rivalland approach for the last year.

I take selected trades on the CAC, DAX, DJI, HSI, NDX & UKX.

I would suggest that producing colour-coded charts is far from essential.

Marc R shows charts in this way in his book simply to make the position clearer to readers who are probably considering the methodology for the first time.

beartrap

jitasb said:
Rainmaker...

Thanks for the info on Sharescope....will have a look into that.
Do you use Sharescope for your charts as well as for the eod data ? or do you use a separate charting software package ?

I'm now half-way thru the book. Now up to the P&F charts chapter. Those which have followed the book, do you use both P&f charts as well as swing charts ?
The book seems to suggest that that you can trade successfully using just swing charts, but probabaly limited to just indices and the top 50 shares.

Think I might backtest using just a few indices and see how I get on.

TIA..

Personally, I use pfscan in conjunction with Sharescope.

I might look at the p&f chart as well as the Gann/Rivalland swing chart if the position is equivocal on an index trade, but the swing position on the other indices is also relevant - perhaps more so -in such cases.

I do use p&f charts as the primary input to my trading of individual stocks, but not based on Marc R's approach in his book - I trade individual equities on a longer-term investment account basis, not trading the swings as such.

beartrap

With regard to Rivalland, am i wrong in thinking that today was a false start on a continuation of trend signal on the FTSE, meaning a break of yesterdays high after a 3 day complex-ish correction but then, later in the day, a fall below yesterdays low. Lost 25 points (no sympathy cos i am only playing £1 per point), but wandered what others opinions are.

Thanks BB, its good to know i got it right, whatever the result, if you know what i mean. Get the feeling that there may be quite a few false starts coming up....

jonray said:
With regard to Rivalland, am i wrong in thinking that today was a false start on a continuation of trend signal on the FTSE, meaning a break of yesterdays high after a 3 day complex-ish correction but then, later in the day, a fall below yesterdays low. Lost 25 points (no sympathy cos i am only playing £1 per point), but wandered what others opinions are.

Must admit I was a bit confused by this as originally I thought it may be a failed signal (intra-day reversal) rather than a false start. But this applies to trend change signals rather than trend continuation signals. So perhaps a false start it is.
If the market goes higher tomorrow and continues to go higher say for the next few days...would this be considered as a swing low or not ? It would look like a swing low on the chart even though we would have been stopped out of the trade ??

Ta..

Yes it would be a swing low jitash even though we got stopped out. Its got to move a bit though to get back up to the next signal and i think we will need the help of the dow to get there.

jitasb said:

Must admit I was a bit confused by this as originally I thought it may be a failed signal (intra-day reversal) rather than a false start. But this applies to trend change signals rather than trend continuation signals. So perhaps a false start it is.
If the market goes higher tomorrow and continues to go higher say for the next few days...would this be considered as a swing low or not ? It would look like a swing low on the chart even though we would have been stopped out of the trade ??

Ta..

Rivalland describes a signal such as yesterday's as a false start: the market gave a continuation of trend buy signal which was quickly reversed. For a valid swing low to be formed (and therefore the Change of Trend point to be moved up), then by definition a further Continuation of Trend signal (which is not a false start) will have to be given first.

If the market gave such a signal and stayed above the new putative Change of Trend point for a few days, then it would have validated a new swing low. But if, in doing so, it didn't move very far above that point before falling back below it to give a Change of Trend signal, that last Continuation signal could be seen (in retrospect) as a failed signal.

Basically, the way I see it, a failed signal is one which is valid in terms of defining swing highs / lows, but which doesn't move far enough to produce a worthwhile profit for the swing trader.

It's all in the book, but there's quite a lot to take in! :)

beartrap

Thanks guys...

So now after FTSE has closed...today was a 'down day' ..
If tomorrow the FTSE rises above today's high...then that is a buy signal and today was the 'real' swing low.
Would this be correct ??

Great fun this swing trading isn't it ?....TIA for any replies